A hidden gem!!

Sheffie

I feel like we found a hidden gem when we went to Le Galion Beach. What a wonderful, calm beach!! We were met by Chris the "Beach Dude," who got us chairs and an umbrella ($15) and set us up on the beach. The beach is wonderful if you have kids, as it is VERY shallow for a long way out and there are NO waves. They have 2 floating rafts, one in the shallows and one out farther. The snorkeling wasn't good, as snorkeling in St. Maarten tends to not be, but we saw a LOT of sea urchins that were different from ones we had seen before. We got a really cool shell there, also.

Our friends got some food and it was very good and reasonably priced. I think the hamburger was $5.50 and the hot dog $3.50. The drinks were very reasonable and very good also.

So, if you are looking for a calm, quiet spot on St. Maarten, try out Le Galion. Just don't go there next year when we are there!! ;)

It may be your 'hidden gem', but karysa and I have been preaching the greatness of le Galion for ages.

th_DSCN3348.jpg

(click)

Just be aware that it is a very popular family beach for locals, and can become very crowded on weekends.

gary

Gary, that is probably how we heard about it. I am glad to be in your choir!!

Sheffie, did you notice much toplessness? This seems to stop some of the people with kids and they instead choose a beach on the Dutch side that is not as kid friendly when it comes to the quality of the water or the slope and wave conditions. I was only there on one occasion where I saw a topless lady frollicking around in the water with her guy friend. Other than that one time it is not something that was "in your face" at Le Galion. To me it is very much a family beach and we just explained to our girls when they were younger, that in St. Martin like in Europe this is the way people dress at the beach.

The other issue seems to be the availability to get a taxi back to the port. With the proximity of LeGalion to Orient and the Butterfly Farm I can't imagine that getting a taxi would be that difficult. Did you have any transportation issues?

Sheffie, did you notice much toplessness? This seems to stop some of the people with kids and they instead choose a beach on the Dutch side that is not as kid friendly when it comes to the quality of the water or the slope and wave conditions. I was only there on one occasion where I saw a topless lady frollicking around in the water with her guy friend. Other than that one time it is not something that was "in your face" at Le Galion. To me it is very much a family beach and we just explained to our girls when they were younger, that in St. Martin like in Europe this is the way people dress at the beach.

The other issue seems to be the availability to get a taxi back to the port. With the proximity of LeGalion to Orient and the Butterfly Farm I can't imagine that getting a taxi would be that difficult. Did you have any transportation issues?

Karysa, there were some ladies who were topless, but was not "in your face," (so to speak.) I didn't really even notice it till we were there quite a while.

As for a taxi, we had the lady who dropped us off come back at a designated time to take us back to the ship. The taxis don't go through there a lot, I guess, especially on a day when we were the only ship at the port. I would do the same next time. I bet, though, that Chris, the Beach Dude, would call one for you if you asked.

Karysa, there were some ladies who were topless, but was not "in your face," (so to speak.) I didn't really even notice it till we were there quite a while.

As for a taxi, we had the lady who dropped us off come back at a designated time to take us back to the ship. The taxis don't go through there a lot, I guess, especially on a day when we were the only ship at the port. I would do the same next time. I bet, though, that Chris, the Beach Dude, would call one for you if you asked.

Others have asked the staff at the restaurant to call them a taxi as well. We generally have good luck with driver's coming back to get us when we are visiting other islands but most of my experience on St. Martin is when I am on vacation and we have a rental car then.

Archived