Carnival Dream, April 2nd, Western Caribbean - A Review with Pics from the UK

Nolsie

Great review! Really enjoying your perspective. :) Just out of curiosity, is there no equivalent to "Spring Break" in the UK, where college students go on a similar "holiday"? Or is "Spring Break" pretty much just an American phenomenom?

Hi - I don't think we have anything remotely like Spring Break here in the UK, certainly not that I am aware of anyway. I guess thats why me and my wife found it so intriguing, and certainly enjoyable to seeing everyone having such a good time.

Thank you all for your kind words. As many have said on CC, you are able to find out so much information here before you go on your cruise, so it's a pleasure to be able to give just a little back.

And it seems that everyone just wants the same thing from their holiday, to get away from the stresses and strains of everyday life, to relax and have a great time. This is certainly what we had hoped for, and exactly what we got.

Sure there were some things that we didn't particularly enjoy, some of the MDR food, some of the entertainment, but Carnival, or whichever cruise line you may choose, will neve be able to please all the people all of the time.

We just had a great time on the ship, and during our time in Orlando and Cocoa Beach too. We just love spending time in the US, having visited now on several occassions, it is such a fascinating, diverse country, with so much to see, just not enough time to see it.

We will be back, but maybe not for a couple of years now - I think we may see a bit more of the Mediterranean next year.

I hope you all have a great weekend, and if anyone happens to be setting sail over the next couple of days - Bon Voyage !!!

Well - after a number of cruises with teenage Spring Breakers - DH and myself have seen more than our fair share. We were on a cruise out of New Orleans where there were 612 graduating Seniors on board. Of course, we were unaware of this when we booked. I must say that we learned a lot - especially since we had a youngster at home (who is now 16).

From complete and total drunkedness, and believe me - we are no prudes and enjoy our fair share of being "overserved" - to yelling "man overboard", to seeing one teenager being punched out on the pier in Coz. by a 40 something year old who had frankly, had enough! - we know that OUR daughter will be allowed to go and do and experience and party and get crazy, if she likes; but only with us along as chaperones! (sp?) - unfortunately, now a days - things are way different than when I went on Spring Break (and I'm only 45, give or take) ;).

I am also in my middle 40s have 16 year old boy/girl twins. Last July my DD and I went on a girls only cruise to Cozumel and Grand Cayman with another mother/daughter. Our girls were up dancing at Fat Tuesdays at Cozumel with friends they met from the ship's teen club. The other mom and I were shocked to see that their 16 year old friends from the teen club were in fact, quite drunk. As their parents were there with them, we could only assume their parents were buying them drinks. Indeed, some of the parents we talked to also seemed a bit out of it. While we had spent the day at Paradise Beach and stopped at Fat Tuesdays on our way back to the ship, it seemed our kids' friends had spent the day there, drinking, so by the end of the day, everyone was quite drunk. The same thing happened at Margaritaville's in GC...we stopped in after being out at a shore excursion and the kids found some of their teen club friends with their parents, all quite drunk. We are not prudes and certainly enjoy a drink on vacation, but I would never think of getting my 16 year old child drunk!! I'll happily give the kids a sip of my drink or a glass of champagne at Christmas, but to buy them drink after drink...I just couldn't do it! To each their own...

Loving the review from a British perspective! We lived in Berkshire for 4 years and love the UK. I miss it dearly so it's so nice to hear the perspective of a Brit!!:) I'm curious as to whether you did the afternoon tea and what your thoughts were? There certainly was no devonshire cream for the scones!!!

Thats too bad bout Roatan, we were there the next day, Thursday, and the weather was perfect. I think we were there with the Glory and the NCL Spirit. We were on the Celebrity Eclipse. If you ever get a chance to go again.....

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1018.JPG

The photos seemed to post OK - I prefer the larger size pics myself, hope I am not killing anyone's internet connection with them ?

Back to the review. After checking in to the hotel, we were a little tired after the flight, so just decided to go and grab a bite to eat, and get an early night. The hotel itself does not have any lunch or evening meal offerings, so we asked at reception where me may go to have a meal, and they pointed us in the direction of a small plaza area, with a Chinese\Japanese restaurant, an Orlando Alehouse, and a Golden Corral, which was about a 5 minute walk. That was just about doable in the weather, so we opted for Chinese, and it was good, as was the Bud Light !!

We finished up and retired for the evening, as the weather forecast had good weather for the next day, Tuesday March 29th.

We were ready to hit the parks after a good nights sleep, and decided to buy a 3 park pass that gave us access to Universal Studios Resort, Universal Islands of Adventure and Wet and Wild Water Park.

For the Tuesday we hit Universal Studios Resort

DSCN0023.jpg

I have wanted to visit this place since I was a kid, and the reason ? Well even though there are many new and modern attractions, it was the Jaws ride that had grabbed my attention for many reasons.

We got to the park at around 9:30, and Jaws didn't open until 10, so we made our way round to the SImpsons ride, and it kicked things off well - even Michelle liked it, and she isn't too keen on the Simpsons.

But then it was time for the ride that I had waited many years for - Jaws.

DSCN0025.jpg

If you have been on it, you may have been underwhelmed, but for me, even though it was cheesy as hell, both Michelle and I loved it.

We spent the rest of the day strolling round, enjoying ourselves. They have a really good Blues Brothers tribute act which is worth watching as well.

That night we were again a bit tired from walking round the park, so we hit the Orlando Alehouse, and thoroughly enjoyed it in there. Good food at good prices, and deals on pitchers of beer - happy times !!

I was a VIP guide for several years at Universal and Jaws WAS and IS still my favorite!

I am also in my middle 40s have 16 year old boy/girl twins. Last July my DD and I went on a girls only cruise to Cozumel and Grand Cayman with another mother/daughter. Our girls were up dancing at Fat Tuesdays at Cozumel with friends they met from the ship's teen club. The other mom and I were shocked to see that their 16 year old friends from the teen club were in fact, quite drunk. As their parents were there with them, we could only assume their parents were buying them drinks. Indeed, some of the parents we talked to also seemed a bit out of it. While we had spent the day at Paradise Beach and stopped at Fat Tuesdays on our way back to the ship, it seemed our kids' friends had spent the day there, drinking, so by the end of the day, everyone was quite drunk. The same thing happened at Margaritaville's in GC...we stopped in after being out at a shore excursion and the kids found some of their teen club friends with their parents, all quite drunk. We are not prudes and certainly enjoy a drink on vacation, but I would never think of getting my 16 year old child drunk!! I'll happily give the kids a sip of my drink or a glass of champagne at Christmas, but to buy them drink after drink...I just couldn't do it! To each their own...

Loving the review from a British perspective! We lived in Berkshire for 4 years and love the UK. I miss it dearly so it's so nice to hear the perspective of a Brit!!:) I'm curious as to whether you did the afternoon tea and what your thoughts were? There certainly was no devonshire cream for the scones!!!

Interesting take on it, but as this is outside the Spring Break period, is this a little more unusual ? I think I agree about kids being bought drink after drink, and getting properly drunk, but if the parents are there, even buying the kids their drinks, at least they still have a measure of control and supervision ? I don't know, I guess it's up to the individual parents isn't it ? Some obviously have more liberal attitudes, and what works for one family won't necessarily work for another.

When I was going through my late teens, bearing in mind the legal age for drinking in the UK is 18, my friends and I used to sneak booze sometimes on a weekend - it was pretty much the norm and still is, it's kind of considered part of growing up. It's certainly not encouraged, but it's just what young adults do.

I just found the whole "Spring Break" thing interesting though, so thanks to the people who have so far commented - from both sides of the fence.

As for the afternoon tea, we did see it advertised, but never participated. Neither myself nor my wife are big cake fans, and usually by that time, we were pretty stuffed from what we ate at lunch. Still, it's nice to see Carnival keeping up what is quite an old tradition with this offering.

Wonderful review! Thanks so much for posting all the great pics as well! We are cruising the Dream in 35 days for our 20th anniversary. We will be staying at the Radisson pre cruise and spending a few days in Orlando after(just the opposite of your trip. Lol) we actually live in Jacksonville Fl which is just a few hours from Orlando so we have annual passes to Universal and frequent as often as possible. We LOVE jaws as well...in all it's cheesiness! Lol

Glad you had a great trip. Haven't quite figured out why everyone spends so much time complaining about a ship...guess it's just a matter of opinion. We try to just make the most of whatever situation. We will find a way to have a good time matter what.

I am so excited and can't wait to get onboard!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Wonderful review! Thanks so much for posting all the great pics as well! We are cruising the Dream in 35 days for our 20th anniversary. We will be staying at the Radisson pre cruise and spending a few days in Orlando after(just the opposite of your trip. Lol) we actually live in Jacksonville Fl which is just a few hours from Orlando so we have annual passes to Universal and frequent as often as possible. We LOVE jaws as well...in all it's cheesiness! Lol

Glad you had a great trip. Haven't quite figured out why everyone spends so much time complaining about a ship...guess it's just a matter of opinion. We try to just make the most of whatever situation. We will find a way to have a good time matter what.

I am so excited and can't wait to get onboard!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Congratulations on the 20th anniversary, what a great way to celebrate. I'm sure you will love the Dream, she has been my favourite Carnival ship so far.

I am a little envious of you living in Florida, my wife and I love it there - one day we would love to come and live in the US if only for a little while and somewhere in Florida would be our preferred choice I think. Certainly we would use it as a base to explore a little more of the country.

Thank you for your comments, and have a great time for your anniversary.

Thank you all for your kind words. As many have said on CC, you are able to find out so much information here before you go on your cruise, so it's a pleasure to be able to give just a little back.

And it seems that everyone just wants the same thing from their holiday, to get away from the stresses and strains of everyday life, to relax and have a great time. This is certainly what we had hoped for, and exactly what we got.

Sure there were some things that we didn't particularly enjoy, some of the MDR food, some of the entertainment, but Carnival, or whichever cruise line you may choose, will neve be able to please all the people all of the time.

We just had a great time on the ship, and during our time in Orlando and Cocoa Beach too. We just love spending time in the US, having visited now on several occassions, it is such a fascinating, diverse country, with so much to see, just not enough time to see it.

We will be back, but maybe not for a couple of years now - I think we may see a bit more of the Mediterranean next year.

I hope you all have a great weekend, and if anyone happens to be setting sail over the next couple of days - Bon Voyage !!!

What a fantastic review and the pics were great. I am booked on the Dream in November and looking forward to it. Reading your review and seeing the pictures was better than a travelogue. Do you happen to work in the travel industry? I have never been to the UK but long to and hope to get there next summer (2012). Are you available as a tour guide? Met some great people from the UK on my last cruise (they live in Hampshire). You are a great writer and, again, I thank you for taking the time to put it all down.

Don (Ocala Florida)

What a fantastic review and the pics were great. I am booked on the Dream in November and looking forward to it. Reading your review and seeing the pictures was better than a travelogue. Do you happen to work in the travel industry? I have never been to the UK but long to and hope to get there next summer (2012). Are you available as a tour guide? Met some great people from the UK on my last cruise (they live in Hampshire). You are a great writer and, again, I thank you for taking the time to put it all down.

Don (Ocala Florida)

Hi Don, thanks for your comments - it's much appreciated.

I don't work in the travel industry unfortunately, so not sure how much use I would be as a travel guide. However, please feel free to ask any questions you like with regards visiting the UK, I have travelled a little around the country, so may be able to help out with anything you may specifically want to see.

Have a great weekend.

Yes, I must say we are "Floridians" now...lol

We have lived here since 2001-- hubby was in the military and retired in 2008. I am a California girl and he is from Kansas City..but, we love Florida and decided to make it our home. Wouldn't dream of moving now. Perhaps when our kiddies go off to college? Lol

Did I mention in my last post how EXCITED I am to board the Dream????!!!!:D

We are booked on the spa deck(a first for us) so we are really looking forward to that as well.

Have a wonderful day and hopefully you will make it back to Florida again real soon.

C,mon the jaws ride sucks!

Ha ha, you could say that, but I still really enjoyed seeing it after so many years of waiting for it. Considering it is so old, I think it still looks pretty good, though the theatrics of the boat "captain" were what I thought were a bit on the cheesy side.

Great review... I am going on the Dream in July and can't wait.:D. I am on these boards daily reading and taking notes... I am glad you had a great time...I hope that I am able to poast a good review when it comes time..

Thanks,

Tammy

Archived