oslo question...

SJ27

Hi,

I see there are options for taking a cruise on the Oslo fjord. Our ship will only be in port 7am-2pm, so I am guessing one of the 50 minute cruises would be the only ones that really make sense if we are to try see anything else at all. Question: is this worth it? How much of the fjord do you really get to see? Or would it be suggested that we rather spend the hour in Oslo itself seeing one of the sights?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I see there are options for taking a cruise on the Oslo fjord. Our ship will only be in port 7am-2pm, so I am guessing one of the 50 minute cruises would be the only ones that really make sense if we are to try see anything else at all. Question: is this worth it? How much of the fjord do you really get to see? Or would it be suggested that we rather spend the hour in Oslo itself seeing one of the sights? Thanks in advance!

The Oslo fjord is called a "fjord", it is nice to see as you sail in and out . . . BUT . . . it is NOT a "real" fjord like you would see by sailing along those on the western coast of Norway near Bergen, Alesund, etc. Below you can see many pictures from our cruise last summer in that area and going up into two of the best fjords there with their dramatic views, sheer mountain sides, huge waterfalls, etc. I would not waste my time in Oslo by doing such a 50-minute cruise there. Oslo is great for its art (indoor/Munch and outdoor/Vigeland), options in and around the downtown, their City Hall, the main fortress in the heart of the town, etc. Below are some added visuals to give you a sample for some of these many options in Oslo.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 37,630 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Sailing out from Oslo with the red brick City Hall in the background. This gives an idea of how the mountains around the water in Oslo are at some distance back, not close like in the "real fjords".:

1A-Oslo-SailingOut.jpg

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a super, wonderful setting. Its admission is free and the views and art are "priceless".:

1A-Oslo-VigelandParkFount.jpg

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

At the Munch Museum, this is a sampling of this famed artist:

1A-Oslo-MunchArt.jpg

Nice Oslo park, water feature in the heart of the shopping area:

ParkKids.jpg

Oslo's National Theater in the heart of its downtown. Norway has had many famed authors and their statues are in front of this theater.:

1A-Oslo-Nat.jpg

Another vote to skip it. With a 2pm sail-out, you'll be able to see the entire length of the Oslofjord as you depart from Oslo without worrying about missing dinner. It really is a pretty sailing, but as Terry said, it's not at all like the iconic steep-walled fjords of the west coast. You're unlikely to see much more from a dedicated Oslofjord cruise than you will from the ship as you leave, so I'd plan instead to find a nice lounge on the ship and enjoy the views during your sail-out.

Thank you all! I definitely have to see Munch, one of my favourite artists. And I definitely have to see The Scream - am I correct that it is in the National Gallery and not the Munch Museum? (...I am assuming it hasn't been stolen again...:eek:)

Munch and the Viking ship museum are must-do's, and have heard already the very useful info re visiting Vigeland first!

Am I correct that all these are on the HOHO bus route? (I have already checked with the HOHO company that they have buses there when the ships arrive no matter how early :) - it is only the ones that leave from the City Hall that start at 10 if there are no ships - just fyi in case anyone got confused on that point from their website as I was)

Thank you all! I definitely have to see Munch, one of my favourite artists. And I definitely have to see The Scream - am I correct that it is in the National Gallery and not the Munch Museum? (...I am assuming it hasn't been stolen again.. Munch and the Viking ship museum are must-do's, and have heard already the very useful info re visiting Vigeland first! Am I correct that all these are on the HOHO bus route? (I have already checked with the HOHO company that they have buses there when the ships arrive no matter how early - it is only the ones that leave from the City Hall that start at 10 if there are no ships - just fyi in case anyone got confused on that point from their website as I was)

The Scream is at BOTH museums. See the visuals below. Love the Vigeland outdoor art.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 37,800 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Inside the National Gallery that is handy to visit in the main downtown, here is one of Munch's famed "Scream" pictures and other art.:

1A-Oslo-NatGalMunch.jpg

At the separate Munch Museum just a little distance away from central Oslo, here is the other Scream painting. There are many others at this museum by the famed artist.:

OsloScreamMunchMus.jpg

More visuals showing the wide range of art by Vigeland at the large park named for him in Oslo:

OslVigPdKids.jpg

OslVigPkIronGate.jpg

1A-Oslo-VigParkStat6.jpg

This picture shows the main, historic fortress next to where many cruise ships dock in Oslo. The fortress construction started around the late 1290’s. The very interesting Norwegian Resistance museum can be visited there. Norwegian Royalty have been buried in the Royal Mausoleum in the castle. A portion of this fortress was replicated at the Norway pavilion at Disney’s Epcot Center.:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

Another vote to skip it. With a 2pm sail-out, you'll be able to see the entire length of the Oslofjord as you depart from Oslo without worrying about missing dinner. It really is a pretty sailing, but as Terry said, it's not at all like the iconic steep-walled fjords of the west coast. You're unlikely to see much more from a dedicated Oslofjord cruise than you will from the ship as you leave, so I'd plan instead to find a nice lounge on the ship and enjoy the views during your sail-out.

I checked the 2011 Pier assignment link provided here on CC (thanks!) and see that Emerald Princess docks at

SØNDRE AKERSHUSKAI MIDTEN.

Google maps puts in on a pennisula that looks quite far south of the main area of Oslo. Is this so? I HAD booked the same Oslofjord tour mentioned here and am ready to cancel but first would like to know if I can easily walk (I'm fit and healthy) from this dock to:

Munch Museum

Vigeland park

National Theatre.

Vigeland park is free you said but what is the cost of Munch?

Many thanks for your help...we leave in 10 days (last minute booking) so I'm in a flurry.

Thank you all! I definitely have to see Munch, one of my favourite artists. And I definitely have to see The Scream - am I correct that it is in the National Gallery and not the Munch Museum? (...I am assuming it hasn't been stolen again...:eek:)

Munch and the Viking ship museum are must-do's, and have heard already the very useful info re visiting Vigeland first!

Am I correct that all these are on the HOHO bus route? (I have already checked with the HOHO company that they have buses there when the ships arrive no matter how early :) - it is only the ones that leave from the City Hall that start at 10 if there are no ships - just fyi in case anyone got confused on that point from their website as I was)

Terry is right that there is a version of The Scream in both the National Gallery and the Munch museum. The one most commonly reproduced (even on souvenirs at the Munch Museum gift shop) is the one in the National Gallery, which has slightly brighter colors. The one in the Munch Museum is a bit more subdued (but very similar). If you are a big Munch enthusiast, then the Munch Museum may be a good option. I usually recommend the National Gallery, since it's more central, free, and does have a room with about 20 of Munch's works from different stages. However, if you want a more in-depth look at his work, inspiration, and evolution as an artist, the Munch Museum is a good bet.

I don't know aout the HOHO bus, since their website isn't loading for me today (http://www.citysightseeing.no). If you don't opt for the HOHO, to get to he Munch Museum, take any subway line eastbound to Tøyen, and there are signs from the station to the museum.

I checked the 2011 Pier assignment link provided here on CC (thanks!) and see that Emerald Princess docks at

SØNDRE AKERSHUSKAI MIDTEN.

Google maps puts in on a pennisula that looks quite far south of the main area of Oslo. Is this so? I HAD booked the same Oslofjord tour mentioned here and am ready to cancel but first would like to know if I can easily walk (I'm fit and healthy) from this dock to:

Munch Museum

Vigeland park

National Theatre.

Vigeland park is free you said but what is the cost of Munch?

Many thanks for your help...we leave in 10 days (last minute booking) so I'm in a flurry.

The Akershus pier is the main cruise pier alongside the cruise terminal. It's the one seen in Terry's photo above (alongside the fortress). It's very close to downtown and an easy walk to National Theater.

Vigelands Park is in the northwest part of town, so it's about 30-45 minutes' walk from the city hall area near the pier. Most people opt to take the tram 12, which leaves from in front of the city hall and stops right outside the park.

The Munch Museum is on the east edge of town. I have never walked there, and wouldn't really recommend it, since the route passes through some of the less picturesque parts of town. Instead, take the subway to Tøyen as mentioned above. I believe museum admission is 95 NOK. Alternatively, if you just want a sampling of Munch's works, it's not far to walk to the free National Gallery (about 5 minutes from the city hall, or 10 minutes from the pier).

FYI - Since you said you're departing in 10 days, the Munch Museum website says the museum will be closed from April 26 to May 5, so depending on when you'll be in Oslo, it might be closed.

-meg

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see the Viking Ship Museum, The Fram and the Kon Tiki. I read that there was a bus that took you right in front of one of these museums. So is it better to take the Ferry or bus over? Also, once there how do I get from one to the other two museums in the shortest amount of time? My ship will dock at SØNDRE AKERSHUSKAI MIDTEN.

I would like to see the Viking Ship Museum, The Fram and the Kon Tiki. I read that there was a bus that took you right in front of one of these museums. So is it better to take the Ferry or bus over? Also, once there how do I get from one to the other two museums in the shortest amount of time? My ship will dock at SØNDRE AKERSHUSKAI MIDTEN.

If the weather is nice, it's a pleasant trip to head over on the ferry. The ferry leaves from right in front of the Rådhus (city hall), which is five minutes' walk from the Akershuskaia pier in front of the city hall. Take the ferry to the first stop, Dronningen. From there, walk straight down Huk Avenue to the Viking Ship museum (around 10 minutes). After the Viking Ships, head to the bus stop at the corner and catch the bus #30 towards Bygdøy and get down at the Bygdøynes stop to visit the Kon-Tiki and Fram Museums. The bus comes fairly often (every 10 minutes, I think), and the ride is only about three minutes. To get back downtown, just catch the ferry from the Bygdøynes ferry pier behind the Fram Museum. The whole circuit is actually very straightforward.

If you don't want to take the ferry, you can walk a few blocks past the city hall to National Theater, where you can catch the same bus #30 towards Bygdøy and just get down right at the Viking Ship museum. The bus ride is about 15 minutes. To return to the city center, you can either take the ferry from behind the Fram Museum or catch the #30 from there and ride back to town (it's a bit longer heading that direction, because the bus loops down to Huk Beach before heading back downtown).

Hope this answers your question!

-Meg

If the weather is nice, it's a pleasant trip to head over on the ferry. The ferry leaves from right in front of the Rådhus (city hall), which is five minutes' walk from the Akershuskaia pier in front of the city hall. Take the ferry to the first stop, Dronningen. From there, walk straight down Huk Avenue to the Viking Ship museum (around 10 minutes). After the Viking Ships, head to the bus stop at the corner and catch the bus #30 towards Bygdøy and get down at the Bygdøynes stop to visit the Kon-Tiki and Fram Museums. The bus comes fairly often (every 10 minutes, I think), and the ride is only about three minutes. To get back downtown, just catch the ferry from the Bygdøynes ferry pier behind the Fram Museum. The whole circuit is actually very straightforward.

If you don't want to take the ferry, you can walk a few blocks past the city hall to National Theater, where you can catch the same bus #30 towards Bygdøy and just get down right at the Viking Ship museum. The bus ride is about 15 minutes. To return to the city center, you can either take the ferry from behind the Fram Museum or catch the #30 from there and ride back to town (it's a bit longer heading that direction, because the bus loops down to Huk Beach before heading back downtown).

Hope this answers your question!

-Meg

Yes it does. Thank you Soooo much! I really appreciate it. :)

Archived