Belikin Beer

dabeers1

Some tips for those of you that want to buy some Belikin beer to bring home / on the boat with you:

There is a Belikin store in Terminal #1. Their prices are $15 for a 6-pack or 2 bottles for $5 and they also have merchandise. They were sold out of all but 12 bottles by 4:30 the day I went.

Some of the Diamonds International stores that have liquor inside also have Belikin. Last week, only the one in Terminal #4 had any left at 4:30. They had a bunch of Belikin Premium left and they were selling it for $7 for a 6-pack! They also had sealed cardboard cases of 24 bottles (but only Belikin premium)

Some tips for those of you that want to buy some Belikin beer to bring home / on the boat with you:

There is a Belikin store in Terminal #1. Their prices are $15 for a 6-pack or 2 bottles for $5 and they also have merchandise. They were sold out of all but 12 bottles by 4:30 the day I went.

)

If you go into the City the cost of bottle of Belikin in a store is $3 Belize ($1.50 US).

In a bar you should pay $5.00 Belize.

Some of the Diamonds International stores that have liquor inside also have Belikin. Last week, only the one in Terminal #4 had any left at 4:30. They had a bunch of Belikin Premium left and they were selling it for $7 for a 6-pack! They also had sealed cardboard cases of 24 bottles (but only Belikin premium)

When you bring beer on the ship do they hold it for you till disembarking and is it easy to get thru customs? Thanks Kelli

Partially depends ont he ship and partially on how much you bring on.

If you're toting up a case of the stuff, most ships will point you to the liquor table and make you give it to them to store until your last night. You have to declare it and it counts against the liquor quota (one liter duty free), but some customs agents just give you a slap on the wrist and a free pass on extra duties to be paid, if its only a small amount.

If you're only bringing a sixer or few bottle to drink on board and they'r ein your beach bag, you'll probably get past the liquor table and, assuming you have any left, if packed in your suitcase and nothing else grabs the attention of the customs agents, or dogs, you'll get through customs too.

I recently returned from a cruise on the NCL Sun. I bought 6 bottles of Belikin and had them in my beach tote. They were confiscated when I boarded - I was expecting that. No big deal - they were to bring home, not drink on board - I just picked them up the last night of the cruise. Sitting here drinking one right now as a matter of fact :-)

If you are already in Belize, why not try the one barrel rum...that is the real stuff...beer you can buy anywhere else and it is produced in big central locations, nothing to do with the local thing...just my point of view

Partially depends ont he ship and partially on how much you bring on.

If you're toting up a case of the stuff, most ships will point you to the liquor table and make you give it to them to store until your last night. You have to declare it and it counts against the liquor quota (one liter duty free), but some customs agents just give you a slap on the wrist and a free pass on extra duties to be paid, if its only a small amount.

If you're only bringing a sixer or few bottle to drink on board and they'r ein your beach bag, you'll probably get past the liquor table and, assuming you have any left, if packed in your suitcase and nothing else grabs the attention of the customs agents, or dogs, you'll get through customs too.

Thanks. If I like it alot I might have to get a case and take my chance with customs.

I recently returned from a cruise on the NCL Sun. I bought 6 bottles of Belikin and had them in my beach tote. They were confiscated when I boarded - I was expecting that. No big deal - they were to bring home, not drink on board - I just picked them up the last night of the cruise. Sitting here drinking one right now as a matter of fact :-)

Glad you made it home with out any breaking. Driving to port so not worried about airlines handling my bags, just how to get all my acohol thru customs.

If you are already in Belize, why not try the one barrel rum...that is the real stuff...beer you can buy anywhere else and it is produced in big central locations, nothing to do with the local thing...just my point of view

While true 1 barrel is unique, you can only buy it at their heritage center in Belize. Entails an extra cab ride, 40 minute RT. And you can buy it on line or in the US so not difficult to locate. Belikin beer is only brewed in one brewery just north of Belize city. Only beer sold in Belize so it too is unique. Availability in US is spotty.

While true 1 barrel is unique, you can only buy it at their heritage center in Belize. Entails an extra cab ride, 40 minute RT. And you can buy it on line or in the US so not difficult to locate. Belikin beer is only brewed in one brewery just north of Belize city. Only beer sold in Belize so it too is unique. Availability in US is spotty.

I will have to see if this is true in the City..I drink "carribean dark rum" not 1 barrel so i dont look for it. but here in san pedro one barrel is sold everywhere. Ill be in the city on thursday so i will take a look.

Thank you for the info! We always buy a 6-pack and bring back in our beach bag to enjoy on the balcony. We don't plan to do an excursion but we will be going into the port for a Belikin.

You can sometimes find Belikin Premium in BevMo. Personally, I always leave Belize with a couple bottles of Mr. P's Cashew Wine. That us something you won't find anywhere else.

I will have to see if this is true in the City..I drink "carribean dark rum" not 1 barrel so i dont look for it. but here in san pedro one barrel is sold everywhere. Ill be in the city on thursday so i will take a look.

Wade...that'd be great to check! I was reading the availability off their website so could have misread the intent.

I did self-debarkation and told the customs guy I had 10 bottles of beer in my suitcases and he smiled and said go ahead. Carrying an entire case through may be different, but may depend on the day.

Thank you for the info! We always buy a 6-pack and bring back in our beach bag to enjoy on the balcony. We don't plan to do an excursion but we will be going into the port for a Belikin.

Take David C with you and make sure he gets a bottle of the stout to try, before switching back to Premium. :)

Thanks. If I like it alot I might have to get a case and take my chance with customs.

Well, after running through a few different threads on drinking and bringing booze back on these boards and some other discussions on othe rsites re US Customs, it seems that so long as you declare the beer/liquor on your customs declaration and do not have other declarations that total more than your $800 exemption, they're not going to charge you duty. Duty is only 3% of the value anyway. So if you buy a Tag Hauer from one of the DI shops and then buy a bottle of booze on the ship and then bring on a case of Belikin, you might get charged duty on the excess $100 for the watch and the beer $48 ($2/bottle value), for a grand total of $4.44:p

May not be worth the agent's time on that one.

fewer111...wadethegringo went into Belize City yesterday and reprots that Brodies, the general store along Albert street a few blocks on the other side of the swing bridge from the Tourisim Village, has 1Barrel at US$10 a bottle! Worth the 10 mintue walk for sure.

I was in Belize Port last week on Spirit. There is a liquor store in the open end mall at the very left end of port, (you can't go any farther). Go inside it is about 2nd shop on left. He has a small cooler with 6 packs of Belikin for $7 U.S. If you walk all the way through is where the buses unload next to the tiny Immigration Building. I had my cooler on wheels with Ice, had a great afternoon drinking a few COLD ONES!!:)

Archived