Fish Shippers

hexdragon

I will be stopping in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. I have been thinking it would be nice to ship my dad some Salmon or halibut. Any suggestions on businesses in these ports?

I do not have any names handy, but just Google "Ketchikan fish processing". If you do a fishing charter, your captain will have a partnership with a fish processor who will clean, fillet, flash freeze and ship to any address you specify. Fish boxes are also supplied. They will even smoke them if you wish. So...if you go out on a charter, they will take care of all of this for you. Now, if you fish from shore, that is more problematic and time consuming doing all of the above without help, but possible.

Am I right in assuming that this is a pricey action? My husband is going on a Halibut Hunt and he is talking about shipping it home, just want him prepared if he decides to do this.

Oh yeah! Maybe $75-$80 or more. FedEx overnight is probably the only option getting your fish back to the lower 48, unless it is flash frozen and you include your fish box(s) as checked luggage on your flight home. That is assuming you are flying home from the port where you caught the fish...and that may not be the case if you are on a cruise. (You could probably do this from Seward, however.)

I have personally used The Cedars Lodge for processing/smoking/freezing/shipping and find it pretty reasonable. It was about $5/lb to be processed & frozen, $7.75/lb to be smoked.

That price includes cleaning, vac. packing, freezing and shipping for fresh and cleaning, smoking, vac. packing and shipping for the smoked.

The guys are very nice, knowledgeable, & efficient. They don't leave any waste on the fish when they're processing them. The place is spic & span. I've used them for the past 3 years and highly recommend them.

http://cedarslodge.com/alaska-fishing-packages.php

Rene

My wife and I bought salmon and halibut in Ketchikan and had it shipped back home. The fish is expensive and so is the shipping. After we got home we noticed that the local grocer had Copper River salmon at about half the price we paid in Alaska, we have also found that COSTCO carries Alaskan wild halibut frozen and portioned for about $17/lb. The salmon was good but had many pin bones still in it, the halibut was AWESOME! wish we had bought more of that and less of the salmon.

I would suggest that instead you get some smoked salmon. We prefer the clear vacuum packs that allow you to see the fish you are buying vs. the foil packs. You can put it in your luggage and save on the shipping, plus it is some of the best smoked salmon I've ever had. We got ours in Ketchikan in a small store near where they do the lumberjack show, it's inside a mall-like building. I remember Juneau had a large fish store past the Mt Roberts tramway going away from the main downtown shopping area.

Have a great trip.

I have personally used The Cedars Lodge for processing/smoking/freezing/shipping and find it pretty reasonable. It was about $5/lb to be processed & frozen, $7.75/lb to be smoked.

That price includes cleaning, vac. packing, freezing and shipping for fresh and cleaning, smoking, vac. packing and shipping for the smoked.

The guys are very nice, knowledgeable, & efficient. They don't leave any waste on the fish when they're processing them. The place is spic & span. I've used them for the past 3 years and highly recommend them.

http://cedarslodge.com/alaska-fishing-packages.php

Rene

Shipping prices are going up considerably. Fed Ex, the primary shipper out of Alaska for consumer fish, has now attached a 28% fuel surcharge. If oil keeps going up, expect an increase in fuel surcharge.

Archived