Must be one HUGE outlet!

squidward

QM2 will no longer be idling in Brooklyn. She's going to be plugged in for power! This is considered a victory for New Yorkers concerned about the environmental impact of giant ships idling in our ports.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/13/cruise-ships-in-brooklyn-to-plug-in-on-shore/

Thats crazy! The QM2 is only in Brooklyn 10 hours , never spends the night.

Docks in redhook , no more than 2xs month, and is on a world cruise from January till April...What about the huge Container ships in brooklyn?

What about all the cruise ships that dock on the west side?

Thats crazy!

Docks in redhook , no more than 2xs month, and is on a world cruise from January till April...What about the huge Container ships in brooklyn?

What about all the cruise ships that dock on the west side?

No, it's not crazy. Airplanes do it all the time now where electrical power is available rather than run their APU generators that make LOTS of noise and also pollute the air.

I suspect there is a huge demand on the QM2 generators to air condition the ENTIRE ship. I'm guessing the container ships don't require much in the way of power or AIR CONDITIONING.

In any matter, I'm going to guess that shore power pollutes less than the generators on the QM2.

Not that it matters 2 cents worth, but if you want to go nuclear, plug-in Shoreham on Long Island.

Can't - it been decommissioned, and and we're still paying for all the lawyers [$200 meg to build and decommission the plant, additional $900 meg in legal fireworks and loan interest]

Partial quote:

Thats crazy! The QM2 is only in Brooklyn 10 hours , never spends the night.

?

If I remember correctly, QM2 berthed over-night in Red Hook last fall (seeking shelter from the storm).

Both Cunard and Princess (CCL ships) reduced schedules from Red Hook. I'm wondering if the added cost in docking there, and the time needed to re-fit to accomodate the system has anything to do with the reduced schedule?

Please note that I don't question that new rules will benefit the enviornment, and I can understand why Brooklynites pushed for the changes. Although I am curious about what would happen in the event of a power failure, or power reduction (known locally as a blackout or brownout) while ships are docked in Red Hook. -S.

Partial quote:

If I remember correctly, QM2 berthed over-night in Red Hook last fall (seeking shelter from the storm).

Both Cunard and Princess (CCL ships) reduced schedules from Red Hook. I'm wondering if the added cost in docking there, and the time needed to re-fit to accomodate the system has anything to do with the reduced schedule?

Please note that I don't question that new rules will benefit the enviornment, and I can understand why Brooklynites pushed for the changes. Although I am curious about what would happen in the event of a power failure, or power reduction (known locally as a blackout or brownout) while ships are docked in Red Hook. -S.

The changes are being pushed by this new group of upper middle class who are moving to the old warehouses in Red hook.. Paying a min of $1million dollars for a condo .They are making gravel beaches along the shore next to the dock.Kayaks in the harbour On weekends in the summer it's become a beach scene... They pushed all the RATS out too

The changes are being pushed by this new group of upper middle class who are moving to the old warehouses in Red hook.. Paying a min of $1million dollars for a condo .They are making gravel beaches along the shore next to the dock.Kayaks in the harbour On weekends in the summer it's become a beach scene... They pushed all the RATS out too

The rats didn't leave, they are still working for the Manhattan law firms.

Turquoise, do you know Brooklyn well? Where do you find that information? Thanks -S.

This is considered a victory for New Yorkers concerned about the environmental impact of giant ships idling in our ports.

It's the equivalent of taking 5,000 cars off the road per year.

The Brooklyn-Queens Expressway carries that many vehicles every 45 minutes!

Some victory!

I'm guessing the container ships don't require much in the way of power or AIR CONDITIONING.

Maybe not, but a lot of them require plenty of power for other purposes. The big Maersk "E" class box boats, for example, have something like 700 reefer sockets and they will require masses of power if fully utilised.

J

That she did - I speak as one who was on board although, in all honesty, I think I would have preferred the storm :D

J

Maybe The Qm2 should spend more time in Manhattan then;)
Actually the QM2 can not dock in Manhattan anymore since the Brooklyn dock opened in 2006 unless there is another Cruise Ship docked at the Brooklyn dock which is only long enough for one ship.In 2006 there was a Princess Cruise Ship docked at the Brooklyn dock the same day that the QM2 was in the port, so the QM2 had to dock across the harbor in Bayonne,New Jersey.Too bad that Micky Arison probably can not break the lease with New York City and permanently dock the QM2 and the Princess Cruise Ships in Bayonne,New Jersey where the Bayonne dock is long enough for more than one ship.The Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruise Ships dock at Bayonne,New Jersey and the Bayonne or New Jersey officials are not forcing Royal Caribbean International who are owners of Royal Caribbean and Celebrity to retro-fit their Cruise Ships with large outlets to plug their Ships into the local power company.And I do admit to be a resident of the State of New Jersey. Regards,Jerry

Actually the QM2 can not dock in Manhattan anymore since the Brooklyn dock opened in 2006 unless there is another Cruise Ship docked at the Brooklyn dock which is only long enough for one ship.In 2006 there was a Princess Cruise Ship docked at the Brooklyn dock the same day that the QM2 was in the port, so the QM2 had to dock across the harbor in Bayonne,New Jersey.Too bad that Micky Arison probably can't break the lease with New York City and permanentally dock the QM2 and the Princess Cruise Ships in Bayonne,New Jersey where the Bayonne dock is long enough for more than one ship.The Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruise Ships dock at Bayonne,New Jersey and the Bayonne or New Jersey officials are not forcing forcing Royal Caribbean International who are owners of Royal Caribbean and Celebrity to retro-fit their Cruise Ships with large outlets to plug their Ships into the local power company.And I do admit to be a resident of the State of New Jersey. Regards,Jerry

It can dock in Manhattan , and it will on 17th May,1st July,6th July.

Actually the QM2 can not dock in Manhattan anymore since the Brooklyn dock opened in 2006 unless there is another Cruise Ship docked at the Brooklyn dock which is only long enough for one ship.In 2006 there was a Princess Cruise Ship docked at the Brooklyn dock the same day that the QM2 was in the port, so the QM2 had to dock across the harbor in Bayonne,New Jersey.Too bad that Micky Arison probably can not break the lease with New York City and permanentally dock the QM2 and the Princess Cruise Ships in Bayonne,New Jersey where the Bayonne dock is long enough for more than one ship.The Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruise Ships dock at Bayonne,New Jersey and the Bayonne or New Jersey officials are not forcing Royal Caribbean International who are owners of Royal Caribbean and Celebrity to retro-fit their Cruise Ships with large outlets to plug their Ships into the local power company.And I do admit to be a resident of the State of New Jersey. Regards,Jerry

Hi Jerry.. Bayonne seems far off from New york city to sail away.I know of many passengers feel Brooklyn is far from manhattan, but Bayonne is a real "schlep" The sail away from Brooklyn gives a great view of the Statue Of Liberty.too Brooklyn is a great port with a very long history.The Caronia ,was laid up in Brooklyn in the 1960s.

Yes I know that and I wrote in my last post that the QM2 is allowed to dock in Manhattan only when there is another Ship docked at the Brooklyn Cruise Port. Regards,Jerry

But No ships are docked in Red Hook on the 6th July this year but the Qm2 will still be in Manhattan thats all i'm saying.

Hi Jerry.. Bayonne seems far off from New york city to sail away.I know of many passengers feel Brooklyn is far from manhattan, but Bayonne is a real "schlep" The sail away from Brooklyn gives a great view of the Statue Of Liberty.too Brooklyn is a great port with a very long history.The Caronia ,was laid up in Brooklyn in the 1960s.
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the Caronia was docked at Pier 54 on Manhattan's West Side in the early 1970s.Anyway the Bayonne Cruise Port can easily be seen from the Staten Island Ferry when the Staten Island Ferry is sailing between Lower Manhattan and Staten Island.Also from the Staten Island Ferry you can see the Brooklyn Cruise Port.I am just saying that for the Cunard Line and Princess Cruise Line,Bayonne is a good alternative to Brooklyn. Regards,Jerry

Archived