Bonaire Snorkeling

golfer1966

We were on Woodwinds last Wednesday. We're experienced snorkelers and have done a lot of snorkeling in many ports across the Caribbean and in Hawaii (at Kona as well). Our experiance on the Woodwinds drift snorkel (3 hour trip for cruisers) was extraordinary. It was probably the best snorkeling we've ever done with the possible exception of the snorkeling at Kona.

Seas were pretty rough our day and the water wasn't quite as clear as in some of the photos on Woodwind's site, but the snorkeling was still exceptional and covered a broader range of interesting reefs and sea life than we've encountered elsewhere. I'll have photos to post in a few days.

The crew was first rate and did a great job in outfitting everyone and even properly cleaning the masks people brought on board themselves so fogging was not an issue. They separated us into small groups each accompanied by a guide who showed pointed out a lot of interesting things.

Do be aware that this trip is all about the snorkeling. The boat ride was fine on a pretty basic sailing catamaran type boat, but it was basic transportation to/from the snorkeling area for our trip unlike some excursions that are more about the sailing that the snorkeling.

I snorkeled in Bonaire 2 years ago and loved it. This year (2011), I snorkeled in both St Johns and St Croix and it was awesome, but the clarity of the water doesn't compare with Bonaire. Dee from Woodwind is an awesome guide - points out the wonders of the sea. Trips I took this year, the crews gave basic information, but did not snorkel with our group.

Have snorkeled in the Bahamas, Cozumel, Cabo San Lucas, St. Thomas, Tortola, Roatan and St. Maarten, and Bonaire has them all beat. Just got back from my first time to Bonaire last week. The clarity of the water and beautiful reef formations are unbelievable!!

I have snorkeled and dove too many places to list. Bonaire is by far the best. It is amazing. Can't wait to go back.

Have snorkeled in the Bahamas, Cozumel, Cabo San Lucas, St. Thomas, Tortola, Roatan and St. Maarten, and Bonaire has them all beat. Just got back from my first time to Bonaire last week. The clarity of the water and beautiful reef formations are unbelievable!!

• 3 weeks later...
I have read several posts on the snorkeling here. Is it really that good.?

For the caribbean it's quite good, but doesn't compare to the Red Sea or the Maldives. The Plaza Resort Hotel has one of the best off-the beach sites. You can pay $10 to use their facilities, inc shuttle transfer to & fro, loungers & swimming pool. They have a stand as you come off the ship.

Archived