Red Sea Magic, Just Returned. Part 2 Excursions

We did 4 excursions altogether.

The 3 big ones Petra, Cairo and Luxor, then we also did the Seascope submersible in Hurghada.

On all the excursions it was very hot and sunny and you definitely need plenty of water and sunscreen.

We also popped into Aqaba on the Friday afternoon on the free shuttle bus, It was like other Arab towns, but much cleaner than Agadir and Cairo. At least you do not get the bother in Jordan like the others by the peddlars, if you say "no thank you" they wander off to find someone else.

Petra.

It was a 10 hour excursion leaving at 7.30 a.m. It took us 2.5 hours to get to Petra including a toilet stop just before arriving to save time on arrival.

It is a fairly steep gravel and sand path down to the entrance to the gorge into the site.

It took a long while to go down the gorge as we kept stopping to view the sights along it, like the shrines to the gods every few hundred yards.

the original large stone cobbled floor is still down in places and it makes it hard on the ankles and knees. And you have to stop to avoid the horse and carriages coming up and down.

The 1st glimpse you get is the Treasury from inside the gorge.

Then time outside it to view it before continuing down the valley viewing the other tombs and the ampitheatre.

You can go alone or with the tour guide as long as you are back at the hotel outside the entrance gates before 3pm for the buffet lunch.

We went most of the way down the valley. There are clean toilets down there.

It took us 25 min at family walking pace to walk back up the gorge and then another 15 min up the gravel path to the entrance gates and the hotel for lunch. The walk up the gorge is fine as the slope is not too steep and shaded, but the gravel path is steep and all in hot sun.

Lunch was buffet in the hotel and plenty to eat. We were able to go back for 2nds.

They must have passed the word on about us to the other hotels with the lunches included in Cairo and Luxor as they whipped the cutlery and plates away as soon as we'd eaten.

We were back on the ship by about 5.30p.m.

Cairo

We did the Pyramids and Tombs tour.

After a 3 hour trip to Cairo,( the traffic is horrendous when you get there), we 1st visited the Step Pyramid of Zoser and the tombs next door. We went inside the tomb. This you can walk into easily, no bending or crawling and then closer to the Step Pyramid for a better view.

We managed to get lost in between the tombs and were the last back on the bus. We are never last.

Then we went to the giant statue of Ramses and the minature Sphinx at Memphis.

Next we had lunch, main course was OK, but the desserts were to die for. I made sure i got plenty of them. The tea and coffee tasted like TCP

Then up to the Giza Plateau to the Pyramids and Sphinx. Anthony went inside the Pyramid (extra cost) but it was dark and plain and not much to see. It involved a lot of bending and not recommended for those of us with back and joint problems.

As always you never get enough time up there, but as we had been before we could look at them unrushed, but not in peace and quiet. As some of the first Western tourists back in Egypt the peddlars are desparate to sell to you and would not leave you alone.

Cairo was a real culture shock for those who had not been before and some could not believe the hassle they got from the sellers everywhere and also the state of the city. Cairo is Cairo and full of rubbish both on land and in the waterways including dead animals, with people living in poverty in between.

If you're an animal lover you have to bite the bullet and take the state of and treatment of the horses and donkeys.

This was a 12 hour excursion and we were back aboard by 7 p.m.

Seascope and Hughada

We did this on the Tuesday afternoon after arriving in Safaga.

This was both the best and worst of the excursions we'd done up to now. This is unlike the glass bottom boat as it is a partial submarine and you can see out on the lower deck through big glass windows while sitting on revolving stools.

We do not snorkel and it was amazing to see the sealife down there on the coral reef .

Then we went to a fixed price shop where we could browse in peace and the prices were reasonable .

The excursion is described as a 5 hour excursion and we should have gone back aftter here. But when we 1st started off on the coach the guide said we weould not be back till 7p.m.

We were expecting to be back by 5.30 according to the description, just nice to be packing and enjoy the evening. (We did not want to pack on Wednesday night after the 15 hour excursion).

So instead of coming back to the ship we were tken to the normal shooping area in the town centre and the usualltraders were at us like vultures. I said to DW to go straight to the cafe in the square by the bus where the guide was, but no she insisted on giving it a go up and down the street. I know it's their way of life but we don't like it and felt that this was forced on us not by our choice. If we had known that they were going to take us there we would not have gone on the excursion.

Luxor.

This is a really early start, 6.30 a.m. It was 3.5 hours straight to the West Bank of the Nile to the Colossi Of Menmon Valley of the Kings.

BE WARNED no cameras are allowed inside the valley anymore and you have to leve them on the coach.

In the valley we visited 3 tombs and the artwork on the walls is fantastic. They are quite easy to get inside with steps and handrails.

Then the Temple of Hatchepsut just the other side of the mountain from the V.O.T.K.

Then on to lunch via the Alabaster shop.

The hotel was lovely on the banks of the Nile with nice gardens and a floating pool on the river.

But the lunch here, while not bad, was the worst we'd had out of the 3.

Then the final stop at the Karnak Temple. This is 64 acres approx and is fantastic. I just can't describe it, you need to experience it yourselves. By now though we were really flagging having to cram at least a week's worth of sightseeing in 1 day. But we would not have missed it.

We arrived back on the ship about 9 p.m.

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn,

Welcome back, glad you had a good time.:)

I know exactly what you mean about "Downtown Hurghada" We did that trip, the hassle was awful. We all went into Costa Coffee and stayed there until it was time to go back to the coach:D

A friend of ours went to Hurghada to stay for a couple of weeks last year. I warned him, but he was persuaded to go downtown - he said it was awful too:rolleyes:

Linda

Reallu enjoyed reading both your posts. We're off on the 14th April on this cruise so your descriptions have really wetted our appetites! I appreciated your comments re. the walking etc. as I have very dodgy knees and really need to know what to expect. We only booked about 10 days ago and were a bit apprehensive but feel quite reassured now. Cheers!:)

Reallu enjoyed reading both your posts. We're off on the 14th April on this cruise so your descriptions have really wetted our appetites! I appreciated your comments re. the walking etc. as I have very dodgy knees and really need to know what to expect. We only booked about 10 days ago and were a bit apprehensive but feel quite reassured now. Cheers!:)

Hi Linda and Jojo,

It was a lovely time apart from downtown Hurgada.

Jojo, be prepared to get swollen ankles and calves too with the walking and heat.

A lot who did the excursions were like us, they've mostly gone down by today thank goodness.

Have agreat time Jojo and make sure you see the shows in the Broadway show lounge. We missed a couple and on looking at the cruise DVD, (yes, we bought one and you should see DW strutting her stuff on the Sailaway Party),

and whished we'd managed to catch them.

Berwyn

When we did the submarine trip last year, we went to the pizza hut at the downtown shopping area, had time for the six of us to have pizza, wedges and a drink very reasonable price too

I forgot to mention Beware the tea and coffee in the lunch hotel on the Cairo trip.

We don't know what they made it with but it tasted like TCP :eek:

Berwyn

Also beware of buying a beer in the hotel in Petra. OH had a can - 1/3 pint - £4 and that was 3 years ago. Goodness knows what they are charging now:eek:

Also beware of buying a beer in the hotel in Petra. OH had a can - 1/3 pint - £4 and that was 3 years ago. Goodness knows what they are charging now:eek:

Hi Linda,

This last week they wanted £4 for a standard glass of local wine. I didn't look at the beer prices.

DW has paid £6 for a glass of wine in one of our local hotels on a girls night out :eek::eek:

Berwyn

BE WARNED no cameras are allowed inside the valley anymore and you have to leve them on the coach.

Then the final stop at the Karnak Temple.

Berwyn

Hi Cymro1953. I'm going on my first cruise on the 21-st April. I want to go on most of the excursions, and definietely the three main ones that you did. You did mention about there being no cameras allowed in the VoK. What about the Karnak temple? Will we be able to take any photos there? It's such a shame with the VoK, such picturesque place.

Keep a look out for kids selling 'fold up' postcards...we saw them by the pyramids and looked quite good....you'd at least have some pictures of Valley of the Kings then....just unfold it to check they do have pictures on them though !!!!:)

Hi Cymro1953. I'm going on my first cruise on the 21-st April. I want to go on most of the excursions, and definietely the three main ones that you did. You did mention about there being no cameras allowed in the VoK. What about the Karnak temple? Will we be able to take any photos there? It's such a shame with the VoK, such picturesque place.

Hi,

There are no problems with cameras anywhere else. It just the VOK that you can't use them.

I'll be uploading some of my pics and vids of there when they are sorted.

And if you buy jenny's suggested multipacks of postcards make sure the cards are all different and not 30 of the same postcard.

Berwyn

Hi,

There are no problems with cameras anywhere else. It just the VOK that you can't use them.

I'll be uploading some of my pics and vids of there when they are sorted.

And if you buy jenny's suggested multipacks of postcards make sure the cards are all different and not 30 of the same postcard.

Berwyn

many thanks :)

can't wait to go, only 8 more sleeps ;)

Petra.

You can go alone or with the tour guide as long as you are back at the hotel outside the entrance gates before 3pm for the buffet lunch.

I've another question, this time about Petra - is it enough time to go up to see the Monastery? after seeing As-Siq and The Treasury can one just wonder alone up to see the Monastery as well as long as we are back by the gate by 3pm? Did anybody go there do you know? I don't want to be rushed everywhere but I really want to see the Monastery the most. I think I would rather skip the whole As-Siq site and go there straight away. I know it is an hour climb up and another hour down plus maybe about 30 min to see the site. that would leave us 2.5 hours to see the Treasury and the city. Would that be enough?

I've another question, this time about Petra - is it enough time to go up to see the Monastery? after seeing As-Siq and The Treasury can one just wonder alone up to see the Monastery as well as long as we are back by the gate by 3pm? Did anybody go there do you know? I don't want to be rushed everywhere but I really want to see the Monastery the most. I think I would rather skip the whole As-Siq site and go there straight away. I know it is an hour climb up and another hour down plus maybe about 30 min to see the site. that would leave us 2.5 hours to see the Treasury and the city. Would that be enough?

You might do it if you went straight off on your own and not go with the guide.

We only did the bottom part and were back up to the hotel for lunch for about 1.30p.m. The steps going up to the monastery looked a bit worn and dodgy, but people were going up them.

Berwyn

We only did the bottom part and were back up to the hotel for lunch for about 1.30p.m. The steps going up to the monastery looked a bit worn and dodgy, but people were going up them.

Berwyn

thank you

Berwyn

It's very hot down there Pauline, even though it's shady going down the gorge once you are in the valley it's open to the sun.

Berwyn

It's very hot down there Pauline, even though it's shady going down the gorge once you are in the valley it's open to the sun.

Berwyn

was the entry fee included in the trip price?

I am now considering maybe taking a taxi from Aqaba super early to get to Petra by 6.30 am to have enough time to explore everything I want to.

Do you remember there being any taxis outside of the entrance gate in Petra waiting for people to go back to Aqaba? I just wonder whether we need to get someone to wait for us the whole day or whether it will be easy to get another taxi back from Petra early afternoon.

I am also considering another option - paying for the tour with thomson but going there by taxi early morning and then coming back with Thomson. If the tickets are included in the tour price then I wonder if they would let me have them the day before... I guess it's best to speak with them when we get there.

was the entry fee included in the trip price?

I am now considering maybe taking a taxi from Aqaba super early to get to Petra by 6.30 am to have enough time to explore everything I want to.

Do you remember there being any taxis outside of the entrance gate in Petra waiting for people to go back to Aqaba? I just wonder whether we need to get someone to wait for us the whole day or whether it will be easy to get another taxi back from Petra early afternoon.

I am also considering another option - paying for the tour with thomson but going there by taxi early morning and then coming back with Thomson. If the tickets are included in the tour price then I wonder if they would let me have them the day before... I guess it's best to speak with them when we get there.

Hi,

Yes entrance is included in tour price, it's £50 to get in. That is why the excursion is more expensive than the Egyptian ones.

Didn't see taxis at Petra, but when we went into Aqaba the afternoon before there were taxis there offering trips to Petra.

Berwyn

Did the Petra trip early March.

The guide we had said it was not possible to visit High Place of Sacrifice or the Monastery in just one day. He said we had seen everything possible in one day. Even if you started early you would be pushed to see everything in one day, if only from the physical aspect. I would not chance going independently its an awful long way from Aquba. A truly wonderful trip and you will see more by following the guide, otherwise you could miss lots.

many thanks for your replies :).

yeah, I guess we can only see as much... this trip seems like a tasting menu for all the places. The Monastry will be a reason good enough to come back to Petra once more another time.

a few more questions if anybody has some spare time :confused::

1. if we weren’t going to buy any souvenirs do we still need any local money for all the main excursions (Petra, Cairo, Luxor)? Are there any ATM’s around all the ports?

2. Has anybody suffered any stomach problems on the cruise? We’ve been to Egypt before and while I was fine throughout the stay my hubby got a stomach bug at the end of the stay and he’s just a bit worried.

3. are there any drinks at all included in the full-board (tea/coffee/water)?

4. what was the weather like while being on the sea between Aqaba and Port Sokhna? Is it hot enough for sunbathing and swimming poll?

5. will flip-flops be OK for the Cairo and Luxor excursions? I’ve heard that there isn’t much walking involved there so just wondering as it will probably be much hotter than in Petra.

many thanks for all your help so far ;)

P.

many thanks for your replies :).

yeah, I guess we can only see as much... this trip seems like a tasting menu for all the places. The Monastry will be a reason good enough to come back to Petra once more another time.

a few more questions if anybody has some spare time :confused::

1. if we weren’t going to buy any souvenirs do we still need any local money for all the main excursions (Petra, Cairo, Luxor)? Are there any ATM’s around all the ports?

2. Has anybody suffered any stomach problems on the cruise? We’ve been to Egypt before and while I was fine throughout the stay my hubby got a stomach bug at the end of the stay and he’s just a bit worried.

3. are there any drinks at all included in the full-board (tea/coffee/water)?

4. what was the weather like while being on the sea between Aqaba and Port Sokhna? Is it hot enough for sunbathing and swimming poll?

5. will flip-flops be OK for the Cairo and Luxor excursions? I’ve heard that there isn’t much walking involved there so just wondering as it will probably be much hotter than in Petra.

many thanks for all your help so far ;)

P.

Hi Pauline,

You don't really need local currency and we found the T.A. only had large denomination notes here equivalent to £10 and £20.

they will take £, Euros and US$, just make sure you take small denominations.

No one we saw had any stomach probs. We only drank our bottled water ashore and ate in the 5star hotels they took us to.

Unlimited tea, coffee, milk and water in the Lido Buffet 24/7 and fruit juices at breakfast.

On sea day the wind was quite cool and strong as we sailed round the tip of the Sinai peninsula. Some people put on cardigans / jackets on the shady side of the ship. Was OK on the sunny side.

While not as much walking in Luxor and Cairo as Petra the ground is still sandy and gravelly and uneven in placesand it will probably get under your feet if wearing open shoes. They had had rain in Cairo the day before we arrived and it was slightly cooler than Petra but Luxor and VOK was much hotter.

Also you might feel you need something decent on your feet in the tombs in the VOK going down the steps in and out.

Berwyn

cymro..

Hello, we're on the 21st April Easter Red Sea Cruise and planning to do Petra, Cairo, would love to see Luxor Valley of Kings but don’t want the 07:30 - 21:00 on the last day or overnighter. On your cruise did you speak to anyone that did any other trips, any other recommendations for the last day?

And another point, what’s the day at sea like, ie best in shade, is there an 08:00 rush for deck chairs etc

Thanks

cymro..

Hello, we're on the 21st April Easter Red Sea Cruise and planning to do Petra, Cairo, would love to see Luxor Valley of Kings but don’t want the 07:30 - 21:00 on the last day or overnighter. On your cruise did you speak to anyone that did any other trips, any other recommendations for the last day?

And another point, what’s the day at sea like, ie best in shade, is there an 08:00 rush for deck chairs etc

Thanks

Good morning My Lord, :D,

The Seascope and Hughada that we did and i described is also available on the last day.

Most people went to Luxor, either the day trip or overnight.

We didn't speak to anyone who had dome the hotel day out or the others.

You can see a list of excursions here, just click on the link under Safaga

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/itineraries/red-sea-magic-itinerary-56.html

On the sea day it was pretty cool on the shady side of the ship due to the winds. Not gale force, but strong and breezy.

So the loungers in the sun were high priority and occupied early.

Berwyn

We only used the euro and sterling, Jordan and Egypt sellers quoted everything in pounds.

No tummy problems on our cruise

Tea, Coffee and water free all day on the ship, but only at certain places and self-serve

Weather fab when we went early March

Would suggest something more substantial than flip flops.

Enjoy it- you will have a great time.

:)thank you all, that's great stuff.

Also, did anyone take their laptops (I need to take mine to back up my photos) is it safe to just leave it in your cabin or better to use the safety box? are the safety boxes big enough for that?

never ending list of questions :D;)

Archived