Golden Princess drydock May 2012

Adventures ahead

I read that the Golden is headed for a drydock in May 2012. We're considering the April 11 or April 25 sailing, 14-day Hawaii - LA.

On the Grand Princess thread about its drydock, it is stated that the Golden is not losing the Skywalkers Lounge (shopping cart handle construction) and that construction (disruptions for passengers) started as far back as February and March. If the Golden's improvements are not as extensive as the Grand's, could we expect less disruption?

Can someone set me straight on what construction is planned and how much it would affect the April sailings as workers may get a head start?

The Golden underwent its major transformation in 2009, and is in exceptional condition. Any drydock would be for maintenance and minor tweaking ... probably a very short time. May would fall between the Hawaii and Alaska itineraries. The Grand is losing Skywalkers because of structural issues, which were corrected when the Golden and Star were built. I wouldn't have a problem with booking the cruise.

The Golden will be going into "Wet Dock" May 11th thru May 19th in San Francisco.. As others have said here probably for minor issues..

Eight days isn't much time for anything beyond an oil change and tuneup ... they're not even taking her out of the water. It's very likely due to the itinerary change from Hawaii to Alaska. You'll be fine. Have a terrific cruise!

I read that the Golden is headed for a drydock in May 2012. We're considering the April 11 or April 25 sailing, 14-day Hawaii - LA.

On the Grand Princess thread about its drydock, it is stated that the Golden is not losing the Skywalkers Lounge (shopping cart handle construction) and that construction (disruptions for passengers) started as far back as February and March. If the Golden's improvements are not as extensive as the Grand's, could we expect less disruption?

Can someone set me straight on what construction is planned and how much it would affect the April sailings as workers may get a head start?

I am booked on the April 25th sailing, and this was bantered around on our roll call.

We eventually decided pretty much what everyone else here has said...that she is going in for routine maintenance.

If you decide to book April 25, come join our roll call. :)

Thank you so much for asking this question, we will be sailing on her this winter (date yet to be determined) LA - Hawaii - LA.

Even more exciting is hearing that Skywalker's will still be on Golden. I found this, along with Promenade, to be my favorite decks. We loved sitting in the corner of Skywalkers during the hot afternoon and getting that GREAT Panoramic View.

Not that I am complaining but, OK if you want to take Skywalker's away then put the gym somewhere else and give us a lounge with a comperable view. JMHO

Thanks for your replies.

I figured it must be a 'wetdock' since it's the transition days between the Hawaii and Alaksa cruise seasons. I'd still be interested in knowing what renos are planned and will need to wade through the April 25 roll call to see if I can pick up a few more tidbits. If anyone learns the details, let us know.

My hope was that the last sailing (April 25) would, possibly, be two weeks into better weather and have me at sea for my BIG 6-oh!. The alternatives are the Sapphire with the same itinerary from LA or the 15-day sailing from San Francisco. However, both of these go during the last two weeks in April and don't spill over into May.

DH and I are sailing on the Golden in August to Alaska for our 40th anniversary so I'll try to get the scoop from someone on board. Maybe the Captain! If so, I'll let everyone know on cruisecritic, especially since we have this 'Golden' opportunity (:D, sorry, I couldn't resist)!

I was on the Golden three voyages before the 2009 dry dock. We had little disruption. I heard from people who were on the last voyage that there was a lot of disruption. I would avoid at least the two voyages before the dry dock. I'm surprised to hear Skywalkers is not going as one of the big points for it on the Grand was making the ship more fuel efficient. On the Hawaii itinerary there are very few teens and kids. Skywalkers really does not get used that much.

Maybe by the 2012-2013 Hawaii season Princess is going to put a different ship on the Hawaii route.

Archived