has anyone

SLPloves2cruise

done a snorkeling excursion in Belize through Carnival? The listed duration says 3.5 hours, but I was wondering how much of that time is actually spent snorkeling. I've tried searching and didn't come up with much.

The Sergeant's Caye excursion says over 60 minutes, but the other options don't list the actual snorkeling time.

Thanks!

(I've checked the Ports of Call boards too, just hoping to find someone here who has had past experience!)

We did the Reef snorkel last fall. It was very good, but the water was very choppy due to a Hurricane coming. They picked us up from the Legend, took us out, and we were able to snorkel for about 90 minutes, then took us back. Rum punch was served once snorkeling started for those that came back early or never went in. (also sodas, water, etc.) Equipment was provided, but you could also buy snorkel tubes on the ship before you boarded the excursion boat (we did). We had a leisurely trip back from the reef, looking at mangroves, wildlife, etc. Still had time to go up, drop our stuff, get a snack, catch a tender to the port, wander around there a while (DH had a couple of Belkin Beers) and tender back. Very enjoyable day!

They picked us up from the Legend, took us out, and we were able to snorkel for about 90 minutes, then took us back. Rum punch was served once snorkeling started for those that came back early or never went in. (also sodas, water, etc.) Still had time to go up, drop our stuff, get a snack, catch a tender to the port, wander around there a while and tender back. Very enjoyable day!

Our experience was very similar... We were picked up at the ship, snorkeled around an island which probably took around 90 minutes, then relaxed on the island for a while. There was someone selling beautiful carved bowls. There was beer, rum punch, sodas and snacks were available. I think there was a charge for that, but can't remember for sure... And we also had time when we got back to the ship to change and catch a tender to the port and do a little shopping. I thought it was a great day too!

Thank you for the replies!! Is the tour you did called the Barrier Reef Snorkel with beach break? That is the one I was mostly considering. I'm glad to hear you both had a nice time. I really want to snorkel in Belize, but all of the options available through private tours seem a little leery to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the replies!! Is the tour you did called the Barrier Reef Snorkel with beach break?

I would love to know too. I noticed there are three snorkel excursions offered by carnival and I am wondering which one we should book. Thanks

Goff's Cay - a small spit of an isle, you go straight from the ship to the isle, they divide the group into 1st time snorkelers and the rest. Snorkel in shallow water around the isle, some decent coral, small fishes. Good beginners 1/2 day tour.

Barrier reef is for more advanced snorkelers, I don't recall seeing land when I was out there, water maybe 12 - 20' deep, can be choppy. When I did this one it was a 1/2 day tour, they didn't combine it with a beach stop.

Other snorkel tour, with manatees, I haven't tried.

Best snorkel tour I took was shark ray alley and hol chan gardens, along with a tour of San Pedro town on Ambergris Cay. That was awesome!

If you are up for a private tour with out "the cattle car crowd" feeling, look up the site for Coral Breeze Tours & check out their Caye Caulker snorkeling adventure with a local lunch on Caye Caulker & you will have the time of your life.

We go with these people twice a year & it is a super trip.

Do a search on this board for Coral Breeze info as well.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

Goff's Cay - a small spit of an isle, you go straight from the ship to the isle, they divide the group into 1st time snorkelers and the rest. Snorkel in shallow water around the isle, some decent coral, small fishes. Good beginners 1/2 day tour.

Barrier reef is for more advanced snorkelers, I don't recall seeing land when I was out there, water maybe 12 - 20' deep, can be choppy. When I did this one it was a 1/2 day tour, they didn't combine it with a beach stop.

Other snorkel tour, with manatees, I haven't tried.

Best snorkel tour I took was shark ray alley and hol chan gardens, along with a tour of San Pedro town on Ambergris Cay. That was awesome!

Evandbob,

Thanks for the information, we booked Goff's Caye for June off the Legend, and I am glad to know it is good for first timers. We'll have 2 experienced snorkelers and 2 first timers.

I would love to know too. I noticed there are three snorkel excursions offered by carnival and I am wondering which one we should book. Thanks

Me too! Which one is best for experienced snorkelers? Maybe I need to start a new thread:confused:

Archived