Red Sea Magic, Just Returned. Part 2 Excursions

:)thank you all, that's great stuff.

Also, did anyone take their laptops (I need to take mine to back up my photos) is it safe to just leave it in your cabin or better to use the safety box? are the safety boxes big enough for that?

never ending list of questions :D;)

Hi Pauline,

These days I always take my netbook for backup of pics and vids as we go.

I keep it locked in the suitcase. It's been quite safe for several cruises now and also 2 weeks in Mexico last year.

Berwyn

Sorry posted reply on page 1 by mistake but here goes

We only used the Euro and Sterling and found this was ok. In Jordan and Egypt everything was quoted in Pounds, so have pound coins in abudance, not that you are likely to spend much.

No tummy problems on our cruise.

Tea, Coffee and Water, but not bottled water, is free but only at certain points aboard and is self serve.

Our cruise was early March and the weather and sea were fine - sunny and hot.

I would suggest you wear something more substantial than flip-flops when ashore.

Enjoy it- you will have a fantastic time, we certainly did.

Sorry posted reply on page 1 by mistake

Hi Ormy,

My fault for being so bloomin' long winded :D .

That's why I had to do it in two parts or it might have ended up like War and Peace.

I agree with you, enjoy it, it's a fascinating and different experience. We came back totally worn out ready for a holiday to recover :D

Berwyn

many thanks for your replies :).

yeah, I guess we can only see as much... this trip seems like a tasting menu for all the places. The Monastry will be a reason good enough to come back to Petra once more another time.

a few more questions if anybody has some spare time :confused::

1. if we weren’t going to buy any souvenirs do we still need any local money for all the main excursions (Petra, Cairo, Luxor)? Are there any ATM’s around all the ports?

2. Has anybody suffered any stomach problems on the cruise? We’ve been to Egypt before and while I was fine throughout the stay my hubby got a stomach bug at the end of the stay and he’s just a bit worried.

3. are there any drinks at all included in the full-board (tea/coffee/water)?

4. what was the weather like while being on the sea between Aqaba and Port Sokhna? Is it hot enough for sunbathing and swimming poll?

5. will flip-flops be OK for the Cairo and Luxor excursions? I’ve heard that there isn’t much walking involved there so just wondering as it will probably be much hotter than in Petra.

many thanks for all your help so far ;)

P.

Hi Pauline

We came back yesterday from the same trip and whilst Berwyn has answered most of your questions I might be able to give some information as well.

I suspect that Berwyn might have confused the monastery with the Royal Tomb when he mentioned people going up and down the steps. It's an easy mistake to make - it's a huge site, but the monastery isn't really anywhere near the main site and not visible from the main tourist area.

As someone else has mentioned you are not going to have enough time to get to the monastery and back on the organised trip - it's simply too far. You really need a few days there to see everything. I can't comment on arranging a private trip, but it is an awful long way from the ship and even a very early start might not be enough time.

We just took $1 bills and that was mostly o.k., but a few of the government tickets (Tut Ankh Amun's tomb, for example) will only take Eygptian pounds.

There was a fairly large outbreak of norovirus on the ship - at least that's what they said it was, though I suspect it might have been food poisoning as many people just had one of the party going down with it, us included. I got it on the night before the trip to Cairo and it was extremely unpleasant. Lasted about 12 hours in the violent stage (the fewer details the better...), but left me washed out and only able to eat a little for the rest of the cruise. I lost 2lb in the week.

We are really careful with hygiene and I still got ill, so just be warned. I didn't eat or drink anything off the ship.

The weather was hot and sunny all week on and off the ship. Just slightly cooler in Petra with the wind, but still warm and you will get burnt if not careful.

Cairo is probably o.k. with sandals, but I'd advise proper footwear for Luxor. There isn't a huge amount of walking on the Luxor trips,about a mile or so in total maybe, but it's uneven ground and you wouldn't want the trip spoilt. Petra is at least 5 miles, uneven and uphill/downhill.

Hope this helps - anything else just ask.

many thanks for your replies :).

yeah, I guess we can only see as much... this trip seems like a tasting menu for all the places. The Monastry will be a reason good enough to come back to Petra once more another time.

a few more questions if anybody has some spare time :confused::

1. if we weren’t going to buy any souvenirs do we still need any local money for all the main excursions (Petra, Cairo, Luxor)? Are there any ATM’s around all the ports?

2. Has anybody suffered any stomach problems on the cruise? We’ve been to Egypt before and while I was fine throughout the stay my hubby got a stomach bug at the end of the stay and he’s just a bit worried.

3. are there any drinks at all included in the full-board (tea/coffee/water)?

4. what was the weather like while being on the sea between Aqaba and Port Sokhna? Is it hot enough for sunbathing and swimming poll?

5. will flip-flops be OK for the Cairo and Luxor excursions? I’ve heard that there isn’t much walking involved there so just wondering as it will probably be much hotter than in Petra.

many thanks for all your help so far ;)

P.

Hi Pauline

We came back yesterday from the same trip and whilst Berwyn has answered most of your questions I might be able to give some information as well.

I suspect that Berwyn might have confused the monastery with the Royal Tomb when he mentioned people going up and down the steps. It's an easy mistake to make - it's a huge site, but the monastery isn't really anywhere near the main site and not visible from the main tourist area.

As someone else has mentioned you are not going to have enough time to get to the monastery and back on the organised trip - it's simply too far. I checked this with the guide. You really need a few days there to see everything. I'd check very carefuly before spending any money organising private transport as I doubt that what you want is possible.

We just took $1 bills and that was mostly o.k., but a few of the government tickets (Tut Ankh Amun's tomb, for example) will only take Eygptian pounds.

There was a fairly large outbreak of norovirus on the ship - at least that's what they said it was though I suspect it might have been food poisoning as many people just had one of the party going down with it, us included. I got it on the night before the trip to Cairo and it was extremely unpleasant. Lasted about 12 hours in the violent stage (the fewer details the better...), but left me washed out and only able to eat a little for the rest of the cruise. I lost 2lb in the week. Judging by the spare seats on the coaches for Cairo and Luxor, it was fairly widespread.

We are really careful with hygiene and I still got ill, so just be warned. I didn't eat or drink anything off the ship.

The weather was hot and sunny all week on and off the ship. Just slightly cooler in Petra with the wind, but still warm and you will get burnt if not careful.

Cairo is o.k. with sandals, but I'd advise proper footwear for Luxor. There isn't a huge amount of walking on the Luxor trips, about a mile or so in total maybe, but it's uneven ground and you wouldn't want the trip spoilt. Petra is at least 5 miles, uneven and uphill/downhill.

Cairo museum was closed the evening before we were due to go, because of the renewed violence.

Hope this helps - anything else just ask.

Hi Pauline

Hi Milamber,

Probably very true, I'm easily confused :D

Hope you managed to enjoy the cruise despite the illness aboard.

Berwyn

Thanks to all who've taken the trouble to advise on this cruise. Off, solo(!), on 21st, so will be taking some of your comments seriously: sure they will help improve the trip !

Anyone seeing a late 50s, lightly bearded single at G'wick or Sharm - do mention Cruise Critıc. Will be nice to have someone to say hello to !

Thanks to all who've taken the trouble to advise on this cruise. Off, solo(!), on 21st, so will be taking some of your comments seriously: sure they will help improve the trip !

Anyone seeing a late 50s, lightly bearded single at G'wick or Sharm - do mention Cruise Critıc. Will be nice to have someone to say hello to !

You'll have a great time. It's nearly here :eek::D

My knees are still aching 10 days after returning from our Petra excursion.

Still can't believe we saw so many amazing places in one cruise.

Thomson's have done a great job with this itinerary.

Berwyn

There was a fairly large outbreak of norovirus on the ship - at least that's what they said it was though I suspect it might have been food poisoning as many people just had one of the party going down with it, us included. I got it on the night before the trip to Cairo and it was extremely unpleasant. Lasted about 12 hours in the violent stage (the fewer details the better...), but left me washed out and only able to eat a little for the rest of the cruise. I lost 2lb in the week. Judging by the spare seats on the coaches for Cairo and Luxor, it was fairly widespread.

Oh, no, so sorry to hear about that. Yeah, that's just about the only thing that I worry about. And as it was my hubby last time I am worried it is my turn now...

Last time we went to Egypt I was adviced not to eat rice as it contains lots of water and if out for long it can contain lots of bacterias as well. So I was avoiding rice and I was well throughout the stay. My hubby loves rice so he had it few times and he got sick. Don't know what tales to believe if it comes to that nasty virus in egyptian food, but I will stick to not eating the rice and maybe fried stuff would be safer to eat as well.

I've just checked the weather, all places look hot and sunny. Only 3 sleeps ;))

I've just checked the weather, all places look hot and sunny. Only 3 sleeps ;))

I want another go :D .

It's come round quickly for you in the end Pauline. Have a great time.

We ate everything going from rice to salads and anything in between and were OK.

I think if it's carried aboard by some passengers it 's easily spread. And then you've got the % of passengers who don't clean their hands either after being to toilet or going into the restaurants.

There can't be a harder working cleaning crew than those on Spirit, they were always busy and everywhere was spotless, so you can't blame the ship.

I was on a course with work in our local District Hospital today and there was a huge sign there in the foyer about bringing Norovirus in. So it's not just cruise ships.

Berwyn

I want another go :D .

It's come round quickly for you in the end Pauline. Have a great time.

We ate everything going from rice to salads and anything in between and were OK.

I think if it's carried aboard by some passengers it 's easily spread. And then you've got the % of passengers who don't clean their hands either after being to toilet or going into the restaurants.

There can't be a harder working cleaning crew than those on Spirit, they were always busy and everywhere was spotless, so you can't blame the ship.

I was on a course with work in our local District Hospital today and there was a huge sign there in the foyer about bringing Norovirus in. So it's not just cruise ships.

Berwyn

yeah, I know, it's just I'm worried about the egyptian food bug. Last time my hubby suffered from it and I didn't so clearly it wasn't a virus. If it happens that there is a virus somewhere then obviously there is not much one can do to avoid getting sick. Lets just hope we won't get any of that nightmare this time around.

I have one last question (well, maybe not last, but almost there). Can someone reccommend what's the best to do on the day when the ship goes from Aqaba to Port Sokhna. The whole day out on the sea. What are the best activities, what are the best places, spots on the ship and how busy are those. If one gets a good spot by the swimming pool then when you go to eat something can your stuff stay there so no one else can get there in the meantime? I've heard that the swimming pool isn't that great anyway, but what elese is there to do during that day?

Also, did anybody do the Paradise Island in Safaga? I wonder if this trip goes out the first day we get to Safaga so we can do Luxor the next day.

Many thanks

yeah, I know, it's just I'm worried about the egyptian food bug. Last time my hubby suffered from it and I didn't so clearly it wasn't a virus. If it happens that there is a virus somewhere then obviously there is not much one can do to avoid getting sick. Lets just hope we won't get any of that nightmare this time around.

I have one last question (well, maybe not last, but almost there). Can someone reccommend what's the best to do on the day when the ship goes from Aqaba to Port Sokhna. The whole day out on the sea. What are the best activities, what are the best places, spots on the ship and how busy are those. If one gets a good spot by the swimming pool then when you go to eat something can your stuff stay there so no one else can get there in the meantime? I've heard that the swimming pool isn't that great anyway, but what elese is there to do during that day?

Also, did anybody do the Paradise Island in Safaga? I wonder if this trip goes out the first day we get to Safaga so we can do Luxor the next day.

Many thanks

I know they had the bug on the ship recently, but in our opinion the advantage of seeing Egypt and Jordan this way is that you can eat safe food aboard and not have to eat the local food.

And on the excursions you get taken to 5 star hotels to eat anyway and they were OK.

They were ready for us in both Petra and Cairo with hand sanitizers as we entered the hotels, but in Luxor they did not, so either take your own or pop into the hotel toilet first.

We are not big ones for chillin' round the pool or sun decks, but were so knackered after Petra we were glad of the rest.

There is plenty of entertainment / activities during the day to keep you occupied.

It was very breezy on the sea day as we rounded the tip of the Sinai Peninsula so if you want a lounger make sure you get one early on the sunny side of the ship it is positively cool on the shady side. Think "Skegness, our sea air is so bracing" :D The sun worshippers were out early that day. But there are loungers on the top deck and along the promenade deck too not just round the small pool.

Berwyn

Thanks for all that info Berwyn. We are doing Red Sea Magic back to back next Feb. It all sounds so good. At the moment our plan is to do Luxor over-night Did any-one do that on your cruise ? I love to read about people's adventures and planning our next one. Keep up the info.

PS

Pauline,

I had to go almost straight back to work after the cruise otherwise I'd have posted the ship's Cruise News up and my pics by now.

Berwyn

would love to see some pics. most of the websites are blocked at work, but if you had some time to upload them somewhere please send me a link, I will have a look at home ;)

Thanks for all that info Berwyn. We are doing Red Sea Magic back to back next Feb. It all sounds so good. At the moment our plan is to do Luxor over-night Did any-one do that on your cruise ? I love to read about people's adventures and planning our next one. Keep up the info.

Hi,

Yes several we spoke to did the overnight and really enjoyed it. Much more relaxing than doing it all in one day like us. And they liked the hotel too.

The only thing you miss is doing the Karnak Temple in daylight, you get to see it after dark with the sound and light show.

We would have done it if we'd been alone as a couple, but with our son with us it would have stretched the budget a bit.

Berwyn

Go for the overnight to Luxor if you can. We did it in March. Left port after early lunch and were in the hotel by mid afternoon. Hotel was superb! Our room had a balcony overlooking the NIle.

We sat out on balcony watching the river traffic before going to dinner.

Sound/Light at Karnak was great and we were back at hotel by 10pm

Early breakfast and off to Valley of the Kings etc.

Back to hotel for late lunch and then to ship by about 6pm

Yes, a pity not to see Karnak in daytime but the rest more than compensated.

Archived