first time cruiser with questions about the splendor

hello everyone. I must say that I have been learning a lot by lurking and reading threads about cruising! Myself and my fiance are getting married and are going to the Mexican Rivera as a honeymoon treat! We are both first time cruisers and are looking for a little advice for rooms. We are looking at going for the Cloud 9 balcony room and we were wondering what amenities will this allow us? It seems no one has answers about spa prices and can only tell me that it will be an extra 240 or so above a regular balcony room. Thanks again!

hello everyone. I must say that I have been learning a lot by lurking and reading threads about cruising! Myself and my fiance are getting married and are going to the Mexican Rivera as a honeymoon treat! We are both first time cruisers and are looking for a little advice for rooms. We are looking at going for the Cloud 9 balcony room and we were wondering what amenities will this allow us? It seems no one has answers about spa prices and can only tell me that it will be an extra 240 or so above a regular balcony room. Thanks again!

I haven't yet cruised on Splendor, but will really soon! :D

Anyhow, the Spa rooms have upgraded toiletries, more zen-like Asian inspired decor, I believe you get to keep the slippers and the robes are only for use on board. Spa rooms also have different colored beach towels and of course you get the bracelet for direct access to spa facilities which is the steam rooms, mineral pool, heated tile lounges, sauna, etc. Any spa services are extra.

FYI, Spa prices for services are outrageous, but I suppose if you really want a massage or other treatment at sea, your at the mercy of the cruise ship. I sail on Splendor in less than 2 weeks and my hubby and I will be doing the couples mud room one day and I think that will allow us a one-day pass for the spa. Also if you don't plan on going to the spa everyday, the pass for $240 goes down each day, so if you only plan on using it in the last 3 days, you may pay 50% less.

Anyhow, do a forum search for spa rooms and you'll get way more info.

Hope this helped a bit...

I didn't sail in the Cloud 9 balcony cabin, but did have a spa balcony cabin on the Splendor (cabin 1011). LOVED the cabin. Super pretty color scheme, prettier bathroom, nice complimentary toiletries (lotions, etc.), big (very big!) comfy terrycloth robes (to use, not to keep), some terrycloth slippers (to keep), and we ADORED the use of the spa area! We used it every day for no less than an hour each time. There are a couple of steam rooms, saunas, a huge therapy pool (think jacuzzi for 25), and a relaxation room with floor to ceiling windows that have these heated lounge chairs that are amazing. Plus the spa cabins (generally) have no kids, so it's quieter, it's a non-smoking area too, if that's important to you. The spa cabins also provide you with 2 free group exercise classes (they run $10 each), like yoga, or spin.

The daily pass price for the spa area is about $60 per couple, so if you plan to utilize the spa area, it's a good deal. I say treat yourself. It's your honeymoon for goodness sake! :p

You can view my Splendor pictures (including photos of the spa area) here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/tea4ular/CarnivalSplendorSept27Oct42009#

Others have explained everything well, but I have to tell you that Splendor's spa is the reasons we haven't (so to speak) jumped ship. As honeymooners you will appreciate that everything is co-ed, too: aromatherapy steam room, thalassotherapy pool, the different saunas.

DH and I are not "spa people." We're completely unfashionable, totally fat, our hair styles are carefully styled by the current weather, and I've never had a mani/pedi in my life and still don't want to. But we can't wait for our next spa cabin (aka Cloud 9) on Splendor. (Two things to enjoy about the cabin: easy access to the spa, and non-smoking rooms, INCLUDING balconies!) We're not talking about excursions, the trivia, the steakhouse, the shows, the time spent relaxing on the balcony with our Kindles - all of that will be amazing, but all we TALK about is the spa!

So, while I don't recall the spa prices (sorry), and the list of amenities might not sound so amazing (heck, the robes don't fit us, and I'm too sensitive to scent to enjoy the linen spray, and as we're never in the pool/loungers, we never even used our beige towels), but the spa was a lot of fun, and I know that having a spa cabin steps away from all of this made the difference in how often we used the facilities. (I'm bringing an extra swimsuit next time just because we kept going back before mine would begin to dry.)

Just sharing my experience - you may be into different stuff, of course, but don't underestimate the loveliness of having a convenient spa cabin. (Plus, you get discounts on those spa treatments you're wondering about, so...) :)

Archived