best stateroom for star gazing on Oosterdam

zimmerjulie

Hi fellow Cruise Critics,

I am considering the Oosterdam and wonder if you would lend your expertise.

I love being able to look out at the stars and the ocean at night.

The ships must be so lit up, that it is difficult to get night vision and see out across the ocean. Sometimes forward suites near the bridge are spared this light pollution for the reason that those on the bridge need to see out over the ocean;).

I am wondering if you have a recommendation for me for the best stateroom aboard the Oosterdam in this regard.

Thank you,

Julie

as a amature astronomer of some years, I have tried it all over the world

The best and only place is on the bridge wing of the bridge with the captains premission. It was a hassel. Only the bridge will be black enough... and chances are you wond be able to get access

also the very bow area .... you need to get away from all passenger areas.

I even had the captain turn off a section of light when I gave a talk on the Moon... it still was a bust. Nowhere is is dark enough to reall see

Here are the problems first light pollution is everywhere and you will have no true quality night vision. because of the totaly lit ship.

( military ships can and do run 100% black and use red lights to see ( battle lights they cal them0 that maintain night vision....you can do that.)

Second problem is the humidity that will form a haze/ and limit vision seeing and third will be the motion of the ship

Very compromised in every respect...poor seeing the rule

I used 16x70 fujinon flourite binos with Oxygen3 nebula filters and about all I could see was a few clusters and the Orion Nebula.... sort of

hawaiidan,

Thanks a lot for the info!

I am not hoping for a real astronomical experience, because of all of the things you mention. I hope to just even be able to see some stars with the naked eye without being drowned in light and perhaps find that line where the sea meets the sky.

Watching meteor showers from the deck of the QM2 crossing the North Atlantic at midnight made me seek whatever best night sky experience possible on each cruise.

From the aft corner suites we had a great view of the skies & stars at night. When our balcony lights were out, we saw lots of stars in a vista of about 225 degrees...

Thanks cbp,

do you remember what deck? I am wondering if deck 8 aft, immediately below deck 9 Lido deck, aft pool area might have more pesky light, or actually be more shaded from it than the lower deck aft balconies.

Hi Julie....we've been on Decks 8, 7 and 6. I asked DH and he agrees that Deck 8 has some residual lighting from the Lido Deck right above, so he'd suggest either Deck 7 or 6. I cannot speak with any intelligence at all about which SBs or SCs are fully covered at this time, but I know others will have that answer for you...

I am also an active astronomer and would not paint such a gloomy picture. I had no trouble picking out the brighter stars on my recent Mexico cruise, and certainly the Moon is easily viewed even with the lights on. One place with very little ambient lighting is on a private balcony.

My only disappointment in this regard was on an Alaskan cruise when it never got dark at night! I wanted to see the effect of the high latitudes on the perceived position of Polaris (north star).

Others I know were on a cruise where the captain turned off some of the outdoor lighting so that the passengers could view the aurora. This is viewed best late in the summer season (September) to avoid the "midnight sun" effect.

Telescopes will not work well because of the motion of the ship will cause the images to constantly move around.

igraf

as a amature astronomer of some years, I have tried it all over the world

The best and only place is on the bridge wing of the bridge with the captains premission. It was a hassel. Only the bridge will be black enough... and chances are you wond be able to get access

also the very bow area .... you need to get away from all passenger areas.

I even had the captain turn off a section of light when I gave a talk on the Moon... it still was a bust. Nowhere is is dark enough to reall see

Here are the problems first light pollution is everywhere and you will have no true quality night vision. because of the totaly lit ship.

( military ships can and do run 100% black and use red lights to see ( battle lights they cal them0 that maintain night vision....you can do that.)

Second problem is the humidity that will form a haze/ and limit vision seeing and third will be the motion of the ship

Very compromised in every respect...poor seeing the rule

I used 16x70 fujinon flourite binos with Oxygen3 nebula filters and about all I could see was a few clusters and the Orion Nebula.... sort of

The best Aft Wrap Arouds for viewing pleasure and starlit nights!!

Deck 6 aft wrap arounds are the best as yoiu do not have a large overhang from above, you are not as clost to the water and will not get the residualy aft wake spray, and definitely will not be bothered by the Lido Lights.

I stayed on our verandah, 6177, that I came home last night with bronchitis, but it was worth it!!!

Joanie

Archived