muster drill & sail away

2 cruzen

Was so looking forward to sailaway with our adult kids on their first cruise. Just as muster drill was finishing - the whistle blew for sailaway. what a bummer. They were at different muster stations, plus there wasn't time to get to Lido all together, so they went our DOD toasts and smiles. I think I am going to write to Carnival to suggest that they coordinate muster to end before sailaway begins. It can't be that hard - they do it every week. Maybe if I tell them they lost about $80.00 in drinks (we had 9 in our group) - that would help pursuade them. Just disappointing.

Was so looking forward to sailaway with our adult kids on their first cruise. Just as muster drill was finishing - the whistle blew for sailaway. what a bummer. They were at different muster stations, plus there wasn't time to get to Lido all together, so they went our DOD toasts and smiles. I think I am going to write to Carnival to suggest that they coordinate muster to end before sailaway begins. It can't be that hard - they do it every week. Maybe if I tell them they lost about $80.00 in drinks (we had 9 in our group) - that would help pursuade them. Just disappointing.

they've been doing that a lot, and on every one of our last 5 ccl cruises. yet jh says it's not on purpose.

Carnival has been doing this for years on almost every cruise. It makes no sense to me either all they have to do is leave a bit later or if that is not possible then move up the muster drill by 20 minutes or so. Seems simple enough but perhaps there are other factors.

I know every NCL and RCL cruise I have been on the drill was over prior to sailing.

This is why we always make arrangments to meet at a certain place on deck after the muster drill for the sail away party.

What time the ship sets sail is dependent on many, many things. Once on the Splendor, we didn't set sail until close to midnight even though we were scheduled to leave at 5:00pm.

Carnival does this a lot. I don't know why they stopped making a big deal out of sail away. RCI and Princess always finish muster drill at least 30 minutes before the sail away party begins on deck.....And there's always a very nice party on deck.

Carnival, please listen and try to better coordinate muster drill and sail away. PLEASE!

Realize, the order of events. The ship can't leave the dock until the muster drill is complete. The cruise lines pay hefty fees ($50K+) if they are late leaving port. So the issue is how quickly can the passengers get to their muster positions so the muster drill can finish quickly.

Sorry for a stupid question ....but what is a muster drill? Planning second cruise for next year (first cruise was 1997 on Inspiration). Really enjoying this site!!

That's the super fun life boat drill that must be performed at the beginning of every cruise.

Now a days, the muster drill is almost as much fun as the sail away party. I've notice how the fun team rushes through sail away set up and break down. By the time we start dancing, it's over. I guess they do it so often that it's just second nature for them.

For me, "sail away" isn't about meeting up with people - it's the sound of the horn and seeing the ship start to pull away. that is what I want to experience. I know there are many, many reasons why that can't always happen on time, but it would be nice if maybe they could begin muster a little bit sooner - and then have people follow directions by getting there on time. Wishful thinking.....

This is my only complaint when sailing on Carnival. Muster is never finished before we start to pull away from the dock. I really don't understand why it's always this way.

On all of my RCI cruises we have always finished muster well before sail away. And we love those on deck sail away parties!

I really like cruising Carnival but wish the powers that be would understand that most of us like to experience sail away and would like to finish up muster before not during the ship being untied and heading out.

Archived