Latest Word from Uniworld Regarding the River Tosca

sands28

"Uniworld indeed canceled all dates in June, July and August (already before the unrest in Egypt) because we are going to update the River Tosca and that’s why it has to go for 3 months into dry-dock

We are going to have a fresh start in September."

sands28,

Where did you get this information? We are scheduled on the River Tosca for the same date as you and we've been watching the Uniworld site for updates. Currently, the site only indicates that the trips are cancelled through the end of May.

Sandy & Rob

I did a Google search looking for additional information about Egyptian River Cruises and found the information. I emailed him and I posted his reply as received.

I hope we get to meet on in Cairo on Oct 22nd.

Howard and Michele Sands

Mr. Hoek is extermely helpful. He works in the LA office of Uniworld. HE has provided me with a detailed daily outline of the trip. This is very important to us in understand what we will see and when we will see it. It also shows when we will have free time. The only bad part is that it also shows the very, very early start of the excusions on several days.

Feel free to contact him at his email addreess: mhoek@uniworld.com, or at 800.733.7820, ext. 2558.

Hi Howard and Michelle,

I know you are really looking forward to your Egypt river cruise, but I wanted you to know that Regent and Seaborne have just cancelled their stops in Egypt for the rest of the year. There were more demonstrations this week and the military is in charge. I don't really think that the river boat lines know what they will be doing in October right now. The passengers' safety is the most important thing.

Sheila

The whole travel situation in Egypt appears very confusing. Uniworld's sister company Insight (who by the way use different cruise ships) have put this on their Australian website.

EGYPT - Insight Vacations is pleased to announce it has resumed immediate operation of its Egypt itineraries, following relaxation of recent Travel Advisories for Egypt.

Please check government advice for further information regarding this Travel Advisory.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Egypt.

Insight Vacations will continue to monitor the situation in Egypt. As always, the safety and security of our passengers and staff are our top priority.

NB. Itineraries that include the MS River Tosca will resume operation in September.

I can fully understand if anyone planning a trip to Egypt this year is confused. I'm so glad we had that wonderful holiday in April 2008.

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

The tension concerning the cruise was getting to be unbearable. We transfered our Uniworld cruise from Egypt in Oct. to the Uniworld Duro Spirit in June 2012. The penality was either $100 or $200pp. I will call Luftansa and cancel our flights. We will have until November to use the money, minus another $200pp penality.

I explored other potential tours of Egypt and found that Odysseys Unlimited has an outstanding tour (12-24 people per tour). It is 17 days and tours by bus and two smaller boats. Their tour includes Abel Simbel and Alexander in the tour price. Cost with mandatory airfare ranges between $3800 and $4500 depending on the month and the departure city. I figure that the money we lost by canceling the River Tosca will easily be made back by the savings on Odysseys Unlimited. In addition, I think it is a better tour experience. Odsseys Unlimited has received excellent reviews and is used by many university alumni departments for alumni cruises.

We were supposed to be on the Tosca in February, but our trip was cancelled due to the rioting. We were very much looking forward to this trip, but will not rebook until the situation in Egypt (and surrounding countries) has stabilized. I absolutely would not consider going to Egypt in October or November, which is when their elections are supposed to take place. I'm not a timid traveler, but it's just not worth the potential risk.

Archived