Time Zone: Serenade Southern Caribbean

I'm sure someone can answer this pretty easily.

The Serenade roundtrips out of San Juan and travels to Southern Caribbean Islands. Is there going to be a difference between "ship" time and "port" time for any of the islands during Daylight Savings?

I believe ship time will be the same as port time for this reason. I believe (sorry for another qualifier) that all the islands the Serenade calls on are in the Atlantic time zone. While the US is observing DST, Eastern Daylight time will be the same as Atlantic Standard Time. In other words no time change between East Coast to San Jaun or any of the islands you visit. We should all be one happy time zone.

• 6 months later...

We are on the Serenade in a few weeks, after daylight savings time change. Just wanted to get some recent experiences if the cruise is still following Atlantic time (i.e., the same time as the Southern Carib islands and San Juan).

Thanks very much!

Puerto Rico is already *IN* the Atlantic time zone. Since you are flying to San Juan after Nov. 6th, you should set your watch on the flight from the mainland.

Aloha,

John

Yeah, I can't imagine why the ship wouldn't be on Atlantic time, but since it's not specified on any of the docs, I figured I shouldn't assume anything.

We are on the Serenade in a few weeks, after daylight savings time change. Just wanted to get some recent experiences if the cruise is still following Atlantic time (i.e., the same time as the Southern Carib islands and San Juan).

Thanks very much!

Yes, we sailed her October 2nd...ships time was the same as island time. :)

I had the same question about the cruise we're taking in a few weeks. Actually, the question was posed to me by the tour business on island that we are booking directly. they asked us to make sure the arrival time of the ship was Atlantic time and was not holding to Eastern DT as ship time.

I called RCCL the operator wasn't sure so she checked with someone else who said the ship would remain on it's own time. When I questioned if that was so, how do they handle ships that go over more than 1 or 2 time zones. She again asked someone else and came back to restate that on this trip the ship would remain on Eastern time as ship time.

Not satisfied, I called my TA as posed the question. She felt certain the shop would change time zones but called 'their' desk at RCCL to verify. She came back to say that the person she talked with agreed the ship would be changing time zones to local time.

If they're wrong I will miss a tour worth a few hundred dollars. On second thought, maybe that's why it's not crystal clear. If I had booked thru the ship, I wouldn't have that worry.

Too bad I can not remember how it was handled on other cruises.

What I did last year was google each port we were going to, to see what time they would be on while we were there. Some countries observe DST, and some don't. I needed to do this as we were booking private excursions. I really recommend you do that for each port.

Just google the port and time. Write it down. ;)

To dogear789, we have been on the same ship and the same itinerary, on one voyage we changed times and on the other we did not. No hard and fast rules here, you can't be sure until the ship tells you what the time will be. If we are still talking about the Serenade out of San Juan, it should be on Atlantic Time (San Juan) for the trip and what ever the ship times are, most likely will be local time at the stops. Good luck, hope it works out!!

To dogear789, we have been on the same ship and the same itinerary, on one voyage we changed times and on the other we did not. No hard and fast rules here, you can't be sure until the ship tells you what the time will be. If we are still talking about the Serenade out of San Juan, it should be on Atlantic Time (San Juan) for the trip and what ever the ship times are, most likely will be local time at the stops. Good luck, hope it works out!!
There is one pretty much hard and fast rule -- If the embark/debark port and every port the ship visits are all in the same time zone, the ship will not change time during the cruise.

Archived