Chacchoben Mayan Ruins Excursion

faynce

Hello,

I just book my first cruise and it includes Costa Maya. It was with Carnival. I'd like to visit Chacchoben ruins. Do I need to book in advance or can I book the day of the trip or on the cruise ship? Are there other, less expensive ways to do that excursion ($90 per person is a LOT) other than booking through the Carnival site?

Thank you very much. My wife and I are on a budget!

Erik

Hello,

I just book my first cruise and it includes Costa Maya. It was with Carnival. I'd like to visit Chacchoben ruins. Do I need to book in advance or can I book the day of the trip or on the cruise ship? Are there other, less expensive ways to do that excursion ($90 per person is a LOT) other than booking through the Carnival site?

Thank you very much. My wife and I are on a budget!

Erik

You could go to the ruins through a company called Native Choice. Their tour is currently $50 http://www.thenativechoice.com/chacchoben_ruins.php

We went on their tour last year and it was fabulous. The people on our ship who went through the cruise excursion were jealous of our experience. You'll find several threads here on the Native Choice, but here's one: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1334983

Hope this helps!

We also did the Native Choice tour- also known as "David & Ivan"- and loved it. They used nice, new clean buses, they talked about the Mayan culture on the way to the site, and even stopped for a minute at Pineapple Town. David jumped off the bus and got back on with enough pineapple for everyone- and chili powder- he says that's how they eat it there. The tour never seemed rushed, and he pointed out a lot of things I think we would have missed on the other tours. They are aware of when the ships leave and got us back to port in plenty of time. You should check it out- we would do it again.

This is interesting information. Which ruins can you suggest in Belize that I can crawl on?

Altun Ha is ok...it is 54 feet tall. Lamanai is my favourite as it is more remote, has Howler Monkeys and is 112 feet tall

• 1 month later...

We ended up going with CostaMaya-excursions located inside the cruise terminal. Price was $35 each for 4 plus $10 for the two under 10 years. Noticed after we left the gated cruise terminal area that there were yellow minivan taxis located across the street from Senior Frogs. So thees same type of taxis when we arrived at Chacchoban. The ruins were worth the visit but booking with the tour agency only got us a bus ride. Next time I will try the local taxi.

We ended up going with CostaMaya-excursions located inside the cruise terminal. Price was $35 each for 4 plus $10 for the two under 10 years. Noticed after we left the gated cruise terminal area that there were yellow minivan taxis located across the street from Senior Frogs. Saw these same type of taxis when we arrived at Chacchoban. The ruins were worth the visit but booking with the tour agency only got us a bus ride. Next time I will try the local taxi.

• 2 weeks later...
Couple of questions:

1- Was food or water included with the $50.00 rate?

2- Did if feel safe given all the crazy things happening in mexico?

Thank for your response!! J

just answered your other post

water was provided

felt completely safe-this area depends on tourism

Archived