Is there a way to text and not cost a ton?

vizzle

I have AT&T, and it costs 50 cents to send per text message and nothing to receive texts on the ship. Not too bad IMO. I think most cell providers are similar. It does cost $2.49 a minute to call though. It's best to check it out with your provider.

If you have a BlackBerry, you can use BBM (Blackberry Messenger). It's a free service thru BlackBerry and is not affiliated with your wireless carrier at all. It is used by soldiers overseas quite often to keep in touch back home while they are deployed. If no BlackBerry, then you will be paying premium international rates on the cruise. It's actually cheaper to use your phone while in port rather than on the cruise ship itself in the majority of scenarios.

I, too, have ATT so we opted for text msging while on our cruise. I came home with a $6 bill (12 outgoing txts). You will need to check with Verizon for their international text msg costs.

What I did before we left was tell EVERYONE not to call me because if my phone was on, I would be charged for that call (even if it goes to vm) which is really expensive ~ up to $5/minute (if out on the ocean). So, I kept my phone on airplane mode and only turned it on to check/send txt msgs a few times/day.

If you have a smartphone: Remember to turn off data roam and keep it in airplane mode as much as possible to avoid phone calls.

If you have a BlackBerry, you can use BBM (Blackberry Messenger). It's a free service thru BlackBerry and is not affiliated with your wireless carrier at all. It is used by soldiers overseas quite often to keep in touch back home while they are deployed. If no BlackBerry, then you will be paying premium international rates on the cruise. It's actually cheaper to use your phone while in port rather than on the cruise ship itself in the majority of scenarios.

actually BBM uses data (internet usage) so that could turn out to be more expensive than texting

I checked with Verizon for my cruise in November, I think its 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive or vice versa. Best to call though to double check. Everyone has different plans. I just choose to shut my phone off. Believe it or not, you can survive!

Verizon also told me that if someone texts me while on the ship that they would get charged .25 per text. Of course I have only called Verizon twice so far...1 rep. said .25 to the texter at home...the other rep never mentioned the .25.....

but as usual...and we should all know this by now....it always takes 3...sometimes 4 calls to confirm things....especially with Verizon

Texts on a T-Mobile plan will cost $.35 incoming and outgoing and $4.99/minute to talk. The C/S rep advised either turning phone off or switching it into flight mode when cruising to prevent charges from any communications. However, if you are going to an island (depends where you are going) she advised that as long as you're over 100 feet away from the ship, you will be charged for normal usage. Hope this helps.

I have Verizon and was able to text with no additonal charges from St. Thomas and Puerto Rico. I would have incurred extra trying to text from ship. I also wouldhave incurred them for calls or data usage. So, I texted my friends and loved ones from 2 ports of call, and turned my phone on airplane mode the rest of the time. I was a good combo for me as I didn't really "need" to have my phone on vacation anyway, but did want to tell certain people things..

Call Verizon with your itinerary and see where your plan will cover you for texting..

I have Verizon and it is 50 cents to send one and .05 cents to receive one. I just paid my bill and that is what it had on it. You will receive a text message from them on the ship stating what the per minute call is and text messages.

When texting on a ship keep this in mind (found out the hard way). If you have one of the newer phones you need to take the battery out or you will still be charged for incoming text messages. Turning the phone off does not stop them from being received. I text a lot so do both my kids who also had their phones and when I got home my phone bill was 350.00 that is through Verizon.

No you can't. There is no signal function at all when in airplane mode..

Thanks, that's what I thought...So you're going to have to turn you phone on to text and hope you have no incoming calls while doing so??...I'm with T-mobile.

When texting on a ship keep this in mind (found out the hard way). If you have one of the newer phones you need to take the battery out or you will still be charged for incoming text messages. Turning the phone off does not stop them from being received. I text a lot so do both my kids who also had their phones and when I got home my phone bill was 350.00 that is through Verizon.

I have Verizon and I usually turn the phone off all week. I have never been charged for incoming texts or calls with the phone off. Should make no difference if the phone is off, or the battery is out, as long you don't turn on the phone until you're sure you're not using a) roaming in a foreign country or b) the ship's cell service.

I have sprint ,they offer a service for international travel that keeps picture mail and internet functions from going through . From the dates you provide them, and they offer reduced cost for text's , and somehow it blocked the ships tower (Didn't have service until I was in the ports tower range's (Mexican Riviera) I know that plan may be practical for some ,but it worked for me

Ouch!

I keep my phone turned off on ship and text "we're okay and we're in Barcelona" texts when in port. My family back home will text, "we're okay here, too. Have fun" and we're done.

Any critical issues I can find out at that time. Super critical issues they will call the ship.

I have Verizon and was able to text with no additonal charges from St. Thomas and Puerto Rico. I would have incurred extra trying to text from ship. I also wouldhave incurred them for calls or data usage. So, I texted my friends and loved ones from 2 ports of call, and turned my phone on airplane mode the rest of the time. I was a good combo for me as I didn't really "need" to have my phone on vacation anyway, but did want to tell certain people things..

Call Verizon with your itinerary and see where your plan will cover you for texting..

The texting there is free because St. Thomas and Puerto Rico are both US territories. When we were there last year, we were able to text and call for free with Verizon. All other places were not free.

The texting there is free because St. Thomas and Puerto Rico are both US territories. When we were there last year, we were able to text and call for free with Verizon. All other places were not free.

You might be on a more expansive plan than me. I was advised by Verizon that there'd be additional charges for calls, even from US territories. But I was good with it. I was on vacation with my kids so..no one I really needed to talk to that couldn't wait a week. And it was nice being unreachable for awhile :-) We were able to focus on fun completely.

Archived