Do I need water shoes for Southern Carib cruise?

Hi everyone,

going on the Serenade In July visiting:

St. Croix

Antigua

St. Lucia

Barbados

St Marten

Do I need to bring watershoes for any of these islands? Keep in mind just planning to hit the beach and go swimming but nothing too strenuous.

Thanks for your advice:)

I just returned from visiting each of those islands. The only beach we needed watershoes for, was Jalousie beach in St. Lucia, and at that beach, only for the side where people are snorkling. So all in all, you can do fine without water shoes

In St. Jucia you also need water shoes for the other side of Jalousie Beach. We had water sandels, but the little pieces of shell were really bad on our feet, between foot and shoe. We finally took off shoes, but didn't stay in water too long. There was also a bad undertow. Definitely get water shoes.

I haven't been to the beaches in the Southern Caribbean yet, but I found a good pair of water shoes. They are made by Lands End and while they cost more than the ones at Wal Mart, etc., they last. They also offer more support for your feet while walking on shore excursions that include beach time.

Jalousie beach is a bit different than the beaches you'll encounter on the other islands you mention. The water is darker, and it has more rocks by the shore. The island is also quite a bit more tropical than then the other islands you mentioned. The beach is a set between the Pitons, two mountains. To get to the beach you'll most likely arrive by water taxi from the nearby town of Soufiere. You can google the beach and pull up pictures

We were on Jalouise Beach in St Lucia a few years back on Cosol's Tour. It was great. We went into the water without water shoes and didn't have an issue. The sand is nice too. The only thing we noticed was little fishies nipping at our toes !

When you are in St Maarten go to Orient Beach. It is crystal clear perfect water. We also really enjoyed Dickenson Bay in Antigua, it was so pretty there!

St Croix I did a snorkeling tour (which was awesome, we were brought out pretty far into the ocean and I remember the guide saying 'don't go past that rope, or we won't see you again , yikes!), so we didn't really hit a particular beach. And in St Thomas, we've been to Sapphire Beach and I think its called Cocoa Beach (its where everyone pretty much goes to swim and feed the fish and the water park thing was there, sorry can't remember!).

I would say yes to using the water shoes while you are in St. Croix as well. We were taken to a beach on the other side of the island (can't recall what it was), and a local said to be wary of sea urchins further out in the water, amongst the rocks. When I swam out, they weren't actually that far out...and some were pulled onto the shore because of some waves.

Better to be safe than sorry!

I haven't been to the beaches in the Southern Caribbean yet, but I found a good pair of water shoes. They are made by Lands End and while they cost more than the ones at Wal Mart, etc., they last. They also offer more support for your feet while walking on shore excursions that include beach time.

How do you order them?

Bought mine at Wal-Mart for about $2.00 at least 10 yrs. ago. Still wearing them. Bought DH a pair last fall for $3.49 at Wal-Mart. He says his are not a comfortable as I say mine are, but oh well. We don't use them that often.

Hi everyone,

going on the Serenade In July visiting:

St. Croix

Antigua

St. Lucia

Barbados

St Marten

Do I need to bring watershoes for any of these islands? Keep in mind just planning to hit the beach and go swimming but nothing too strenuous.

Thanks for your advice:)

Real men would never wear watershoes.:eek:

I try to always remember to bring them with me because when I don't, I inevitably find that the nice sandy beach that I remembered is now littered with large and small rocks that can make getting into and out of the water difficult. Last year a storm that had passed by St. Maarten a week or two before we were there left most of her beaches extremely rocky.:)

I have a couple pair of dive boots as I dive (obviously). The shoes have nice thick soles which are good for walking anywhere and perfect for the water. I have water shoes (from 15 years ago) but now that I have dive boots, I don't need the water shoes for the beaches. Try sierra trading (one word) with dot com for good prices. Also scuba with dot com have good shoes.

I found that some sharp objects can still really poke you through the Walmart type shoes.

IMO

We are totally beach people and in all the years we have cruised we have never taken water shoes. The Caribbean is so fantastic with some of the best beaches ever, soft sand, never have we needed anything but bare feet!!!

We always pack them...not too difficult as they are lightweight and don't really take up much space - can easily go in the outer pocket of luggage. They go into the beach bag so we have them if needed. There have been a few beaches where we've both used them, a few more beaches where I've used them and DH didn't. It's nice to have them if needed!!

Real men would never wear watershoes.:eek:

...unless you're a diabetic like me who if you get a cut on your foot it may not heal properly and end up getting a nasty infection and possibly lose a toe or worse. Just something other people don't have to deal with.

Great way to ruin a vacation.

Guess that makes us diabetics real pansy-waists.

Sometimes a little prevention goes a long way.

Got my Speedo shoes at Kohl's online.

Archived