Clamshell at GSC?

Pooh&OurHunny

If they cancel the stop for GSC due to weather and you reserved the Clamshell do you still get charged?

Do they run out of the clamshell? is it wise to book it the first day on the ship or wait to see the weather?

Thanks for any assitance or suggestions.:)

If they cancel the stop for GSC due to weather and you reserved the Clamshell do you still get charged?

Do they run out of the clamshell? is it wise to book it the first day on the ship or wait to see the weather?

Thanks for any assitance or suggestions.:)

you wont get charged if you dont make GSC...usually the charges for excursions are day by day so if you dont make GSC the charge wont even appear.

You won't be charged. If you are planning to visit GSC, make sure to book the clamshell the moment you get on. It will guarentee you a first tender and spot on the beach when the crazies are scouring the beach for a place to sit

Book the clamshell. It guarantees that you can go over on the first tender as it counts as an "excursion". Then move quickly to the clamshell area to get one as they fill up fast and many people who came over on later tenders were annoyed they couldn't see the water (due to the clamshells in front of them blocking their view).

You won't be charged. If you are planning to visit GSC, make sure to book the clamshell the moment you get on. It will guarentee you a first tender and spot on the beach when the crazies are scouring the beach for a place to sit

That's what I'm hoping for the first tender and to get a sit.

Thank you:)

Book the clamshell. It guarantees that you can go over on the first tender as it counts as an "excursion". Then move quickly to the clamshell area to get one as they fill up fast and many people who came over on later tenders were annoyed they couldn't see the water (due to the clamshells in front of them blocking their view).

Thank you, can you move them or do you have to stay in that row?

Thank you, can you move them or do you have to stay in that row?

When we were there, you really couldn't move them. It is wall to wall clamshells and lounge chairs --- there is no where to move them to....

Thank you:)

When you sign up, they give you a ticket?

What time is the first tender or will they tell me when I book it?

Yes, they give you a ticket. I'm not sure what time the first tender leaves. They will make announcements in the morning to let you know. They might give you an approximate time when you book it.

According to a recent review from the ships, the procedure for renting the clam shells and going on tenders has changed. I would inquire about this as soon as you get on the ship (and read the recent reviews of the Gem's sailing to the Bahamas).

According to a recent review from the ships, the procedure for renting the clam shells and going on tenders has changed. I would inquire about this as soon as you get on the ship (and read the recent reviews of the Gem's sailing to the Bahamas).

Recent Jewel cruisers from the same week that the Gem did not sell them on the ship report the Jewel procedure has not changed and you still purchase the clamshells at the shore excursion desk onboard not on GSC as the Gem is now doing.

I would still recommend trying to rent one as soon as possible once onboard.

Just got back from the Jewel yesterday. I rented a clamshell because I am very fair-skinned and fry like a lobster, I needed the shade.

It was pouring when we got to GSC, we decided to wait it out because we could see blue skies.

The only problem with our clamshell: it had a mesh panel. Did not protect our stuff from the downpour. However, they do have solid clamshells. We asked an employee to swap ours out (not all were being used yet) for a solid one. He did so happily. Of course right after he swapped it out it stopped raining :)

We are so glad we waited it out. Once it stopped raining it was absolutely gorgeous on the island. Buffet wasn't too bad, either.

Recent Jewel cruisers from the same week that the Gem did not sell them on the ship report the Jewel procedure has not changed and you still purchase the clamshells at the shore excursion desk onboard not on GSC as the Gem is now doing.

I would still recommend trying to rent one as soon as possible once onboard.

We got back from the Jewel two weeks ago. We filled out the form at the excursion desk for 2 clamshells and 2 all day hippo slides and dropped the form off the very afternoon on we got on the ship, before we even got okay to go into our rooms. We had the tickets at our room that evening.

They'll make an announcement that anyone with "Yellow Excursion Tickets" can head towards the tenders. The tickets for the Clamshells are yellow and say "Excursion Ticket" on them. So use these to get on the early tenders.

As for cancellations they will refund your money. They shutdown the Hippo slide because of wind within an hour or so of us getting to the GSC. My kids were able to get on the slide once and my DS was on line when they shut it down. So we got at least 1 free ride down the slide. It was great that NCL just took care of refunding the money without us having to hassle them.

Just got back from the Jewel yesterday. I rented a clamshell because I am very fair-skinned and fry like a lobster, I needed the shade.

It was pouring when we got to GSC, we decided to wait it out because we could see blue skies.

The only problem with our clamshell: it had a mesh panel. Did not protect our stuff from the downpour. However, they do have solid clamshells. We asked an employee to swap ours out (not all were being used yet) for a solid one. He did so happily. Of course right after he swapped it out it stopped raining :)

We are so glad we waited it out. Once it stopped raining it was absolutely gorgeous on the island. Buffet wasn't too bad, either.

THank you so much for the post, we are leaving in less than a week and really excited. How was the food at MDR? Did you eat at any specialty restaurants? How was the sea,was it rough or ok?

Thanks for any information

We got back from the Jewel two weeks ago. We filled out the form at the excursion desk for 2 clamshells and 2 all day hippo slides and dropped the form off the very afternoon on we got on the ship, before we even got okay to go into our rooms. We had the tickets at our room that evening.

They'll make an announcement that anyone with "Yellow Excursion Tickets" can head towards the tenders. The tickets for the Clamshells are yellow and say "Excursion Ticket" on them. So use these to get on the early tenders.

As for cancellations they will refund your money. They shutdown the Hippo slide because of wind within an hour or so of us getting to the GSC. My kids were able to get on the slide once and my DS was on line when they shut it down. So we got at least 1 free ride down the slide. It was great that NCL just took care of refunding the money without us having to hassle them.

Thank you so much for the information, I'm so glad you posted the details. So we don't have to wait that morning lining up...I just have to listen for an announcement when we can head to the Tenders.

Where you guys on the first tender?

THank you so much for the post, we are leaving in less than a week and really excited. How was the food at MDR? Did you eat at any specialty restaurants? How was the sea,was it rough or ok?

Thanks for any information

We ate at only one specialty restaurant (Tango's). People we had met on board loved it and wanted to go again, so we joined them. We really enjoyed the food there.

To be honest, we love good food, consider ourselves some-what "foodies". However, we really don't have any complaints about the food in Azura or Tsar's (the main dining rooms).

Service was lacking, but reading on here prepared me for that.

If you are on the Jewel, eat in Azura and ask for Greshen (from Nicaragua). She was the best server we had on the cruise.

Azura was a little loud, but not horrible.

The last day was the worst weather, heavy storms. The ship was quiet, I suspect many people were not feeling well.

Hubby and I do not get seasick easily (thank goodness!), we felt like we had the ship to ourselves the last day.

It rained a bit in Nassau, but it was warm, we just got wet walking around. It only lasted for about an hour.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! I am happy to answer any/all!

We ate at only one specialty restaurant (Tango's). People we had met on board loved it and wanted to go again, so we joined them. We really enjoyed the food there.

To be honest, we love good food, consider ourselves some-what "foodies". However, we really don't have any complaints about the food in Azura or Tsar's (the main dining rooms).

Service was lacking, but reading on here prepared me for that.

If you are on the Jewel, eat in Azura and ask for Greshen (from Nicaragua). She was the best server we had on the cruise.

Azura was a little loud, but not horrible.

The last day was the worst weather, heavy storms. The ship was quiet, I suspect many people were not feeling well.

Hubby and I do not get seasick easily (thank goodness!), we felt like we had the ship to ourselves the last day.

It rained a bit in Nassau, but it was warm, we just got wet walking around. It only lasted for about an hour.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! I am happy to answer any/all!

Thank you so much for your time posting, your answers help alot.

thanks again

Thank you so much for the information, I'm so glad you posted the details. So we don't have to wait that morning lining up...I just have to listen for an announcement when we can head to the Tenders.

Where you guys on the first tender?

We were on the second or third tender out. However we would have been the 1st one out if the ocean was calm. We were literally the next family to board when they shut down the access to the tender and set it off with only about 100 people on board (the larger tender can hold about 400 people). They repositioned the ship to cut down on the waves and we waited for the tender to return. They did send a few people that were infront of us down to the other smaller tender which I assume left before we boarded but I can't be sure.

Archived