Great hotels in Santiago and Buenos Aires

LibLively

For those of you going to South America, we just returned and I would like to highly recommend two hotels: the Ritz Carlton in Santiago, Chile and the Alvear Palace in Buenos Aires. The Ritz Carlton was one of the nicest Ritz Carltons we've ever stayed in and the Alvear Palace may be one of the best hotels in the world! Both hotels have wonderful concierges, lovely elegant rooms, terrific restaurants, and in general every amenity you could wish for. (At the Alvear there is butler service on each floor, free pressing of 2 garments each upon arrival, and fresh flowers in the room every day.) Both hotels arranged guides and private cars for us. ( In Buenos Aires, you can get a car and driver for $25/hour and a private tour guide for $14/hr! In other words, for about $150 you can have a 4 hour private tour...what a deal!) Unlike Europe, the value you get for your money is astounding!

I have to agree about the Ritz Carlton in Santiago. We were there in January and it was one of the nicest hotels we have ever experienced. The people were terrific, and the hotel is fabulous. We also had a car that they arranged to take us to Valparaiso and it worked out really well.

Vicki

Aussie gal,

Check to see if you can get a weekend package. We did, and it was terrific. We got a beautiful room, full breakfast buffet, butler drawn bath, and a massage daily. I think I called them directly and found out about this special.

Have a great time in Santiago. It is a beautiful city.

Vicki

We just stayed at the Kennedy this week, it was great, our second year there. It's in the nice residential area of Vita Cura. We paid $85 for our room, including taxes and a huge breakfast. Got 30 minutes free internet, a free welcome drink with snacks on arrival. Their restaurant is first-class, also nice lobby and bar areas inside and outside. Great views from the room. Very helpful staff, the concierge arranged for taxis several times and gave good local advice.

Aussie Gal,

If you use the Concierge services at the Ritz Santiago to provide you with a tour guide/driver you can save money by requesting a medium size car instead of the large one. They were using peugeot's last January.

You can also read my comments regarding which vineard to visit a few threads back.

If you are cruising "around the horn" I posted a review in midfebruary on the Crystal site. It was a great experience.

Paco

Paco,

Thanks for your good advice though we are disembarking in Valpariso and will be doing a winery tour on our way to Santiago. I had already taken note of the vineyard you had recommended.

I also found your review on the Crystal Board. Thanks for that. We have yet to do a Crystal Cruise and am looking forward to that in the next year or so. It sounds as though it was a great trip.

Jennie

Archived