Round Trip discounted rates on QM2?

YvonneE

i dont have official information but i believe there are certain paired crossings where the return trip is discounted 50%. i did this in october and november. the only requirement, i believe, is that you occupy the same cabin or suite in both directions. usually they list which crossings are paired int their brochure (they used to with the QE2) but i assume if you call cunard directly or have your TA do it, they will give you all the pertinent information.

You have it right. We have booked a 'return' for May/June.

I wonder if they consider this two trips? I believe they did when we did the same thing on the QE. Thinking about our World Club benefit.

Both trips are counted as 2 trips. If you are picky about cabins you may have to change cabins on the return. If not, you can occupy the same one. It all depends on what you want to spend. We just went through all this for our round trips booked for this year. And yes, it's 50 percent off on the return whether you switch cabins or not. And we booked through Cunard not a travel agent, so that may change the rules for some. We booked round trip transatlantic on the QM2, over and back, no other stops.

LM1 - when did you book? I booked in July of 2004 - I have just received a reply from World Club who are telling me, just as the other poster indicated, it is considered ONE voyage if it's invoiced together - I checked back and my round trip on QE had been invoiced on 2 separate invoices. I still think a round trip should be considered two events - and indeed on the invoice each voyage carries it's own voyage number.

I have asked for clarification - I would think the insurance coverage would be affected by this ruling also.

DocM3,

Are you taking a cruise that is really considered "round trip" to begin with or are you doing something like we are? We booked only 2 months ago through Cunard on the QM2, round trip (never get off the ship) on the April 22 crossing from NY to South Hampton, and the 28th from South Hampton to NY, with no stops, other than letting people off and on in England. Then again, basically the same in October. We received 50 percent off the return voyages, and have one booking number for each. 1 number for April, and 1 for October. That is considered four trips for each of us, according to Cunard, and neither is advertised as "roundtrip" on the web site (maybe that makes a difference?), and like I mentioned previously, they have sent me it in writing with our paid invoices about each trip counting as 1 across, 1 back, and they are listed as 2 separate transatlantic crossings on the web site (Cunard's). I would have put up a fuss for sure if that wasn't so, as it is really 2 separate trips, back and forth. We just choose not to get off the ship. Also, what do you mean about the insurance? We purchased it for both round trips and it is supposed to cover west to east and east to west. I am using "round trip" terminology, but as I said, these really aren't considered "roundtrip" cruises as advertised by Cunard. I think they have one on the web site for April 10th.....as a roundtrip, possibly that is considered 1 voyage if booked that way.

Laura

Thanks for your explanation - it surely helps.

In our case we are making two distinct trips - we are spending three weeks inbetween the travel days - New York departure May 4th, Southampton departure June 3rd. I can't see how they can possibly call this "one trip".

I'll see what they have to say in response to my e-mail.

I called the insurance company and there is no problem there whether Cunard calls it one trip or two.

Thanks again.

Archived