noobie cruiser... 7 or 9 day cruise?

brianmu

Hi, the Mrs. and I am looking at taking a cruise this November. I have a cabin booked on a 9 day cruise (Royal Caribbean, Nov 11 - 20) I am wondering if I should change my booking to a 7 day cruise. Is 9 days too many? Our only cruise was a 5 day on Carnival (too much of a party atmosphere for us) and it was too short. However, afraid 9 may be too many for newer cruisers. Your thoughts?

Hi, the Mrs. and I am looking at taking a cruise this November. I have a cabin booked on a 9 day cruise (Royal Caribbean, Nov 11 - 20) I am wondering if I should change my booking to a 7 day cruise. Is 9 days too many? Our only cruise was a 5 day on Carnival (too much of a party atmosphere for us) and it was too short. However, afraid 9 may be too many for newer cruisers. Your thoughts?

Our first cruise was for four nights on the Big Red Boat (Disney) and a Disney vacation. Next cruise was four nights on Carnival (party atmosphere). Four days was too short. The next cruise was a 7 day Caribbean cruise. That was too short too. We then went on an 8 day cruise to Central America and at the end we said just one more day. Next we went on a 9 day Caribbean cruise and when we docked I was sad that my cruise vacation was ending, but, I was ready to get off of the ship. I suppose if it were a longer cruise with more sea days I would change my routine and start to do more activities because I usually veg out on a chair on the Lido with a book, with breaks for swimming and eating during the day, or I might stay in my stateroom more (and on the balcony) to have some more alone time, or find a lounge that has few people during the day. Yes I would have happily survived 10 days. Our vacations are usually followed by at least 5 days in warm weather near beaches and a pool. What do you like to do on land vacations and for how long? After my four day cruise I was ready for the 9 day. It was not available. On a cruise you are at a resort hotel that stops at places that allow you to do different activities not available at the "hotel".

<<< Our vacations are usually followed by at least 5 days in warm weather near beaches and a pool. What do you like to do on land vacations and for how long? >>>

Right after the cruise, it's back to the real world and work for us.

Land vacations... we usually visit my in-laws (out-laws? lol) for a week. We take a long weekend and go camping in the spring or fall. And once a year I take a long weekend, meet with a ski club and go snow skiing. That's the extent of our *usual* vacations. So a cruise is an extra special treat.

Nov. 11 is a Friday. You really should get there the day before unless you are a short drive away (I'd say 3 hours or less) -- which means you might have to take Thursday off from work as well as Friday. (Or maybe you get the Nov. 11 Veteran's Day holiday). If you have to take 1 or 2 extra vacation days, this might make a difference in your decision. But I say take the 9-day cruise if the time off from work is not an issue.

Looks like you are on the first Mariner of the Seas from Galveston, right? You'll enjoy the Mariner -- a Voyager class ship with an ice ring and Royal Promenade area. Pretty much anything you read about other Voyager class ships, such as the Voyager of the Seas, will apply the Mariner too.

What ship were you thinking about for the 7-day cruise?

Nov. 11 is a Friday. You really should get there the day before unless you are a short drive away (I'd say 3 hours or less) -- which means you might have to take Thursday off from work as well as Friday. (Or maybe you get the Nov. 11 Veteran's Day holiday). If you have to take 1 or 2 extra vacation days, this might make a difference in your decision. But I say take the 9-day cruise if the time off from work is not an issue.

Looks like you are on the first Mariner of the Seas from Galveston, right? You'll enjoy the Mariner -- a Voyager class ship with an ice ring and Royal Promenade area. Pretty much anything you read about other Voyager class ships, such as the Voyager of the Seas, will apply the Mariner too.

What ship were you thinking about for the 7-day cruise?

I do have Friday off work due to Veteran's Day. Since the cruise leaves Galvaston at 4:00PM I figure I will leave Dallas/Fort Worth at 6AM and arrive there at noon.

Since we must leave from Galvaston I was still going to go on RC and the only ships running from there right now is Carnival and RC's Mariner. Next year, Princess is relocating a ship to depart Galvaston. But right now it's Carnival or RC.

I do have Friday off work due to Veteran's Day. Since the cruise leaves Galvaston at 4:00PM I figure I will leave Dallas/Fort Worth at 6AM and arrive there at noon.

Since we must leave from Galvaston I was still going to go on RC and the only ships running from there right now is Carnival and RC's Mariner. Next year, Princess is relocating a ship to depart Galvaston. But right now it's Carnival or RC.

OK. You don't leave much time for car problems. Hopefully you won't have any. And if you leaving from north of Dallas, be sure to get away by 6:30am or you will start to get into Friday rush hour traffic. You might be more relaxed if you can get away on Thursday evening and drive to, oh, Centerville or Madissonville or even Huntsville, and then drive the rest of the way on Friday. Remember, if departure time is 4pm, then you need to be checking in by 2:30pm (90 minutes prior to departure). This is a firm time, required I think by some new USA law. Even if you arrive at noon, you still have to park and take a bus to the terminal -- that takes another 30 minutes or so.

If you search, you will find many posts saying "Do not drive down the day of the cruise." I always drive down the day before. Then I am rested for the first cruise day.

I like EZ Cruise for parking in Galveston. You can book in advance and save $5 (but then lose $5 if you cancel). I usually book EZ Cruise when I pay my final payment. They have a web site.

Hubby and I sailed on Voyager out of Galveston for 7 days in January. Loved it and wished we had booked a back to back and sailed for another 7 days! Spent a couple days after the cruise visititing Galveston and would probably do the Galveston visit pre-cruise next time. It is a fascinating island! So friendly! I am disappointed that Royal Caribbean does not do many longer cruises so will probably book with another cruise line for my next trip. Go for the longer cruise is my advice!

Archived