Big difference between Carnival and Royal Carribean?

bethtogo

I'm not going to slam one or the other but in my opinion RCI is pricing themselves way out of reach . I do the booking for our group and was checking into 2012 and the options for Carnival are a lot better than Royal when you compare what you get for the the price . I mean we look at 6 - 7 day cruises in the sept to Oct range , now RCI hasnt released all of their oct bookings yet but looking at what they charging this year , man , we are looking at a $300 to $400 pp difference for a balcony room for the same stops and comparibale ships , I wont book those floating ammusent parks ala Oasis or the Allure and we are leary of the Dream after some of the reviews of all the crowds . But still the Dream books at a Good price compared to those other 2 .

We took our first cruise last October on Serenade of the seas. It was a fine ship and a quality cruise experience. Our complaint regarding the food on that trip was the lack of Variety on the main dining room menu. The dishes were too "fancy". The DW prefers more simply prepared dishes without all the sauce and mushrooms, etc.

We ate all of our meals in the Windjammer.

We just booked Carnival Liberty for December. So, we are interested in what people have to say about the differences.:rolleyes:

Arrghh.

We've cruised RCI 4 times and Carnival 4 times so I think we have a large enough sample to offer a valid opinion.

First regarding the Liberty, we enjoyed the Comedy Club and the service was excellent. The quality of food however was very disappointing. Cold food in the buffet and MDR really was a disappointment. It was the first cruise in our 9 cruises where we both felt the food was sub-par.

Regarding RCI - we haven't been on an RCI cruise for about 4 years so perhaps things have changed a bit but we've always found the food excellent, better than Carnival's by far. We'll get to find out if this has changed later this year when we cruise on the Majesty.

My opinion:

Service is equally fine on both lines, rooms are equivalent, decor on RCI is easier on the eyes, no obtrusive 50 foot TVs on RCI, more to do on the bigger RCI ships vs the bigger Carnival ships, Carnival is cheaper, I like Carnival's itineraries better, food is better on RCI. All things being equal, if I was going to pick a cruise between RCI and Carnival it would be RCI

nope. you got it backwards. rccl just has a bunch of people sailing together.

carnival has a community feels that washes over the ship. it also has the better food, and a slide.

rccl has better pool areas.

Respectfully disagree on your points here. Food on RCI is noticeably better than Carnival - noticeably! We've done 3 Carnival cruises in the last 16 months and the food in a great many cases is below acceptable. Cold breakfast in the MDR and buffet, flat iron steak that is like shoe leather (so bad in fact that our waiter recommended I NOT order it on the Liberty), wet scrambled eggs and warm bread masquerading as toast in the buffet. As far as a community feel, not sure what you mean by that but we've met some great people on both lines.

I have not been on the Voyager class, and really don't have an urgency to go on one just because from what I've read, seen, talked to people about they really have a shopping mall feel.

Radiance class on the other hand is very nice.

Radiance class is by far our favorite line but trust me, you should try the Voyager class. Don't let others tell you it has a shopping mall feel, it doesn't. It really is something to see.

Radiance class is by far our favorite line but trust me, you should try the Voyager class. Don't let others tell you it has a shopping mall feel, it doesn't. It really is something to see.

I agree on the Voyager class ship we love it , would book that class anytime , but as for the Radiance , well to me no big deal , we didnt really like it actully just cancelled the Serenade and switched to the Victory.

I'm curious - what nickel and diming did you see on RCI that doesn't appear on Carnival?

Our last RCI cruise they have made it even easier for people with the Soda card they had a fountains in the WJ for you to get your own refill , my wife liked that vey much . And they include the cup when buy a soda package , not sure why Carnival insists on charging another $5 or so for the cup :confused::confused::confused: thats just one thing I noticed

I'm curious - what nickel and diming did you see on RCI that doesn't appear on Carnival?

I'm curious as well since a 2500 cruise ended up costing me 5000 after all the nickles and dimes were added up. :)

Between photos at $21 each, drinks, soda cards, excursions for 6 ports (x2 people) and gratuties/tips it really adds up fast. Oh, and we also got an upgrade from oceanview room to an oceanside suite for about $400 that I included in the nickle and diming total.

OUr first cruise was on Grandeur of the Seas (RCI), went so well that on the way home started planning our next cruise which turned out to be on the Carnival Legend. While both lines have their good and bad (if there can be any "bad" on cruising), we sort of prefer Royal only because we are in the senior category, but Carnival is really a fun ship and if you expect that, you won't be disappointed. Enjoy your next cruise.

I'm curious as well since a 2500 cruise ended up costing me 5000 after all the nickles and dimes were added up. :)

Between photos at $21 each, drinks, soda cards, excursions for 6 ports (x2 people) and gratuties/tips it really adds up fast. Oh, and we also got an upgrade from oceanview room to an oceanside suite for about $400 that I included in the nickle and diming total.

You would have to pay for all those things on either cruise line...:rolleyes:

My wife and were chatting last night and I agree with her It seems Royal doesnt really want new people they seem to suck up to there diamond and diamond plus people with their returning perks and balcony discounts and concierge lounge , and thats great if you can make it to 10 cruises and now its like way more than that for some of the perks.

Go on the Royal board and search this question and you will get a totally different outlook by a lot of people they for the most part think Carnival is WAY below RCI . :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You can get nickled and dimed on a trip to Myrtle Beach , I mean the room is x amount and then you rent chairs on the beach , food drinks , parasailing yada yada , of all those things you mention those are your choice , and you chose to upgrade yourself oceanview to a suite was a nice thing . I am not slamming you by any means but i chuckle when I see you took excursions in 6 ports in 11 cruises we have never paid the cruiseline for that we normally just catch a taxi to a beach to save money , but once again our choice.

You can get nickled and dimed on a trip to Myrtle Beach , I mean the room is x amount and then you rent chairs on the beach , food drinks , parasailing yada yada , of all those things you mention those are your choice , and you chose to upgrade yourself oceanview to a suite was a nice thing . I am not slamming you by any means but i chuckle when I see you took excursions in 6 ports in 11 cruises we have never paid the cruiseline for that we normally just catch a taxi to a beach to save money , but once again our choice.

I think everyone is missing the point that someone claimed RCL nickle and dimes them. I'm not complaining about my total price I was just pointing out what I paid extra in addition to my CARNIVAL cruise. LOL

Show me a cruise line or vacation that doesn't. :)

As for the excursions, we preferred the saftey net of the ship managing these as we had never been to some of those locations before. There actually was one port (St. Lucia if I recall correctly) on our cruise where they did have to hold the ship for a few tours that were running late for some reason. Our dinner mates were two of the people in that situation. If they had been on an independent boat or tour they would have been left on shore. I'd also like to note... I am not a beach person. Not everyone that goes on a cruise is. I go to the islands for the history, culture and the natural resources they have like waterfalls and rainforests but not the beach. I can swim anywhere.

If you'd like to see my photos from my excursions from Carnival Victory in February they're located at http://sherilyn70.shutterfly.com

I think everyone is missing the point that someone claimed RCL nickle and dimes them. I'm not complaining about my total price I was just pointing out what I paid extra in addition to my CARNIVAL cruise. LOL

As for the excursions, we preferred the saftey net of the ship managing these as we had never been to some of those locations before. There actually was one port (St. Lucia if I recall correctly) on our cruise where they did have to hold the ship for a few tours that were running late for some reason. Our dinner mates were two of the people in that situation. If they had been on an independent boat or tour they would have been left on shore. I'd also like to note... I am not a beach person. Not everyone that goes on a cruise is. I go to the islands for the history, culture and the natural resources they have like waterfalls and rainforests but not the beach. I can swim anywhere.

If you'd like to see my photos from my excursions from Carnival Victory in February they're located at http://sherilyn70.shutterfly.com

Thanks I will take a look at those , no i dont fault you for that , and we have done a few of those tours but after a while they kind of wear me out not that i dont like the beauty of the islands but too each is own I guess. :):)

Not sure if that is true that is why they tell you to take the fun times with you while at port. It has the port athority number to call in case of emergencies and such......so if they know you are on the way they would wait unless they were running really late......also there have been several reports of Carnival excursions running late.........yet none of the well known private excursions have ever been reported on here as being late enough for people to miss the ship. Something to think about.

Since I have been on most lines I can tell you without doubt Royal is the lowest class cruise line out there. So to answer your question go Carnival.;)

Oh, please. A main dining room where everything is neon and chrome, and the maitre d' wears a clown wig and giant sunglasses and shouts into a microphone is higher class?

Oh, please. A main dining room where everything is neon and chrome, and the maitre d' wears a clown wig and giant sunglasses and shouts into a microphone is higher class?

I think it was a joke :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Most cruise lines try to convince everyone to never book with outside companys , when in essence all they do is dump you on an outside vendor. Yes that is true and I have seen ships wait for excursions that are late that are cruise ship excursions mainly because there will be 40-50 people in those groups , but then saying that I have never seen a group of people miss the ship because they were on a tourfrom a private company but then those are ususally smaller groups . Those companys make there money on cruise passengers . They allow plenty of time to get you back we have never even cut it close always had a couple of hours to spare to shop or whatever . But we have known people that will NEVER book an outside company and I understand that , whatever floats your boat.

Thanks I will take a look at those , no i dont fault you for that , and we have done a few of those tours but after a while they kind of wear me out not that i dont like the beauty of the islands but too each is own I guess. :):)

Oh, I think we agreed about that. After 6 days of tours in just 7 days we were exhausted. By the time we hit St. Marteen we just couldn't enjoy it like we shoudl have. This time I made sure I picked out a less port intensive cruise for us.

Most cruise lines try to convince everyone to never book with outside companys , when in essence all they do is dump you on an outside vendor. Yes that is true and I have seen ships wait for excursions that are late that are cruise ship excursions mainly because there will be 40-50 people in those groups , but then saying that I have never seen a group of people miss the ship because they were on a tourfrom a private company but then those are ususally smaller groups . Those companys make there money on cruise passengers . They allow plenty of time to get you back we have never even cut it close always had a couple of hours to spare to shop or whatever . But we have known people that will NEVER book an outside company and I understand that , whatever floats your boat.

We did end up doing 2 independent tours impormptu while on the Victory. In St. Thomas our all day excursion to the British Isles (Baths at Gorda) was canceled so we walked into town and then picked up an independent tour while down there. THen when we were in St. Kitts I realized they had misadvertised the hours online and a tour ran longer than the online purchase had claimed. I had purchased 2 excursions for that day based on the times they gave us. Thankfully they let us refund the morning tickets at the port (St. Kitts) and since we had such a good experience with the independent tour in St. Thomas we decided to take a taxi out to the Brimstone Fortress. We had the place all to ourselves because we got there before the tours did. We also had a very knowledgable driver who gave us a personal tour of the place.

This time around I'm consider both. If there's something I know I want to do listed I'll go with the ships plans. If not we'll just go a little more freestyle and pick something to do when we get there.

Suites are bigger on RCCL and you get a nice concierge lounge with open bar. We did an owners suite on the Radiance last November and it was really nice compared to the Penthouse suites on Carnival.

Mixed bag on food. They were both good with RCCL having more choices during the day but Carnival seemed to have more late night choices.

Overall pool area layout goes to RCCL and the ships tend to have a more refined design when compared to Carnival. Every Carnival ship feels the same to me. Going on the Dream in June so I'll see if that stereotype holds up.

Post dinner activities goes to Carnival. RCCL is nice but has a quieter atmosphere. But maybe that's what you're looking for.

You can't lose with either.

Archived