Dry Tortugas

elcano

What are your port hours? There aren't any planes making the dry tortugas run anymore, so you have to take a ferry. It's 2+ hours each way, leaves early in the morning (7:15 checkin, 8am departure), and returns to Key West around 5-5:30. Very unlikely that this will fit in to a port call window.

What are your port hours? There aren't any planes making the dry tortugas run anymore, so you have to take a ferry. It's 2+ hours each way, leaves early in the morning (7:15 checkin, 8am departure), and returns to Key West around 5-5:30. Very unlikely that this will fit in to a port call window.

Definitely it will be impossible to make it from a cruise... Thought of Majesty OTS ( from 10:00 am to 18:00 pm ). Obviously it is better to get there with more time.

Did you enjoyed the place? Thanks for your valuable information, jeffbrig.

I actually haven't been to the dry tortugas yet. My wife and I usually spend a weekend or two in Key West each year, and this is something we've always talked about doing. I've looked into it a couple of times, but we haven't actually gone there yet.

IMO, if you take the seaplane, bight the cost bullet and go for the all-day trip. This will give you time to walk around the fort on the inside, once on top of the walls for the views in the four directions, and once around it on the moat. Then you can have time to swim or snorkel.

A view from one of the walls

454283490_Ph2nE-L.jpg

And just before landing

481936412_tvVfX-O.jpg

Unfortunately you can no longer walk out to Bird Key. Hurricane Wilma wiped out the drift of sand to there.

454283511_TriJD-L.jpg

Pjk

• 3 weeks later...

Archived