Help! Cruising with two infants. Need excursion ideas for Mexican Riviera.

swcruiser

New to the boards. I've been reading these boards for a while since we booked our cruise for May. We are a family of 10 ages ranging from 13 months old to 67 years old. We're really excited about going as this will be our first family cruise and the first cruise for many of them. I've only been on one cruise and that was to the caribbean. Absolutely loved it, but I was single and had no kids at the time.

I thought you guys would be the best in giving out some good ideas. We are a family of 10 ages ranging from 13 months old to 67 years old. We're stopping in the ports of Mazatlan, Cabo and PV.

I've been doing some research and thought that we could go to Stone Island in Mazatlan either on our own or with a tour group. I was wondering how the transportation works for the infants. If we take the ferry, will the children need their own life vests? What about car transportation? We won't be bringing our carseats with us on the cruise. We're trying to figure out how to get around other than by walking. Would you take taxis without a carseat?

If anyone has had experience cruising with infants I'd really appreciate some advice on how to get around at the ports. Thank in advance!

Hi! Can't address the specific ports (never been), but I do have a thought or two about the transportation issue.

When we were on our first cruise, my DD was 25 months. We brought a life jacket for her for use on boats and at the beach. She did use it, but we are cruising again when she'll be 29 months, and I'm not planning on bringing it.

On the first trip, we used a water taxi in Belize (1.5 hours round-trip) and I was unsure of how safe it would be and what kind of safety equipment would be on board. On the next cruise, we've booked two boat excursions, but I have confirmed with each operator that they will be equipped with life vests for her. Also, on this next cruise there is no tendering.

As to taxis and car seats: have you looked at the Sit 'N Stroll carseat/stroller/FAA-approved flight seat? At 17 months, you don't yet have to have a separate plane seat for your child, so you may not be using it in flight. It's a bit pricey at about $180. We have one which we used a lot for land-based vacations when I knew we'd be relying on taxis a lot. The other option is about $25 and it is a portable car seat (check One Step Ahead for both.) I think there is a minimum height/weight though. To be honest, on our last cruise, we spent very little time in taxis in places with good roads and level topography and we did not use a carseat. Most of the tour buses and many of the taxis don't have seatbelts.

In the end, I think you have to look at what you have planned, and where you will be. HTH. Happy cruising!!

If we take the ferry, will the children need their own life vests? What about car transportation? We won't be bringing our carseats with us on the cruise. We're trying to figure out how to get around other than by walking. Would you take taxis without a carseat?

I took taxis in Ft. Lauderdale and several caribbean islands without a car seat for our 20-mo-old. Frankly, in most of the islands you would be lucky to even have a taxi with working seatbelts.

I brought and used a life preserver for my little guy only on our sailing excursions (one regular sailboat and one was a catamaran). I was so glad to have one that fit well, especially since he is on the small side for his age. I don't know about a ferry, but I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. I guess everyone has a different comfort level with safety and risk. Good luck!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot to say...I haven't been to any of those ports, but in other ports my 20-month-old LOVED the beach. Just sitting around, relaxing, digging in the sand, and actually getting to be in the water alittle, and I enjoyed it, too. So, if you can plan at least one excursion where you just hang on the beach the kids might like that.

Also, I brought along a sturdy chicco umbrella stroller for getting around the ports and the ship. The one I bought had a little basket underneath, but now I see alot of them with the sun shade - wish mine had that :rolleyes:

Good luck and have fun!!!!! :D

2 families, 3 kids (13M, 21M,4YO)

1st stop: Puerto Vallarta. We took the stroller and walked down the small cobbled stone road down to the main street, turned right and kept on walking until we came to a hotel NH Krystal Hotel

Nh Krystal Vallarta

Av.De Las Garzas S/N

We went to the lobby and paid US$10 per adult and spent a whole day there. The kids are free and we just love their out-door pools. They have a pool which is only 1 foot deep. My 21M old DS was able to stand in it. He thinks he can swim! They put a wristband on each adult and the US$10 can be used for food and drinks by the pools. We got hotdogs/fries, guacamole/chips, Cokes and beers! The ship was only a 15-minutes walk away, so potentially, you can go back to the ship for lunch then come back to the hotel after a nap. The kids aren't interested in sightseeing anyway, so these pools were the highlight of their trip.

Mazatlan

It was too hot for me to walk to downtown Mazatlan holding my 21M old in my arms. He didn't want to sit in his stroller, so essentially, we took the shuttle bus from the ship to the market square and I walked around the shops. But the kids were red and sweaty from the heat, so I decided to take them back to the ship and enjoyed an empty ship. It was so hot that my camera lens fogged up with I tried to take a photo when we got off the ship. My glasses fogged up too.

DH went to town with my sister's family. They walked to downtown Mazatlan. I think it took them over 30 minutes. My sister ended up taking a local taxi back to the ship --more like a golf cart. The taxi price is negotiable. I think she paid less than US$5 to get back to the ship from downtown. Remember to bring bottled water (just fill empty bottles with cold water in the Horizon Court before you disembark) with you when you disembark.

Next time we go to Mazatlan, we'll find another resort hotel nearby and hang out.

Cabo San Lucas

I've heard the place have changed quite a bit since we were there last (September 2003). We did find a nearby hotel and asked if we can use the pool. They said yes and it was free for everyone too, but that pool had no shaded areas. I thought our kids would burn even with gobs of sunscreen. So we ended up walking around town. Do some research and find another resort hotel to hang out.

I wouldn't worry about public transportation in Mexico because the cars/buses they use are safari type vehicles and everyone would be in danger if there is an accident because no seat belts are available. So why worry about it. If you are really concerned, don't get on one. Just walk around town and stroll your children around in a stroller.

Do research on Ports of Call board and you'll find useful information on where to go (and what to see) in Mexico while you travel with small children.

Archived