RCL Radiance or Celebrity Millenium with kids which ship?

weston gal

After EXTENSIVE RESEARCH I narrowed it down to choosing one these two northbound cruises for our family 50th anniversary celebration for June 2012. Since we are planning mid-June will there be less kids? Our granchildren will be girls 7 & 9 and boys 11 & 13. I know they both have childrens programs during the summer, but if for some reason they don't go to the kids club, which ship would be better? I've read some reviews and I'm still not sure.

There will be some kids, IF kids are your priority, then you are picking the wrong itinerary. :) Do not expect numbers like the Caribbean.

I would instead, suggest you get those kids involved in the planning and what you are going to do in ports. Are both these itineraries the same??? You might want to compare those, if they are not, by determining WHAT your are going to do with the port times.

Are you adding time for interior Alaska travel?? At least spending the day in Seward? Plenty to also see and do, and it's vitally important to have good planning. :)

Otherwise, kids will be on both ships, are the prices different?? Dates would be, either have an edge to you??

Thanks Budget Queen for the reply, We chose these two ships with the priority being the itenerary, schedule and logistics involved in getting everyone from Florida to Alaska . We want to be attentive to the kids also because if they are not having a good time, then maybe the parent cannot have a good time. We plan to fly to Seattle, stay overnight, take the shuttle to Vancouver the next morning and board the ship. We would like to stay at least the last day in Seward, maybe take the ships excursion before heading to the airport for a late flight, but that will be determined when we book our flights. Time misssed from work and money may be a factor here. We all live in different cities in Florida, so that is a little complicated. We already are involving the boys 11 & 13 with plans. I'm more concerned about the girls 7 & 9.

Thanks Budget Queen for the reply, We chose these two ships with the priority being the itenerary, schedule and logistics involved in getting everyone from Florida to Alaska . We want to be attentive to the kids also because if they are not having a good time, then maybe the parent cannot have a good time. We plan to fly to Seattle, stay overnight, take the shuttle to Vancouver the next morning and board the ship. We would like to stay at least the last day in Seward, maybe take the ships excursion before heading to the airport for a late flight, but that will be determined when we book our flights. Time misssed from work and money may be a factor here. We all live in different cities in Florida, so that is a little complicated. We already are involving the boys 11 & 13 with plans. I'm more concerned about the girls 7 & 9.

You don't mention the size of the group, but also look at car rentals for Seattle/Vancouver and Amtrak Seattle/Vancouver.

There aren't going to be any "ship tours" in Seward that are going to have a transfer included for an overnight flight, arriving late in Anchorage, with the day in Seward. This will be an independent booking by you. I suggest you look at a 1am flight, then just take the Alaska RR Seward to Anchorage. Then cab to the airport. This gives you the most time in Seward.

Hi Weston Gal. Since you're looking for opinions, here's my two cents, from one Floridian to another. We are taking the Radiance to Alaska this June for a few reasons. We like the itinerary with the long stops in each port, we like the ship, (we were on her sister ship the Jewel previously) but most of all, the Royal Caribbean kid's program is my son's favorite.

I honestly think most of the cruise lines now have pretty good programs for the kids, but between Celebrity and RCI, I think RCI emphasizes it more. I'll be happy to report back after our cruise.

Also, most of the schools in Florida finish for the year around the second week of June. Let me suggest that you plan the cruise for after they are done. Last year, in middle school, my son had tests on the very last day of school. So much for the days of end-of-year parties during those last few days.

I think whatever you choose, you'll have a wonderful time just being together. Starting the planning process now will ensure everyone's interests and priorities are considered. Remember BQ's advice that not everyone has to do everything together. Happy Anniversary!

Hi Weston Gal. Since you're looking for opinions, here's my two cents, from one Floridian to another. We are taking the Radiance to Alaska this June for a few reasons. We like the itinerary with the long stops in each port, we like the ship, (we were on her sister ship the Jewel previously) but most of all, the Royal Caribbean kid's program is my son's favorite.

I honestly think most of the cruise lines now have pretty good programs for the kids, but between Celebrity and RCI, I think RCI emphasizes it more. I'll be happy to report back after our cruise.

Also, most of the schools in Florida finish for the year around the second week of June. Let me suggest that you plan the cruise for after they are done. Last year, in middle school, my son had tests on the very last day of school. So much for the days of end-of-year parties during those last few days.

I think whatever you choose, you'll have a wonderful time just being together. Starting the planning process now will ensure everyone's interests and priorities are considered. Remember BQ's advice that not everyone has to do everything together. Happy Anniversary!

JAKcruiser thanks for your input. I am planning our trip for either June 15, or June 22, 2012 depending on which ship we take. I've checked out the school calendars for next year. My daughter is a teacher and I've cleared the dates with her too. Your thoughts on the childrens program is just what the RCL rep told me, that they have a more dedicated childrens program. Thank you for confirming that. I will be very interested to hear how your cruise turned out. do I do know that everybody doesn't have to do everything together. They do have different interests and priorities, so I expect that. I just hope we can all find a good balance and enjoy some special times together.

Archived