Oasis of the Seas - Chefs Table

We are doing the Chef's Table on our 4/30 Oasis cruise. It's my understanding that it is a set menu with wine pairings at each meal. The seating is limited to 14 people. Every review that I read on CC has been positive, with many raving about how wonderful it is. :) I am VERY excited about this - the night we chose is our 25th anniversary and it seemed a fabulous way to commemorate the occasion. Someone has a previous post (I think it was Brian Alt but I'm not 100% sure) that has pictures and a course by course review. I have heard that the menu has changed some, but either way - it should be very special!! :)

A few things have changed since the 2011 original post. We went in January, and the cost is now $95, but I've seen it discounted if one waits until boarding to sign up. And our table was PACKED with 19 people - they even ran out of CT chairs and had to bring a couple in from Coastal Kitchen.

It was a 3-1/2 hour affair, which might not have been so bad had it not started at 8:00. The placement of the table is in between the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen with only a divider wall (that's even new; it used to be open space), so it's very noisy until late seating when the cocktail crowd disperses. On other ships we've been on it started at 7:00 or even 6:30 for the first glass of champagne.

The food was very, very good. The wines were ok - they used to serve really topnotch wines but substituted a couple of lesser ones (while keeping the good [empty] wine bottles on display as an advertisement).

I will have to sedate, hog tie and drag DH to another "death by dinner" on Oasis. But I'm hoping I won't have to resort to such extremes when we sail on Serenade soon - they put on a very nice affair in October that I hope is still in place.:)

• 5 months later...

We just got back from and Oasis of the Seas cruise and I wanted to report on Chef's Table.

EASILY the best dining experience on the ship. Food was top notch, but COME HUNGRY because there's a lot of it. I thought the wines were tremendous - there's a different wine for each course and each wine paired well with the respective course.

And the wines were interesting, too - sommelier (Constantine) picked a few wines that had unique flavors and textures. Come thirsty... or whatever... lots of wine.

Each wine course starts with the sommelier's description of the wine, and then for each food course the chef comes out and does the same thing.

The restaurant is swank and quiet. Upon entry you get a glass of champagne and you can sit on big comfy chairs to wait for the rest of the diners.

In my opinion, worth the money.

Just don't expect a guarantee of only/all adults at the table. Children of any age are also included-not that you would necessarily find them at all Chef's Tables- or that you might object to them joining you at the dinner. Some may not find that an issue at all.

Edited by gadaboutgal

were you limited on the amount of wine you had during each course????

a lobster and crab salad

a trio of soups

a duck stuffed spring roll

a lamb rib/chop

plus a couple of apple based deserts

We're talking about FIVE glasses of wine, right? One per course? Are they small glasses?

Different topic: Are the food courses small?

And how many times a week is the Chef's Table offered? Is any day better than the others? I'm suspicious that the at-sea days might fill up faster, and it'd be a better experience with a smaller group.

The restaurant is swank and quiet. Upon entry you get a glass of champagne and you can sit on big comfy chairs to wait for the rest of the diners.

Okay, so that makes SIX glasses of alcohol? That's a lot for me!

Edited by MrsPete