GREATER MIAMI: Favorite NON Tourist places -- Or where Locals might also go?

RSS from SF

Greater Miami: Favorite NON Tourist places -- Or interesting or good places where Locals might also go?

Hey there -- PLEASE HELP US if you can!

We REALLY want to explore and experience the LOCALS' Greater Miami and beyond!

We (2 adults) are in Miami 1 full day pre-cruise, and 3 full days pre-cruise.
Have been to Miami before but mostly for stopovers and just a handful of tourist activities.

Our schedule in Miami is:

• 1 Day: Fri 4/8/05 at 7am (from MIA) -to- Sat 4/9/05 at 10am;
    Probably sleeping at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami.
  • 3 Days: Sat 4/16/05 from Noon -to- 4pm on Tue 4/19/05;
    Probably sleeping at the Crowne Plaza Royal Palm Resort -or- the Crescent Suites.

I know these hotels are great locations for their respective tourist areas, and we like to walk.

I've also rented cars for both segments so we can get out and go places, including out of town.
    -- Especially for Post-Cruise -- because we'll have an SUV for this segment!

So, We're now on a HUNT for:

1. NON Tourist spots:
    Where Locals go, but interesting enough for Non-Locals, too.

2. Tourist Spots:
    But where Locals go feel comfortable and enjoy enough to be a tourist, too!*

3. Local Restaurants or Bakeries:
    Especially those that have local specialties -- that Locals patronize and are identified with or are representative of Miami or the region. Also bakeries that are good for breakfast things -or- are open late.

4. Best Great AUTHENTIC Restaurants that are
    Cuban, Puerto Rican, Brazilian, or Argentinian:
    Anywhere from the Abuelita/Grandmother cooking to Upscale.

5. Neighborhoods:
    Good* parts of neigborhoods that are good to walk or drive around -- that the Locals shop, walk, and enjoy.

6. Drives or short Road Trips:
    Whether morning, afternoon, or evening. Scenic Routes, good unique Stops, Destinations, cool Back Roads (safe* ones, of course!) are all good! Up to a 1/2 day (maybe longer but preferably no longer than 6, max 8 hours round-trip.)

*What's Good and/or Safe for me? --
    I'm comfortable with urban decay settings and I'm not bothered by dicey areas:cool: [i've lived in them] --
    BUT, I don't want to go where I would want to arm myself with a knife or gun!
    (In my own hometown, I'm aware enough to not wear red or blue [the traditional gang colors] in certain areas nor do I knowingly go into crime hot spots.)

LANGUAGE:

If it makes a difference also: My buddy speaks fluent Spanish. My Spanish is atrocious -- heck let's say I don't know it all! -- but in predominately Spanish-speaking neighborhoods I "look" like I would know Spanish.

RECOMMENDATIONS?

Do you have any favorite non-touristy spots you like to go here -- or maybe a spot you like to go where you don't "just" feel like a tourist?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions! -RSS from SF-

P.S. RESTAURANTS we already plan to visit:

-- We've been to Versailles Restaurant once for lunch and are going there again.

-- Planning to eat at Porcao also; haven't been here, but I've been to the Ipanema one in Rio de Janeiro once and loved it and I miss it!

--
I might also want to try Sunday Brunch either at Versailles or Porcao, unless there's another only-Sunday-and-only-in-Miami option.

Cheers! -R-

3 restaurants that I always try to visit when in the area are:

Joe's Stone Crab in South Beach. Go for lunch (except Sun & Mon) it's less crowded.

Wolfie Cohen's Rascal House at 171st and Collins Ave (A1A) in North Miami Beach. Especially for breakfast. The quintessential Jewish deli. I hope you like bread and pastry. You could also try Jerry's in South Beach at 15th & Collins. Same ownership. Both are open 24 hours a day.

Puerto Sagua at 7th & Collins in South Beach. Cheap and good Cuban food.

These are all institutions in Miami Beach, attract locals and tourists, all in business for over 40 years. For more detail check in at http://www.roadfood.com

In Coral Gables, which is worth a look, you will find a great Sunday brunch at the Biltmore Hotel, not cheap. Also the world's largest swimming pool (I think), the Venetian Pool. Open to the public.

A visit to Fort Lauderdale is a nice way to spend a day. Shop and stroll on Las Olas Blvd. and ride the Water Taxi for a couple of hours. You'll see huge yachts, mansions, etc. in the closest thing to Venice we have in the US.

Signman -

Thanks for the all restaurant recommendations and tips! Jerry's Deli will be especially convenient since it's 24 hours and right by the Crowne Plaza Royal Palm.

And also much appreciated for telling me about roadfood.com; I logged in and I'm now checking out their reviews and tips.

Regards,

RSS

One of the things you should really try is Cuban Food in Miami!

I used to live there many years ago. I noticed that the same restaurant I used to frequent is still in business! Wow!

You'll need a car to get there. It's not fancy, but the food is fabulous!

Rio Crystal

9872 Bird Road

Miami, FL

305-223-2357

Give Pepe a hug from me! :D

tinkerme1 -

Thank you Celia! Rio Crystal does sound great. If we have the chance I'd like to get there -- and to say hi for Pepe for you!

Gracias!

-RSS-

http://guide.10best.com/details.process/OID_C1E18AD4/CID_1/GMID_6518/emailID_40af21a126/BID_54248/

Rio Cristal (Restaurants - Cuban) 9872 Bird Rd, Miami 33165-3912 • 305-223-2357

Description: WEST DADE. If for no other reason, this Cuban treasure makes a quick road trip out to West Dade worthwhile. Don't expect much in terms of flashy decor and and SoBe-esque neon - the emphasis here is on home cooking. Indeed, inexpensive eats and a friendly atmosphere are always on the menu at Rio Cristal, where Pepe and family serve up traditional homemade servings of their famous grilled steak, frijoles negros (black beans), gran guinero steak with fried potatoes, and lobster enchilada with ripe plantains.

Hours: Mon-Sat 11am-10pm, Sun noon-10pm

RSS from SF

Hi from the UK. We are staying in the Royal Palm Crowne Plaza Resort when we stay for a 3 day pre-cruise in August before a 2 week back to back on Carribbean Princess. This is the hotel Princess puts the Brits in, but I have not seen hardly any mention of this hotel on the boards. Would be grateful if on your return when/if you do a report you would say about the hotel, the places, restaurants etc you visited. We have not been to Maimi before and very much looking forward to our Aug holiday. Hope you have a great time and look forward to your report.

The Royal Palm Crown Plaza is in an excellent location in South Beach. My husband and I spend a lot of time in South Florida and these are my tips.

The Royal Palm is oceanfront and has a pool which isn't that common in South Beach. It is in the Lincoln Road Mall area which has great dining and shopping. Lincoln Road Mall is an outdoor pedestrian mall.

For great authentic Cuban I love Davids II on the corner of Meridian and Collins.

Delano Hotel: This is a must stop. Go inside and gawk at the visually stunning lobby. Then go outback to the pool bar and order a mojito to celeb watch. If you don't see one outside, you'll surely see one in the lobby.

The Hotel: Walk to the Todd Oldham designed The Hotel and take the elevator to the top floor. The pool is on the roof of this hotel. One of the most stunning views in South Beach. They also have the best mojitos in South Beach. The restaurant Wish, is one of the best in Miami.

The Shore Club: Walk north to The Shore Club so that you can go to Sky Bar. It is amazing. This is a cross between a nightclub/lounge/bar that doesn't have that snotty South Beach attitude. Professional crowd.

The Forge: One of the best restaurants in Miami as well as one of the oldest. Largest wine celler in the southeast. It's sister nightclub JimmyZs is hopping on Sunday and Wednesday. This is in Mid Beach a bit north of South Beach.

Skip Joe's Stone Crab and go to Monty's. Less expensive and less attitude.

Wolfie Cohen's Rascal House is fantastic. I've been eating there as long as I can remember.

News Cafe on Ocean Drive: Moderately inexpensive place to eat and great people watching.

Puerto Sagua is fantastic. I wouldn't go to Versailles when Puerto Sagua and David's are just as good if not better. Versailles has an outpost in the airport.

We do any tours with the Historical Museum of Southern Florida and Dr. George. If they offer the tour of Stiltsville (www.Stiltsville.org) and Biscayne Bay, go on that tour. Stiltsville is a cluster of homes built on the water about a mile into Biscayne Bay. www.Historical-Museum.org

Hotel hop. Check out The Ritz-Carlton, The Victor (Hyatt), The Tides, The Hotel, The Delano, The Shore Club and all the deco hotels on Ocean Drive. Most of the hotels on Ocean Drive have bars/restaurants on the front porches and make great places to people watch.

The most wild happy hour in town is the bar at The Clevelander. Wow!

Places to skip: Nikki Beach and Crobar unless you are 22 like loud music and want to stay up all night.

South Beach is a very expensive town. Plan on spending $250 on dinner for two at the trendier restaurants like Wish, Rumi, BED, Blue Door, Pacific Time, etc.

Nightclubs are insanely expensive. Plan on a two drink minimum for a table in a nightclub and when they say drink, they mean the whole bottle. A bottle starts around $250. Plan on cover charges being $20-$50.

BlueHerons -

Thank you very much for your extremely helpful recommendations and insights.

I'm looking forward to using as many of your tips as I can!

I think that I'll be able to go to Puerto Sagua for sure, and perhaps even David's, too! I'm hitting Versailles not because it's the best, but because it's just a real unique experience that I associate with Miami; it actually beats the pants off most of the Cuban restaurants in San Francisco and Northern California, handily. I also want to venture beyond South Beach to see the more local neighborhoods on this trip. I think I'll spend some time on Calle Ocho as well as other areas.

Thanks again, -RSS from SF-

swimcoach -

Hopefully BlueHerons has provided you with an abundance of Great leads!

I also plan to post back here when I return.

Cheers, -R-

I'll throw in my reccomendation for spending a few hours in Little Havana. Just stroll up one side of the street and down the other. Stop in some of the shops, buy a fruit drink and a plaintain at an open air food market, and poke your head in the window of the El Credito cigar factory to see the ladies feverishly rolling some of my favorite tobacco (La Gloria Cubano cigars). It really gives the feel of being in Havana.

While I look absolutely like the most non-cuban person ever, I felt safe on the main road. However, I didn't feel like wandering down any of the side residential streets. When I was there a few years ago, there were still some "Free Elian" signs about.

Bill

I'll throw in my reccomendation for spending a few hours in Little Havana. Just stroll up one side of the street and down the other. Stop in some of the shops, buy a fruit drink and a plaintain at an open air food market, and poke your head in the window of the El Credito cigar factory to see the ladies feverishly rolling some of my favorite tobacco (La Gloria Cubano cigars). It really gives the feel of being in Havana.

While I look absolutely like the most non-cuban person ever, I felt safe on the main road. However, I didn't feel like wandering down any of the side residential streets. When I was there a few years ago, there were still some "Free Elian" signs about.

Bill

Wulicny -

Thanks for the recommendation and your observations Bill! I'm psyched and I'm really looking forward to visiting Little Havana!

Much appreciated,

-RSS-

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
RSS, you sound like you are a "foodie". go to chowhound.com click on "south" then click on Florida. There are tons of posts about great local places! People there are nice too!

Pennstategal -

Thanks for the rec! In fact, I use Chowhound for most of my food tips and recommendations. I just got back and had a fantastic time with awesome food.

Happy cruising and chowing!

-RSS-

("rssfromsf" on chowhound.com)

• 1 month later...

Too late for RSS, but for the true local flavor of the rural Miami area -- called the Redland -- take a look at http://www.redlandriot.com -- it will give you a self-guided tour that you can do in a day, and you’ll visit historic places, places with great local food, and a part of the Miami area that most tourists don’t even know about. One caution: check the various destinations, as some are not open year round.

Too late for RSS, but for the true local flavor of the rural Miami area -- called the Redland -- take a look at www.redlandriot.com -- it will give you a self-guided tour that you can do in a day, and you’ll visit historic places, places with great local food, and a part of the Miami area that most tourists don’t even know about. One caution: check the various destinations, as some are not open year round.
Thank you Judyzoo! -

Sounds like a great area to explore next time I'm out that way again. I'll file this for my future forays.

Much appreciated, -R-

Archived