Dumb question....but.....Digital Cameras

natish3000

Not that I know of.

I've read about people being concerned about going thru the metal detector with a cell phone or digital camera. But mine always is in my carry-on, except the one time I forgot my cell phone on my belt. No harm done though.

Caribbean Princess - 4/17/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;4;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I am fairly sure that they will not hurt anything in the camera. I usually just carry mine through, putting it with my keys just to be safe icon_smile.gif. BTW, there really are no dumb questions if you don't know icon_wink.gif.

Statendam-Alaska '97, Veendam-NE/Canada '98, RCCL-Bermuda, '99, Am. Queen, 2000, NCL Sky-Caribbean '03, NCL Dawn - Bahamas '03

NCL Sun Panama Canal

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;4;16;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

The basic dangers:

Digital cameras are, themselves, unaffected. However, the media (cards) can be affected by magnetometers. Do not carry spare photo cards (or any floppies, memory sticks, etc.) in your pocket as you walk through the metal detector. There's a very slight chance the magnets can damage or erase the material recorded on them. Conversely, baggage xrays will do no damage at all to electronic (digital) media.

Regular film for regular "analog" cameras the opposite is true. Xrays can fog the film but the magnetometers will cause no damage (except that the metal casing will set off the metal detector...so you'll have to have your film xrayed.

Film of 400 ASA or lower won't be affected unless the xray is set incredibly high (not very likely). Film of 800 ASA could be affected in some cases (like Hong Kong) where the settings are stronger than here in the USA. Anything 1000 and higher should be packed in lead bags in your checked luggage.

Walt Tuthill

Cruise Board Moderator

Contact at Shiptender@aol.com

Thanks for the answers. I kind of figured the actual X Rays wouldnt do anything as there is nothing but digital info on the cards.

I wasn't sure what kind of magnetic devices they may use, however.

Thanks again for the help!

Thanks for the answers. I kind of figured the actual X Rays wouldnt do anything as there is nothing but digital info on the cards.

I wasn't sure what kind of magnetic devices they may use, however.

Thanks again for the help!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;10;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500Majesty of the Seas 4 night

Archived