Cayman Island Recommended Excursions

WildcatRock

DW and I are on the Pearl this Fall on the Western Caribbean 11/27 - 12/4 cruise, and one of our stops is Cayman Island. We're reviewing the NCL excursions and are reading numerous books about the island, but wanted to seek out the true experts of ports of calls, our fellow Cruise Critic brethren. We've never been to Cayman, are avid snorkelers, and are seeking a fun filled day of snorkeling, tasty refreshments, and relaxation. We've heard, and read, all about "Stingray City", and Seven Mile Beach, but know there's got to be more to Cayman. So, what are your recommendations?

DW and I are on the Pearl this Fall on the Western Caribbean 11/27 - 12/4 cruise, and one of our stops is Cayman Island. We're reviewing the NCL excursions and are reading numerous books about the island, but wanted to seek out the true experts of ports of calls, our fellow Cruise Critic brethren. We've never been to Cayman, are avid snorkelers, and are seeking a fun filled day of snorkeling, tasty refreshments, and relaxation. We've heard, and read, all about "Stingray City", and Seven Mile Beach, but know there's got to be more to Cayman. So, what are your recommendations?

If you like to snorkel as we do....you can do this on your own in GC. Stingray city is ok, but very crowded with ship tours. We love to snorkel and not too far from where you tender in is a place called Eden Rock, and you can access it right from either a restaurant/bar or dive shop right off the main street. When you get off the tender boat and walk up to the street, turn right and walk a couple blocks. Look toward your right and you will see a sign at this little bar/restaurant that says Eden Rock. You can rent a locker from them for $5 for the day to put your things in and use the steps right there to get into the water. Snorkeling there is not too bad, and the cruise ships are right there straight ahead of where you are snorkeling. I will post a picture of how close you are to the ships when snorkeling. Last May when we were there, as soon as we got in the water there were 4 large Tarpons right there by the shore and they hung with us almost the entire day in the water.

1136413442_CarnivalGlory(169).jpg.228dea8d85824e791ce24b0d29e4600d.jpg

1328812040_CarnivalGlory(175).jpg.cbcafaff2ddbe73c0168e44915f58f85.jpg

Stingray city is awesome and is a MUST DO! Grand Cayman is an interesting island, so I suggest you take an island tour if you're interested in that. There is a place where you can swim with dolphins,cant remember the name though. Also, there is a turtle farm. I found it boring, but if you like turtles go for it. I would have been happy if we were there 30 minutes, not 1.5 hours. Cayman is mainly a beach destination.. The port of call board might also help more than this.

Stingray city is awesome and is a MUST DO! Grand Cayman is an interesting island, so I suggest you take an island tour if you're interested in that. There is a place where you can swim with dolphins,cant remember the name though. Also, there is a turtle farm. I found it boring, but if you like turtles go for it. I would have been happy if we were there 30 minutes, not 1.5 hours. Cayman is mainly a beach destination.. The port of call board might also help more than this.

Dolphin Discovery! We booked this privatly a few years ago, and had an awesome dolphin swim that included the foot push as well as the tummy tow. We also recieved free passes to go to the turtle farm after the dolphin swim. I still love the snorkeling at Eden Rock, and other than $5 locker rental, it's free (if you bring your own snorkel equipment) or you can rent it from them at the restaurant.

Trying to compile information on private tours for our late December cruise. Has anyone a recommendation for a tour guide in Grand Cayman who does not include snorkeling or beachs? We have found that on past cruises we get far more for less cost with private tours rather than ship sponsored tours.

We just did the Stingray City and Turtle Swim shore excursion and LOVED it! We were the very first boat out to the sandbar to swim with the stingrays and our guides gave us lots of information during the drive and boat ride, even stopping to point out places of interest and iguanas. Our boat captains even picked up some giant starfish for us off shore on the way back from Stingray City. Don't worry, they kept them wet and returned them to their home after we took pics, but it was great. Then we went to the Turtle Farm and had a guided tour before having free time on our own. We ate lunch there and swam in the lagoon with the sea turtles. Some of our fellow passengers went across the street to the beach for a bit as well. It was a great day, and we still had time for a bit of shopping when we got back before getting in line for the tender. I definitely recommend this excursion.

Archived