Insects in Denali and elsewhere?

bobolink

I have read, from BQ I think, that insects are a problem on the Denali shuttle in June. Are they problematic elsewhere in the interior? Ports?

Has anyone used the BuzzOff clothing? Is it actually effective? LL Bean is showing it in the recent catalog. We do a fair amount of outdoorsy stuff in MD where mosquitoes and ticks are serious business with West Nile and Lyme disease, so they'll be worn, if they work.

The topical repellent odor is really repellent :) , so I'm delighted to find something helpful. I realize we still have to use something on face and hands.

Experience and suggestions?

Interior the skeeters will carry you away.Be heavily armed with anything like deet,off,skin so soft ect. One reason why I like living in Seward is that skeeters don't like the saltwater and we usually have some type of wind blowing,so no bugs.There are no woodticks or snakes in Alaska.

I have never used those hats with netting but I'm sure others on here would tell you it would be a good idea esp if your allergic to bites. Any meds you might need to remember to bring with? Afterbite lotions can help with the itch sometimes too.

Glacier lady, if we're on the first morning shuttle around the end of June, should we buy hats with netting? Some of us are allergic to the bites.

Are you going to Wonder Lake?? This is the problem area and I did use the bug hats and still had a miserable time. If you are going to Fish Creek, not near the problem. You need heavy duty with deet, most products are usually useless.

Wea re going to Denali in late May,around the 25th, is there an issue with the bugs then?? Is there are way to find out as we get there on 5-21 and we can stock up once we are there

Thanks

Wea re going to Denali in late May,around the 25th, is there an issue with the bugs then?? Is there are way to find out as we get there on 5-21 and we can stock up once we are there

Thanks

No problem, you aren't going that far in, Wonder Lake is mile 85. Should be a mostly bug free trip for you!!!!!!! :) Enjoy!

Thanks, all.

We are booked as far as Wonder Lake but won't go that far if the visibility isn't that great. REI Outlet online has the headnets on clearance....worth a try, I guess. Traveling with a 9 year old makes a difference too. Powerful DEET is not a good choice for a kid.

We've experienced the mosquito misery in other National Parks, so we'll be as prepared as possible and make our decision that day.

Just because we call them our state bird doesn’t mean you have to panic. Don’t worry about these if you are on the coast of Alaska, like in southeast, (there are exceptions but nuances I’m not going to do here). It is primarily an interior of Alaska problem. Also, in a major city like Anchorage, don’t worry. I spend my summers in an area of Alaska where terrible mosquitoes conditions can rival the worst situations on earth. But we do enjoy some summer seasons where we don’t have many bugs at all and during those times we hardly have to use any bug dope at all. Unfortunately, we have had about 5 consecutive years of pretty bad conditions. We are overdue for a 5-year break, beginning maybe this year.

On the upside, Alaska mosquitoes don’t carry bad stuff, like Malaria, Yellow fever, or West Nile (at least to this point in time they don’t). I find that the mosquitoes don’t start getting bad until after mid June. The worse conditions will last until mid August sometimes. Even later on a real bad year. On a normal year they really slack off by the end of July.

I hate head nets and so do most folks I know. I use Deet, and lots of it, when they are bad. I try and use the weak, 5% to 9%, stuff on my skin and the 30% or so on my clothes. Use it on my grandkids too and my daughter is extremely cautious when it comes to putting chemicals like that on the kids. I never use the 100% stuff but I do carry a little tube of it in case of an emergency where I might get stranded in a real out of the way place. I have tried everything and I don’t want to bore you with detail other than to say, save your money and go the Deet route.

For inside a cabin or tent get a coil or two, which smolders after you light it. Don’t just light the entire coil when indoors and ignore it unless you want to go on a cheap drunk. I break off an inch or two for my 20’X 30’, plus loft, cabin and it takes care of the bugs for most of the night unless you have a window, without a screen, cracked or something.

We were in Denali after our cruise in July 04.

We read all the info and posts on bugs. So we had suitcases full of

spray bug sketters, etc, etc. During the 2 weeks we never saw

any amount of any bugs, short of a single fly here or there.

We had alot of fun up there and did alot of the local tours but stayed off

the normal high traffic areas.

Archived