For 11-year old: America's Cup, or Beach?

Breindel

Hi,

The America's Cup Regatta sounds great; however will a child get knocked around?

Please let me know if you've been on America's Cup, and/or would recommend a beach or other excursion idea.

Thanks!

Breindel

I was just looking at that excursion for my son who is also 11. However, when I read the information on it, it said the minimum age for this excursion is 12 years old. I don't know if this is only to take part in the sailing duties or to go on it in general. You might want to look into it further.

Jane

Purple Ribbon Cruise Critic in training

Team Aubergine

countdown.cgi?srgb=00ff00&dd=cd&trgb=ffffff&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2004;10;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500&ft=5&frgb=ffd700 until Mariner of the Seas 10/3/04

Radiance of the Seas 5/27/02

Carnival Fantasy 5/13/01

• 2 weeks later...

My 17 year old daughter and her friend did the morning sail and were back at the dock at 11:30. They said it was terriffic. They got to be grinders and take the wheel for a while. These are the actual boats that have been raced in the America's cup races. The crew are older 20 somethings who are training for future duty as crew in upcoming races. My son had done this with different Americas cup boats in Nassau several years ago.

We spent the afternoon eating and enjoying Orient Beach. We chose Koko's club for no particular reason. It was good.

If you have absolutely no experience sailing, and are a family with 2 teenage girls, would this be a good experience? I would hate to be completely useless! Everyone raves about this excursion, I just wonder if you should have some idea of how to sail - we have none - but I am interested in this

We think it would be great fun for all.

Regarding the age limit, on the day we went, there were two boys that couldn't have been over 8 years old.

Maybe booking through the ship carries some additional restrictions? We didn't.

My husband and I did this in March 2003 and had a BLAST. Neither if us had any prior sailing experience. We are doing this again in December with our 11 yr old daughter. I contacted them directly and they said a child under 12 can go, but that child and one adult will not "participate" in the crewing jobs. ENJOY!!

We just got back from St. Maarten and the America's Cup at the 8:30am time slot. Had to drag my girls to the boats (they are aged 16, & 13). They both loved it. The 13 did not want to get "involved" and essentially was there for the ride, the 16 year old was given an important job (I was a grinder). They claimed it was one of the highlights of their trip. Although we lost they (and I) loved the experience of being a working crew on a world class sailing vessel.

I think it probably would be fine for a 12 yr old. We did it last year and everyone loved it. We got tossed around a little and one of the ladies' got a little ill. (Luckily she didn't "feed the fish" until we were back on the "ferry".) An alternative you might consider would be the Golden Eagle Catamaran. We have done it about 10 times or so and love it every time. You go out on a catamaran and sail for about an hour and then you stop and swim/float/snorkel for about an hour and then sail back. Everyone of all ages loves this tour.

Archived