Taking a container on the pacific?

I've been offered a cabin on a container travelling from South Korea to USA later this year. Given that I'll be backpacking before and after the sailing, I'm not too worried about the standard of accomodation, or the ability to amuse myself. What I am concerned about is ...

(a) How likely is it that the ship's departure would be brought forwards? I'll only be arriving in Korea one week before (on a once a week ferry from Vladivostock). If the departure was delayed I could simply stay in SK until ready, but if it's brought forward by more than a few days I could be "up the proverbial creek". Is this likely or is it usually later rather than earlier?

(b) Just how rough is the pacific ocean likely to be around September/October? And just how stable are these big container ships? The one I could be on is 300metres long. I've read some comments that these ships do, and don't have stabilisers. And I have literally no idea whether I really would have sea-legs, or whether I'm going to spend 11 solid days painting the porcelain. Have you experienced the north pacific at this time of year? Do you get any "flat" days at all?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

I have a lot of experience on container ships in the Pacific, as well as all kinds of ships in all oceans. Container ships do try to keep on a schedule, but are not as strict about it as a cruise ship. They will sometimes fall behind schedule due to unforseen repairs or weather. Sometimes another ship will be substituted to fill in the gap, and there are now a lot of ships available in lay-up due to the economy. It is not too common for a ship to sail early, because that hurts the shipper's schedule. As far as motion is concerned, you can probably expect a rough day or two, since these ships follow the great circle route that takes them closer to the Aleutians than Hawaii. Many ships have stabilizers, but using them requires extra fuel consumption. I think a lot of motion sickness is in your head. If you get out on deck, and orient yourself with the horizon and get fresh air, you should be OK, but most first time cruisers like to have a patch or some medications for seasickness on hand. Start taking them before the expected rough weather hits and you feel sick. Have a good trip! John

I've been offered a cabin on a container travelling from South Korea to USA later this year. Given that I'll be backpacking before and after the sailing, I'm not too worried about the standard of accomodation, or the ability to amuse myself. What I am concerned about is ...

(a) How likely is it that the ship's departure would be brought forwards? I'll only be arriving in Korea one week before (on a once a week ferry from Vladivostock). If the departure was delayed I could simply stay in SK until ready, but if it's brought forward by more than a few days I could be "up the proverbial creek". Is this likely or is it usually later rather than earlier?

(b) Just how rough is the pacific ocean likely to be around September/October? And just how stable are these big container ships? The one I could be on is 300metres long. I've read some comments that these ships do, and don't have stabilisers. And I have literally no idea whether I really would have sea-legs, or whether I'm going to spend 11 solid days painting the porcelain. Have you experienced the north pacific at this time of year? Do you get any "flat" days at all?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Thanks for taking the time to reply John. Being from the UK and having spent most of my life in Europe, my knowledge of the pacific is extremely limited. I have experienced a few rough (english) channel crossings, and a bad time in the Bay of Biscay but it's hard to know how they might compare until i experience the Pacific for myself.

I suppose I just wanted confirmation that September/October was not going to be so rough that I wanted to curl up and die. I expect I will get sick at some point, but as long as it's not likely to be for 11 solid days I am sure I will cope. I'm particularly looking forward to being able to visit a working bridge, so for that experience alone I would happily put up with a couple of days of seasickness! But I will take sensible precautions as you suggest!

Thanks

If you experienced the English Channel and Bay of Biscay in winter, you probably experienced seas as rough as you are likely to find in the North Pacific. September and October are usually nice, except Typhoons are fairly common in the Western Pacific, but when they get up near Japan they either go over land or hit the cold air and water and lose their punch. I put some of my sea stories on the internet at http://www.captainmcd.com.

I don't think you need to worry about your voyage. Passengers are so rare on freighters that you should be welcomed in the bridge. John

Thanks a great deal John. I'm going to book it up in a few days, what the hell you only live once.

Funnily enough I think I found your website two days ago when I started my research - I shouldn't have read the "tank" storey on the pacific :eek:

Cheers!

Archived