Doing the Math...

RMM34667

Since I got back from my last cruise 8 days ago I've been searching for my next adventure.. I found it. I want to sail the Crown for my 50th birthday in May 2012. I did the math and in order to save up enough money to pay it off by final payment, I need to save $25 a day for the next 335 days.. This would cover cruise (inside cabin) and airfare for myself and my mother. At first glance it seems really unattainable. But... I think I might be able to pull it off. I just need to start listing to Dave Ramsey again. Rice and Bean and Beans and Rice... I can get 1/3 of that by just quiting smoking! Maybe redirect some of my retirement savings to my vacation savings.

It is a challenge I'm happy to take on.. If I fail then I would have to settle for another caribbean or maybe panama canal cruise. Not much to lose!

If that is the transatlantic you should be able to do it much cheaper once it gets closer to the date. The ships rarely sell out anf I wish I had waited as my obstructed view is now but isnow about $500 less

I say "Do It!"

Quit that smoking, you will feel better and attain 1/3 of your goal! So cool that you are thinking of your mother to travel with you! My mom and I did some traveling until she came down with polymyalgia (?) last year. Go for it you can do it!

Good luck with your goal!! Check some of the discount travel agents, they should be able to get you a better price. Look at your spending, besides quitting smoking, there are probably other places you can cut back.

And don't forget price drops! Keep watching for price drops. TA cruises often have great deals. Let your TA know what you're interested in and have them notify you should a super deal pop up. That way you'll have 2 pairs of eyes watching for that dream cruise.

I'm sure the price will come down, and hopefully oil will come down as welln (thus airfares). But my estimate didn't include spending money so I'm thinking if I set my goal high, then it will be less credit card usage in the end. (but of course there will be some of this trip on credit!)

My mother's dream is to see Ephesus. Only two cruises fit the bill of visiting that port and including my 50th. With those goals it will be easy to NOT sail for 13 months.

I'm thinking of booking with the minimum deposit this week, then quietly paying it down over the next 11 months. So then I can again give my mother a cruise for Christmas!

That's how DH and I plan all of our trips. We figure out how much we have to save per week. Then when final payment is due we have the money. Then from final payment to sailing, we continue to save that amount and that's our spending money. Then I take out an interest free credit card for 12 months and use that on the cruise so I have a year to pay it off! (Only take about 3 months to pay it, but it gives us a cushion! )

In June 2010, we decided we wanted to do the 28 day Tahiti-Samoa-Hawaii cruise...and we didn't want to put it on our credit card. As of today, we have saved all the money for the cruise fare along with the money to spend on the cruise. Amazing :D Of course, we will charge the cruise but then pay it off as soon as it bills.

Now we have 6 months to save the money DH won't be paid while we are gone for 28 days!!!!!!

If you really set a goal and put your mind to it, you can do anything.

Cheers, Denise

Sounds like a great plan! Good luck with the saving and with quitting smoking.

It is very refreshing to hear about someone saving for what they want. That is always the best way. It's nice to come home from a trip with pictures and great memories rather than credit card bills.

There are so many ways to save! Go over your bills - do you really need all these cable TV channels? We charge all we can on credit card, pay off the balance monthly, get cash back (we don't save points). Cook at home versus going out for lunch, and those Starbucks do add up, make your own coffee. Check food stores sales, stock up when something you need is on sale.

Any time you reach for your wallet/checkbook/credit card, ask yourself, is it worth it versus going on a cruise.

I can get 1/3 of that by just quitting smoking!

Go for it! My first cruise was paid for entirely by my smokes money. (That was back when they were ONLY 4 bucks a pack)

Talk to your doctor about Chantix. It worked well for me and i didn't have any side effects other then some strange dreams. It makes quitting soooo much easier.

I recently took up quitting soking again (LOL). Have smoked for more than 40 years. This time i Really wanted to quit. Quitting because you "should" is much harder than when you really "want" to stop. I stopped one other time - for a trip to China - but went right back when I got home from the trip, so I would say really convince yourself of ALL the advantages before you quit.

Its been 3 weeks, so I am not out of the woods yet!!!

Thanks for all the support! I really think I can do it. And I also think by the time March of 2012 comes around the trip won't cost what it's listed at now.

And I could probably find a cheaper cruise, but I don't want to. I WANT to go Princess. I just completed my fourth. I would be cool if I could fit in a quick (cheap) cruise before May 2012. Then my 50th B Day Cruise I would be Platnium. But not sure I could spare the vacation days!

Archived