Drive from Anchorage to Whittier??

GrandmaJan7

Is it feasable that we could fly into Anchorage, rent a car at the airport, enjoy Anchorage for a day, stay at a nice hotel, then drive to Whittier the next day at our leasure, return the car to Avis and board the ship?

We planned on using Princess transfers however it seem expensive for the transfers and hotel and I feel we would be on "Princess Time" not our time. As it is we don't have much time to explore Anchorage and if we are at the mercy of Princess for transportation we won't be able to do much.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!!

Janice

Yes, this is an excellent idea. I would also look at some touring outside of Anchorage- depending on your time. With a car rental,- I would encourage you to make good use of your time. But if you had any interest in the wonderful Prince William Sound boat tours- they are a top choice, and would also work with the Alaska RR transit to Whittier. This would allow you a cheaper round trip Anchorage rental car. So I suggest you find out and plan what you wish to occupy your time with.

We stayed 2 nites in Anchorage pre-cruise. Most of what we wanted to see was within easy walking distance of the downtown hotels. Then we did a 6 hour Prince William Sound boat tour that included transportation from Anchorage to Whittier and the 6 hour tour. It was one of many highlights on our trip. There is nothing like being so much closer to the water (i.e. for wildlife) and to the glaciers on a smaller boat. The shuttle picked us up at the hotel about 8 am, the boat cruised from 11-5 and then we got on the ship with absolutely no one in the terminal and had plenty of time for dinner before sailaway.

Archived