All-inclusive beach in Progresso?

drofamps

We're doing the same on our cruise in early April on the Glory. There are a couple of old posts on this topic but it is my understanding that the tour is offered on the shuttle bus from the pier and that there is also someone at the pier who may approach you about a day at the Reef Club Yucatan. It is also my understanding that it includes round trip transportation, use of the facilities, drinks and lunch. I'm not sure though if the trip includes two other stops to some ruins since someone recently posted that was the case but but did say it was a quick stop since everyone wanted to get to the resort. If you do a google search on reef club yucatan, you'll find a website. The photos look since and those who have posted on this board enjoyed the day. Fresh water pool, miles of beach which have been described as not as nice as Cancun, etc. but just as long as I can walk, that's the most important for me! I have no idea about times, etc., since the ship is in port early but assume someone on the bus will let us know the specifics. Hopefully, the information I have described is correct...if not, please someone let us know! Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Reef Club all inclusive beach, March 22nd. If you choose to do this, purchase your pass as soon as you get off the bus from the ship. If you wait too long and try to make up your mind other folks will be loading up the buses and getting there sooner. Only so many chair, tables, loungers..... at the beach. They will tell you that the jet skis and kayaks are included.... we only saw one water craft and two kayaks, did not look worth the wait, they were always busy. Booze is FREE (watch your teens, they won't) if you choose, make sure the under age kids get the correct wrist band. Food was not included, I was told it was.

Almost 30 minute ride and not much for scenery. The guide had some good info about the area, sit toward the front of the bus to listen. Very run down area and trashy on the way, but the resort itself was very nice.

Nice beach to play in the water and sand, no waves to speak of.

All in all still better than the public beach, no peddlers. $30 per adult $15 per child (not sure age cut off).....hope this helps

Thanks for the update...it was my understanding the food was included?? How much did you have to pay for the buffet or whatever? Also, what time did you depart? Did the tour drop you back to the ship? Do you feel it was worth $30 per person?

Is there any shade, tiki huts, umbrellas, etc.?

Okay, not sure about the food buffet....DH is the one at the market (pier shuttle drop) that spoke to and paid the guide. DH said he remembers being told by the guide that food was included (DH may have neglected to tell DW this bit of info). Anyway the kids were hungry so we went for food. There was a hostess type stand alittle ways from the buffet. We asked them if there was a cost...(maybe this was MY mistake) they said $5 for a cheeseburger/fries OR $10 for the complete buffet (it really is not a $10 buffet...if you know what I mean). We paid the $5 and went through the line, they did not give me anything to show the buffet cooks that I had paid (we probably could have done the full buffet).

So honestly they probably made an extra $15 off of me...not sure. Oh well we live and learn....isn't that why we post on the boards!!

Now about shade...on the beach there is none. Up at the edge of the resort were several (maybe 4 or so) covered table areas with hammocks and shaded spots up by the pools (trees, buildings, grass). However you have to remember you are sharing pool and areas with the resorts guests also....they did not seem to be on the beach. The guides do bring down some loungers, chairs & tables, but if you are some of the last to arrive (as we were) you may not get any. Also the food area with bar is covered and plenty of tables and chairs. Did not see any umbrellas.

Last but not least....the time you arrive at the resort depends on whether you are on one of the first buses to leave from the market (and how quickly you get off the ship) We were on one of the last ones, but I think we had a good guide (made sure he had all that wanted to go before he left) and he was very informative on the way. They do make a stop to see the flamingos, everyone can get off here or not. Our bus did not.. we all wanted to get to the beach, it is about a 30min drive. Not sure when the very first bus leaves the market. They leave the beach at 2:30 because you have to be back on the ship by 3:30, so you have the 30min drive just back to the city and then the 4-5mile drive back to the pier all in the same bus. They take you directly to the ship. There are shops on the pier and at the market (shop while you wait for the buses to load or shop when you get back to the pier). If this private beach is what you want to do, my suggestion is don't shop on the pier when you first get off the ship. Get to the market to get your trip paid for as they have limited numbers they can take. I think we spent almost 4hrs there. Like I said we were on the last bus as we did not hurry off the ship to avoid the long debarkation line.

All in all I thought it was worth the $30 to not be on a crowded public beach, have free drinks (yes alcohol too), access to the freshwater pools and NO VENDERS!!!

I hope I have covered it all, but if anyone thinks of something else let me know.

Melissa

Archived