Amsterdam Centraal @ disembarkation

jeffbook

We are on the 5/7 Connie TA to Amsterdam, disembarking on 5/22. Looking at Google maps, it seems that it is a relatively short distance from the dock to Amsterdamm Centraal where we are catching a Thalys train to Paris.

Does anyone have any recommendation for transit from the dock to Amsterdam Centraal other than a taxi? Are taxis the best way to go in this case?

Thanks in advance for any help.

We are on the 5/7 Connie TA to Amsterdam, disembarking on 5/22. Looking at Google maps, it seems that it is a relatively short distance from the dock to Amsterdamm Centraal where we are catching a Thalys train to Paris.

Does anyone have any recommendation for transit from the dock to Amsterdam Centraal other than a taxi? Are taxis the best way to go in this case?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, I think in this case I would just take a taxi, considering how busy public transportation gets in that area, too much of a hassle with luggage.

We, have taken the Thalys to Paris and loved it, I think all trains should travel at that speed and as the Dutch would say I hope you have a "goede reis" (have a good trip).

Astrid

Be prepared to either walk or take public transport. Tramnr. 25 leaves from the cruise-terminal, but isnot convenient if you have much luggage.

Most cabdrivers will refuse to take you for that shortride, since plenty of other cruisers might need them for longer drive, either into the city or to the airport.

Traffic is amzing in the area...be really careful of the bike paths! We walked with our bags to our hotel and it wsn't the easiest job. If you have any mobility problems or need to move fast, don't try the walk.

The port may look close on a map, but it's a trek. 15 min if you are moving with no traffic and light bags. Remember you are dealing with the tracks and brick walks too.

You might be able to arrange for one of the airport shuttles drop you off at the train station on the way. Send them an email and see what they will do for you.

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/ToFromSchiphol/SchipholTravelTaxi.htm

Of course you can send them an e-mail, but I am almost sure they arenot allowed to do this. That shuttle is for passengers to/from the airport.

Maybe the driver is willing to do it as a gesture, but it might depend on him.

Just thinking, you might be able to share a cab of another person or couple headed to a hotel for a post stay. See if they'll let you chip in some fare money and if their cabbie can swing by the train station. I think it would be worth a try before you start the walk.;)

If you can't get a cab at the Port to take you to Central Station, try walking down to the hote - Movenpick - and see if you can get one from there. They also have their own hotel shuttle that goes to the train station. While its for hotel guests, maybe for a tip they'd take you.

I haven't been to the cruise port in Amsterdam, but the tram/public transit system is phenomenal there, and the people were incredibly nice. I'd suggest checking with someone local and trying to take the tram, which will drop you directly in front of Amsterdam Central station- it was really inexpensive, and it's only one step up from the street into the tram, which runs at street level. With only two people, I wouldn't hesitate to use the tram!

The tram in Amsterdam is, indeed, a fabulous means of transportation! However, it is difficult with suitcases. The trams tops just opposite the port - but it is a slight up-hill walk. It is only one step onto the tram but could be a problem if you're pulling two suitcases. It's all up to the individuals traveling!

Last year, after a Baltic Cruise, we took a taxi to our hotel. As we left the port there was a long string of people walking towards the station, all pulling one/two suitcases. We made the decision to cab it since we knew, because of age, we'd have trouble with our suitcases if we took the tram or walked.

So, in the end, read all about your options, study the maps and read CC and then make the BEST decision for yourselves!

Archived