Ultimate Ship Tour

mulliganmonkey

Hi, from what I have read here on CC, this is something you should sign up for as soon as you are on board. My concern is we are doing the Alaska land tour prior to the cruise and we won't be boarding until 6:30 while others can start boarding at 1:00. Do you think this will be an issue? It's our first cruise and one of the "must dos". I appreciate all the help this board has provided me. :p

If more people sign up than they can take on the tour, they will do a lottery. Just sign up and see what happens. When we did the tour on the Crown Princess, they didn't have to have the lottery.

Does anyone know if you can not take the robe they give you and have the price reduced? The robes are very comfortable but take too much luggage space and weigh too much for airline baggage rates

Does anyone know if you can not take the robe they give you and have the price reduced? The robes are very comfortable but take too much luggage space and weigh too much for airline baggage rates

No reduction in price if you don't accept the "presents". We tried to trade the robes for the light weight robes, with no luck - but if you do the tour early enough in the cruise, you can consider taking the bathrobes, the chef's jackets, the photo album, etc. and heading to a FedEx office in one of your ports and mailing them home. Probably cheaper than paying for the extra baggage/weight with the airlines.

No reduction in price if you don't accept the "presents". We tried to trade the robes for the light weight robes, with no luck - but if you do the tour early enough in the cruise, you can consider taking the bathrobes, the chef's jackets, the photo album, etc. and heading to a FedEx office in one of your ports and mailing them home. Probably cheaper than paying for the extra baggage/weight with the airlines.

On the recent Ruby Princess sailing I was on, the only time the UST was offered was on the last sea day.

I like to go on the UST on each different ship I sail on. I have a couple of the terrycloth bathrobes and they do take up quite a bit of luggage space and are heavy. On the Emerald they said they would change the bathrobe for me to the waffleweave one and they did not. They also gave me an XL chef's jacket when I requested a M. When I did the tour on the Crown they were very accommodating and I got the waffleweave robe no problem. As a matter of fact the fellow that was handeling it for me called a couple of times to be sure I got the right items. Guess it just depends on the crew.

I like to go on the UST on each different ship I sail on. I have a couple of the terrycloth bathrobes and they do take up quite a bit of luggage space and are heavy. On the Emerald they said they would change the bathrobe for me to the waffleweave one and they did not. They also gave me an XL chef's jacket when I requested a M. When I did the tour on the Crown they were very accommodating and I got the waffleweave robe no problem. As a matter of fact the fellow that was handeling it for me called a couple of times to be sure I got the right items. Guess it just depends on the crew.

SiBreeze- have you even been "shut out" and not been able to sign up for a tour?

On the recent Ruby Princess sailing I was on, the only time the UST was offered was on the last sea day.

It is often given on the last sea day, but you must sign up for it as early in the cruise as possible to secure a spot.

It is often given on the last sea day, but you must sign up for it as early in the cruise as possible to secure a spot.

Yes, I signed up for it at embarkation, but the tour itself didn't happen until the last day of the cruise (sea day between Grand Turk and Fort Lauderdale.). The pictures (and accompanying frame) were delivered fairly late, so if I didn't have extra room in my bag packing the extras from the tour could have been a problem.

SiBreeze- have you even been "shut out" and not been able to sign up for a tour?

I have always gotten on the tour no problem, but then again the Purser's Desk is my first stop after boarding to sign up. ;)

If more people sign up than they can take on the tour, they will do a lottery. Just sign up and see what happens. When we did the tour on the Crown Princess, they didn't have to have the lottery.

When we did this on Emerald, Mrs. Pablo was 15 on

the list, and I was 16 (off this list). There was no

lottery, I was simply out. This is what they told us

when we signed up. As Mrs. Pablo was the one who

wanted to go, she took the slot.

During the cruise, she received the invitation.

Apparently someone cancelled, because subsequently

the purser's desk called and asked if I still wanted to

go.

We were on the Coral princess Panama cruise in March. There were 3 of us interested to take the UST and signed up as soon as we we boarded. We were 2, 3, & 4 on the list and were told that they would take up to 12 people. Ended up that there were only 7 of us who signed up. Tour was on Next to last sea day. Great tour - you should try it when you get the opportunity.

Hi, from what I have read here on CC, this is something you should sign up for as soon as you are on board. My concern is we are doing the Alaska land tour prior to the cruise and we won't be boarding until 6:30 while others can start boarding at 1:00. Do you think this will be an issue? It's our first cruise and one of the "must dos". I appreciate all the help this board has provided me. :p

I just got off the phone with Princess and asked them the above question. I was told that I would probably miss out on the Chef's table boarding that late but may have a chance at the UST "as it is more expensive" . I am not sure I believe any of this.

Or you could wear the stuff on the plane. LOL

I just got off the phone with Princess and asked them the above question. I was told that I would probably miss out on the Chef's table boarding that late but may have a chance at the UST "as it is more expensive" . I am not sure I believe any of this.

It basically depends on how many people know about these two events in advance. Obviously, those of us on this board do, but the great majority of passengers do not.

And of those who know about it, how many want to do it.

So, even though you may be boarding later than many, you may still have a good chance of being able to do one or both.

There is usually a notice in the first day's Patter telling about both events and how to sign up.

Sounds like this a rare occurence but I signed up last year and the day before the tour it was canceled. Only three signed up. Guess there wasnt enought to run it Oh well- we will have to just book another cruise so I can do it LOL

That's correct, only they do a lottery sometimes if they feel like it! I tried to get on the UST 4 times before I went on one and was always the first to sign up! I was even told that it was first come 1st served when I signed up than saw advertisement after advertisement for it in the Patter and then was told "so many signed up the had a lottery". So luck is probably more important than signing up early but it can't hurt to be early.

Sounds like this a rare occurence but I signed up last year and the day before the tour it was canceled. Only three signed up. Guess there wasnt enought to run it Oh well- we will have to just book another cruise so I can do it LOL

Is it really worth the money?? We didn't sign up as we weren't aware it was anything other than a trip round the ship.

Or you could wear the stuff on the plane. LOL

Good answer - it's what I thought when I saw the comment about not having room in the luggage for the robe and jacket. Seems that if you really wanted to take the tour you would plan ahead and save room for the goodies and if you didn't make the cut you have a lighter bag to lug home.

I tried 3 times to take the tour. Every time I was either the first on the list at sign up or within the top 5 - but no luck! Either there were too many and I didn't win the lottery ( some luck with the Lotto) or the tour was cancelled due to norovirus.

Finally on our last voyage I did make it. I was notified a couple of days before the last sea day. It was a 4 1/2 hour tour and was worth the wait. Since we drive to to FL we had plenty of room for the robe and jacket. I'm sure my DW would have worn the robe home if there wasn't room in the bag.

Is it really worth the money?? We didn't sign up as we weren't aware it was anything other than a trip round the ship.

If you are into looking behind the scenes and going onto the bridge it sure is! The extras you take home are icing on the cake.

We some how were the first two passengers to board the "Star Princess" in May of 2009 Alaska cruise. As we were walking up the gang way we saw a Princess boarding rep. walking fast our way. We took off at double pace and got on before she could catch us. Every one in back of us were stopped and had to wait for the suite guests and elites to board. We went straight for the guest relations desk an signed up for the UST. We were picked and had a great experience.

My wife and I took it on the last sea day on the most recent Sapphire Hawaii cruise and thout it was well worth it. The tour was great and in addition to the robe and jacket we got champaign, and several photos with crew members including the captain. If you get a chance do it.

Archived