Price Drop Perks?

brainyblonde

Cruizer Bill,

They have changed their policy and no longer offer either price drops OR OBC. You can read these threads and ask on the boards.

I know because we booked Eclipse within the final payment/penalty period and the new price gaurantee is only 48 hours. Our fare went down by 50% within 3 days (72 hours). Celebrity would not do anything. We were in an AQ class and the next category were the Suites and our only option was to upgrade at a cost. HAL is way more accommodating.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1382023 (Celebrity board. Has a lot of info)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1398042&page=2&highlight=price+drops (RCCL board)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1396608 (Celebrity board)

Thanks for the heads up! I see Celebrity passed their new pricing policy in May 2010. My last cruise with them was in April 2010 and I had not kept up with their practices. Sorry to see this change! I have seen prices go both ways. In 2009 I paid for a New Zealand cruise and the prices went UP after I jumped on board. Now, I see them going the other way. It pays to watch the economy and plan accordingly!

Bill :)

Thanks for the heads up! I see Celebrity passed their new pricing policy in May 2010. My last cruise with them was in April 2010 and I had not kept up with their practices. Sorry to see this change! I have seen prices go both ways. In 2009 I paid for a New Zealand cruise and the prices went UP after I jumped on board. Now, I see them going the other way. It pays to watch the economy and plan accordingly!

Bill :)

Bill, It was just an fyi. I always thought they were crazy to give money back after final payment. There are many threads on the Celebrity boad going back from when the May 17, 2010 change took place. But, they have gone totally in the other direction where almost every price reduction specifies for New Bookings Only, or is a "Tuesday Special" and will not even entertain an upgrade in that case.

Thank you, Kabukijuul, for your post. I called the HAL supervisor and she all but agreed with me that a VH GTYto VF GTY upgrade was to placate me, no real value. She insisted I had to talk to my TA, that she could do nothing else. My TA finally called me and said their new "offer" was the infamous HAL coupon book "worth" $350. I feel like I am playing "Let's Make A Deal". I am standing my ground and told him to "make something happen" as the Agency is a premium service.

I plan to be tenacious, as we are 3 Star Mariners, and feel like we have been duped. Final payment or else, then drop the price $300 per person. No it is not "just like the airlines" which my TA claimed.

I will keep all posted!

Thank you brainyblonde for starting this thread...it was what caused me to call HAL yesterday to complain (yet again!)

My travel agent was useless in getting the OBC...I got the impression that they never really made a great case for me to HAL...they probably said something to the effect of: " I have this crazy demanding irate client..." I had to call HAL directly.

The only difference in our situations is that I am unable to be upgraded because we have connecting cabins and there are no other pairs avail in any category.

Good luck!

I agree that a good TA can make all the difference. Our TA has been awesome in getting us upgrades. And not only with HAL but also with our Disney trip last fall. My husband and I had booked a special Disney trip through her and when we arrived found we had been upgraded to concierge level at the Contemporary! That was awesome. She then convinced us to transfer our HAL bookings to her and so far we have had price reductions on one cruise totaling $1k and upgraded from MM to VH GTY on the other. One key thing I try to tell myself is any upgrades I get are bonus. Even if I am not upgraded I am going to have a fantastic cruise. If HAL gave out freebies all the time they would be losing money. And then they wouldn't be able to offer a quality product. And I would rather have a fantastic cruise where I paid a little bit more money than a cheap cruise lacking the quality experience because they have to cut back to make a profit.

Diane

Thank you to all who have inquired about the issue that started this thread. Because of your many questions, encouragement, etc, I will try to clarify my concern.

DH booked a last minute, super-duper special on a HAL Baltic cruise. One had to book immediately and pay immediately. Shortly after the "special" ended, perhaps the next day, I am not sure, HAL reduced its price PERMANENTLY by $300 per person. The integrity of HAL is compromised with such procedures. Advertise this great "promotion" knowing that they will reduce the price after they have reeled in a few unsuspecting cruisers.

I truly expected HAL to rectify our situation, and to my surprise it has been difficult. I am now on a 48 hour "hold" where my TA's manager is talking to HAL's manager. I will keep you posted.

For those who recognize my post, I am a positive, helpful person who has been a cheerleader for HAL. Thanks for the support!

Brainyblonde

Today, Friday is a new day! My TA called yesterday afternoon with a bona fide upgrade on our eminent cruise. It is a win-win for HAL and us, they fill a probably empty higher quality stateroom, and we are much happier campers.

I have come to the conclusion that HAL is like any large corporation with levels of staff, rules and regulations, gatekeepers. At each level I was received with curtesy and a listening attitude. I also have no idea what was going on behind the scenes with my calls. I do believe once my TA reached the level for which action was authorized, the issue was resolved.

Business is business, and HAL took the action necessary for customer satisfaction. As I told one of the HAL reps, I would not have been so tenacious if I did not believe there was a principle involved.

Again thank you all! I hope I bump into you during our summer of 28 glorious HAL days!

Brainyblonde

We made final payment this past week for our summer cruise, and it is DUE on Monday. I'll be watching to see what the fares do after that - no movement yet. After the final payment date for our December cruise, the price went down a noticeable amount. Our TA got us an OBC worth about 2/3 of the price drop. We were happy as we were in "prime" cabin, and would not have accepted an upgrade.

Yes, the world has turned into the Grand Bazaar!

The price of my cabin recently dropped $300pp. Granted, I booked my cruise only 4 weeks ago and have not yet had to submit final payment, but I called my TA and HAL agreed to subtract $600 off my final payment. :D

We made final payment this past week for our summer cruise, and it is DUE on Monday. I'll be watching to see what the fares do after that - no movement yet. After the final payment date for our December cruise, the price went down a noticeable amount. Our TA got us an OBC worth about 2/3 of the price drop. We were happy as we were in "prime" cabin, and would not have accepted an upgrade.

Yes, the world has turned into the Grand Bazaar!

Which cruise did you book? Has it gone down in price?

On our cruise, our TA got us only an upgrade. We would have probably gotten it anyway so in retrospect I am not happy. Unfortunately, we had to cancel the cruise for other reasons.

We're on a Baltics cruise on Eurodam 7/9. The price shown on line is exactly the same as when we booked almost a year ago. Final payment is due for all on Monday so I'll be watching. I'd love to have some OBC, but from this thread it sounds as if that is becoming less common. I'll find out how good this TA is, I guess. We have used her and her agency in the past, and it's one of our area's largest agencies.

All cabin categories are still showing available. I checked pricing both from home, where HAL's cookies know me, and at work where I'm anonymous to HAL - both prices are the same.

Please don't beat me up too much, but weren't we all aware of HALs pricing policies when we booked and paid for our cruises? I never like finding something I had purchased is now cheaper and I try to get some satisfaction from a merchant (whether a cruise, clothes, TV, etc.). Sometimes a merchant will match the lower price within a specified time period but some merchants will not. This does affect my plans on future spending - including cruises. Good thing I don't have access the the fares everyone paid on a flight or the price everyone is paying at the hotel where I'm staying; I am certain I would be frustrated because someone else was paying less. Try complaining to an airline when the price of your flight drops after you book a non-refundable ticket.

Even if I'm not happy with the resolution to finding a lower price, I tell myself that I must have been happy with the price in the first place or I would not have purchased the item/service.

One more thing - isn't this a good reason to book travel insurance for a cruise with the right to cancel for any reason? Couldn't we just invoke the insurance, cancel the cruise, and rebook at the lower rate if we find a lower rate?

<Snip> Couldn't we just invoke the insurance, cancel the cruise, and rebook at the lower rate if we find a lower rate?

Yes, at the risk of losing your cabin of choice, your dining preference/reservations and any shore excursions previously booked (which may have now sold out).

Please don't beat me up too much ...
No beating from me. Your points are valid and well-stated. I've thought the same thing many times. If there is a price reduction prior to final payment, I'll gladly ask for it. But once "for new bookings only" pricing is released I take no second thought. Ya' pays yer money, ya' takes yer chances.

Thank you for your viewpoints. I am totally satisfied with the outcome of my particular concern. It may have been the TA company (a well known premium service group) who made the upgrade financially possible, it may have been HAL. I am giving HAL the credit.

Each case is individual, what each agent tells their client is individual. Until the TA's have to read someone their "Miranda Rights" (just kidding), there will be room for interpretation when booking cruises.

Brainyblonde

Archived