Vanouver Celebration of Light (fireworks) Summer 2011

Thanks for the post...sometimes we can just see the flash of some of the higher fireworks....but Nanaimo works better for us. In any event it we ate starting back to the "home and native land" tomorrow and looking forward to getting home, likely Friday in the late afternoon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Silvia on Beach Ave...but no balconies though.

Maybe from a high west facing room in the Executive Plaza or the Quality Inn...both in the 1300 blk Howe St. but maybe Ut will come by with his opinion on this as he lives in the neighborhood and tends to be our resident expert in this area.

While you might get a little bit of a view from the Quality Inn it wont be much as it is lower than my condo building - Executive up high might work but once again there are some taller buildings between there and the barge in English Bay - I can see about 75% of the display from our rooftop with only some of the lower display blocked by one building.

Will try and see if I can figure out a good hotel location to see them - the Sandman Inn on Davie might work but once again you will likely only see the higher display.

Cheers

Dennis

Not a great deal unless you were thinking of doing something like Granville Island or the Maritime Muesum....in which case it would be advisable to do those things in the early morning.

However again Ut will be able to give you his slant on that.

There are traffic restrictions in effect from about 6PM onwards in the downtown core west of Thurlow and also around the Kits Point area where the Museum are - vehicle entry is restricted to residents who can produce ID that they live in the area - bus service becomes problematic in the West End because of the size of the crowd - in good weather 300,000 + watch for fireworks.

As for hotel - while the BW Sands is right there not sure I would want to be that close to the chaos - one hotel that might have good views would be Coast Plaza on Denman - don`t beleive that there are too many buildings blocking the views from there

Will keep thinking of ideas.

I will actually miss all three performances this year as I will be heading for the Rockies for a week of hiking - after three months of census work i need some exercise - have to get in shape for the Panama cruise this fall.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived