Anything you wana know about Oasis...ask me!

What days is the Hairspray Production Show?

Its on various days... I believe there are 3 days that you can go see it...You pick the day/time that you want to go... there are various times as well as days you can go see Hairspray.

• 2 months later...
Hello- It was a great cruise and I am sure that you and your group are going to have an amazing time! I cant wait to sail on the Oasis (again) or the Allure for that fact... its truly a remarkable ship!

1. They take the picture in the terminal- right behind the check-in area.

2. You enter right in the heart of the Central Promanade... deck 5 if I remember right.... the only reason I dont remember the EXACT levels is because the Oasis elevators have pictures on the buttons for the neighborhoods/floors that you are getting on/off on. For instance, the boardwalk (deck 6 I think) has a picture of a carousel horse... promanade has a picture of a car (since there's one in the promanade); and there's one for the entertainment floor... I think the pictures change from elevator to elevator- but they make it SO easy to remember what floor the major things are on.

3. Our shuttle left our hotel at 12:30 and we were on the ship by 1:15. Our room was ready as soon as we got on since it was so late. (this was the LATEST we've ever boarded any cruise before) but it was really nice to be able to go to the room right away and dump our carryons.... in addition to this- we had MOST of our luggage in our room by 2:00... I was AMAZED at how fast this process was! What an awesome system Oasis has!!!

Boarding day was so smooth and easy. We were really impressed with the ease and finesse of boarding. It was a really painless process. There really isnt anything that made boarding day a hassle and that was a HUGE relief!

Additional tips i have:

We had a standard (not sure what category) balcony cabin... my boyfriend, brother and myself shared the room... we had 2 twin beds and a bunk bed.... there was plenty of room in the cabin and the bathroom---- BUT there's barely ANY storage space and not enough hangers. Luckily I brought a few hangers from home and it was a LIFESAVER! The worst thing about Oasis is that they REALLY cut down on the storage space. It made no sense to me... bring hangers, bins, ect... so that you have enough space to store everything.

Theres always a lot of discussion on where the beds are in balcony cabins- bed by the bathroom or bed by the balcony... aparently one lay-out is better than the other.... we had bed by the bathroom and my grandparents had the cabin next to us with bed by the balcony... I spent a lot of time in both rooms...and it didnt seem to make a difference... your on a cruise for the vacation not the room anyway right?!...(our balcony's were opened so they connected- ask you room stuard and they will open them up! TONS OF SPACE! It was awesomr)

DO the zipline, DO the flowrider! Ice-skating if you miss it-its not the end of the world...the ice was really chopped up it was hard to skate.

DONT MISS the Oasis of Dreams or the Splish Splash Aqua shows. (Splish Splash is a no-reservation show)- its on sea-days. a cute comedy- GREAT show!

The doughnuts on the boardwalk are great! Wipeout cafe has awesome "junk food"- pretzel dogs, tacos, soup, and FREE ice cream! it gets busy as the week goes on and people realize the ice cream is there.

Im sure you know already- the raost beef sandwiches are TOOO DIE for in the Park Cafe! Seating is limited there so check the times on the TV's before you go...(( If you dont know)) there are touch-screen TV's all over the ship and you can click on dining and it will show you a wait time/ occupancy in ALL of the dining establishments. this is also on your cabin TV- I dont know how accurate it was- but it helped us to know what places to go and what places to avoid.

The carousel was NEVER that busy- there's no rush to get there for a ride... no matter your age (or anybody in your group) ride it at least once, its a blast!

SIGN your wavers before-hand! It makes a HUGE difference- no waiting for anything!

DO make reservations for ALL shows- you can just show your ship-card and walk right in... its nice!

If you're on My-time dining- make reservations for dinner ( this was our first time doing this- we were SO confused)... after day 2 we LEARNED that reservations save TONS of time... (theres a huge line for non-resrvation guests) and a smaller and faster moving one for reservations).... if you like a particular table/waiter you can request to reserve that waiter/table every night and they'll try their best to put you at that table. We had the same section/waiter every night. HE was AWESOME... he's know in the dining room as Marlon Brando- if you want to request him- the staff knows just who he is!

The Solarium dance party's we LOTS of fun (18+) check your compass for the nights that they are hosted.

DONT miss the 70's party or the Farewell party in the promonade. They throw out really neat flashing light rings at both party's- they were a HOT item!!!! get there early and the best place is in front of the cupckae shop/rising tide bar.

Richard Spacey- as im sure you've heard is An AMAZING cruise director!!!!!! He was great!

Walkey talkies DONT work- since 5000 other people also brought theirs and the ship uses theirs, and the islanders have their own sets as well. We woke up in mexico to a man laughing and talking in spanish over our walkie-talkies that my brother left on in the room overnight. It was prety scary trying to figure out at 5am why a man was speaking spanish in our room! but funny when we figured out why! :)

If you are a Diamond or up member of Crown and Anchor- DONT miss the helipad sailaway party! Its by invite only.... not sure what day it would be on... I know its on a port day- it was so neat and great pictures were taken!

The best time to take photos of the ship is after 2am, early in the morning (before 7) and....on the last night any-time after about 11pm- the ship is nearly empty and you can take pictures without people being in them.

There are picture view-finders all over the ship in brass-type pillar things-(not sure how to describe them)... you look inside them and there are pictures in each (a different one)--- it was fun to walk around all week and discover the new pictures in each pillar.

If anybody in your group is 18-30 and they look young- be prepared to be carded- with a photo ID. Security is VERY strict on this ship in particular and I needed to carry my ID and show it at every bar-dinner, show, ect. when I orderd a drink. (Im 24 and look very young, so I expected it, some people on our cruise didn and I heard lots of complaints :(...) My brother is 19 and he was literally hounded by security every night( he also looks young)- they wanted to check and recheck his Id and ship card- to make sure of curfew (1am for 18 and under) and they told us numerous times that he couldnt drink...We knew this and obeyed this and would have never broken these rules... it got annyoing mid-week but I know they were just doing their jobs... Just a warning so that your group can be prepared!... This didnt put a damper on our vacation- it was annoying yes, but hey, we were on a cruise so it was all OK!

WOW... thats a lot!!!!!!!I cant think of anymore at the moment.. There's really so much to see/do/experience on the Oasis I could go on and on forever- I had a list of Cruise Critic tips and I stopped following them after the 3rd day- there was TOO much to do!!!

The week goes by so much faster then it does on other ships. just pace yourselves and dont try to cram too much into your week. There will be enough things that you all do that you will come home and rave about- so that if you miss rock climbing or something else that you wanted to do- you wont really mind it.

If theres anything else specific that you want to know- let me know! AS you can tell I have tons of advice to share! It really is a great week on a great ship! Im sure you all will enjoy!

WOW,,,, Thanks for the info

What colour is the plimsol line on the Oasis ?

Is the toilet paper single or double ply ?

Does the water go clockwise or anti clockwise down the drain? Does this change?

:D

1. White

2. It is so thin it could pass for half ply

3, It depends, on if you are north or south of the equator. If you are exactly on the equator, it goes straight down the drain.

We were on a FULL ship during spring break and....Odd enough as it may seem---- the ship NEVER felt croweded! the only times that I noticed A LOT of people (all in one area) was during the parades/shows that they had in the promanade deck on certain nights- during those it was IMPOSSIBLE to walk through the promanade- but if you avoided it by going to a different deck- there was no problem at all....

The only port that seemed crowed was Cozumel and that was only getting through the security checkpoint (there was an hour until sail-away)... the security is set up on the island (not ship employees) and security was a MESS! the Voyager also was there and shared the same dock as we did and thats a BIG ship as well- so there were really TOO many people all at one time trying to get back to the ships.... there were 6 other ships in Cozumel that day- we just stayed on our peir and didnt venture into the town- from what I heard- it wasnt TOO crowded.

The other ports Labadee and Falmouth- were FINE!

The only line we stood in the whole week was to get into the My Time Dining. and that was maybe 15 minutes tops every night!

The Windjammer was crowded at breakfast mostly- but we did manage to find a table every day! The staff are more than willing to help you find a place to sit!- there is also an option on your cabin TV that will show you the wait time for all of the dining establishments on board- this seemed to be somewhat accurate and it made it easy to pick and choose where to go eat- that is also accessible on the touch screen TV's found everywhere on the ship!

Johnny Rockets has a FREE breakfast that was reasonable- and there are FREE doughnuts on the boardwalk as well...

There was really never a problem with people. It seemed like we were on a "regular" sized cruise ship the whole time...

we never really waited to get off or back on the ship when we were in port either- its really a well developed ship with a great plan for moving people efficiently!

I SAY GOOOOO FOR IT! You'll love it... (only if, this isnt you first cruise) we (my family and I) all agreed that its TOO much for a first cruise- but if you're not new to cruising its a MUST DO ship!

Just now seeing your posts. Lots of great information. However I do have one question. You commented "only if this isn't your first cruise, it's to much for a first cruise". Can you give me some more information? I have booked this for my wife and I on 9/24 for our 10 year anniversary and we are first timers. I've not heard that yet. Any information would be great.

Just now seeing your posts. Lots of great information. However I do have one question. You commented "only if this isn't your first cruise, it's to much for a first cruise". Can you give me some more information? I have booked this for my wife and I on 9/24 for our 10 year anniversary and we are first timers. I've not heard that yet. Any information would be great.

I think the OP means that the ship is so huge that it can be quite overwhelming for someone who's not used to cruising. There's so much to navigate through on this ship from all the activities, venues, eateries, etc. You should do fine though, since you are 1st timers and have nothing to compare against. The problem you might have is that after this cruise it will be hard for you to cruise on a smaller ship. You will compare all future cruises against this one and think they don't match up, when actually the smaller ships are just as wonderful, but for different reasons. They tend to give you more of a "cruise" feel. You're able to sit in a lounge, have a cocktail and watch the sea go by through an oversized porthole window. On the Oasis you will actually have to go outdoors on deck to see the ocean (or on your balcony). Personally, I happen to like both. The Oasis is a wonderful ship for different reasons. You won't be bored or go hungry. There are spaces for you to relax and unwind or if you want to be in the middle of the action, there are places for that also. There's always something to see and do. And if you get tired of that, just go shopping and buy your wife a new Coach bag for your anniversary. I'm sure she'll love it!

I think the OP means that the ship is so huge that it can be quite overwhelming for someone who's not used to cruising. There's so much to navigate through on this ship from all the activities, venues, eateries, etc. You should do fine though, since you are 1st timers and have nothing to compare against. The problem you might have is that after this cruise it will be hard for you to cruise on a smaller ship. You will compare all future cruises against this one and think they don't match up, when actually the smaller ships are just as wonderful, but for different reasons. They tend to give you more of a "cruise" feel. You're able to sit in a lounge, have a cocktail and watch the sea go by through an oversized porthole window. On the Oasis you will actually have to go outdoors on deck to see the ocean (or on your balcony). Personally, I happen to like both. The Oasis is a wonderful ship for different reasons. You won't be bored or go hungry. There are spaces for you to relax and unwind or if you want to be in the middle of the action, there are places for that also. There's always something to see and do. And if you get tired of that, just go shopping and buy your wife a new Coach bag for your anniversary. I'm sure she'll love it!

Thanks for the response. I was afraid of that as well. We have chosen the best of the best from what everyone tells us and right now there is nowhere to go up to. I have heard and read alot about the smaller ships as well. We want this one to be absolutely positive so we can continue the tradition of cruising. I'm sure my wife will appreciate the help on that coach bag as well. She will be pampered. Thanks again

Bruce

Are any of the doughnuts ever freshly baked? I'm a huge fan of freshly baked doughnuts, but as many times as I have heard the doughnut store mentioned, I have never heard anything about whether or not you could get them fresh for certain types at certain times.

Also, any word of fruit crepes?

Superior Ocean View Strm with Balcony

In other words, a D cabin, 2-8, right?

Plan on some living out of your suitcases, which you will slide under your bed. My son has done this on some cruises, and has no problem with it.

No, three women will not be able to hang up or shelve all of their clothes.

:)

In other words, a D cabin, 2-8, right?

Plan on some living out of your suitcases, which you will slide under your bed. My son has done this on some cruises, and has no problem with it.

No, three women will not be able to hang up or shelve all of their clothes.

:)

thanks!

i don't care about anything anymore but being on the boat! :)

I can't offer you any help on that one--- sorry! :(

We were in 9820 and my other family in 9818- ocean-balcony- we we're pretty much at the very back of the ship.

Did you mean 9318 and 9320. Cant seem to find 98xx rooms on the deck plans. How was the location? Would you book there again?

Well said. IMHO the "spoiled" feeling doesn't last long. My first cruise was on the Queen Mary 2 (the largest at that time), next was Freedom of the Seas (the largest at the time). While my next cruise was on the Queen Victoria (a smaller ship) it was equally as pleasureable because the ports of call were interesting and exotic. While I love the large ships, my love of cruising outweighs the size consideration in my cruise selection decision. Whatever size ship you choose will be a great decision once you sail away.

Archived