Funny Cruise Ship Horn Battles...anyone experience them?

abisha

A few years ago in St. Martin we were on a Princess ship, sharing a pier with a Carnival and a Royal Caribbean ships. As we were departing (first) and clearing the "obstruction" - as the Captain called the RC ship - a horn duel broke out among the 3 ships. Everybody was waving and cheering. Great fun.

We had one with a HAL ship in Grand Turk. Their horn sounded like an old man breaking wind.

Oh man--that is hilarious!:D

Happened to us in Venice in 2009. Carnival Dream against Regent and Crystal and Costa.

Was funny and everyone was on deck and waving to each other.

There were seven ships in port and 4 in our docking area including us. Three others (Seabourn, Royal C, and another had to dock in other areas.

I came across some cruise ship horn battles on You Tube and got such a kick out of them...very funny! All of the people up on the decks and on their balconies laugh and cheer them on as well...all the more fun. Has anyone experienced these? I was wondering if this happens quite often. It appears to be a "fun comeradery" between the officers on the bridges of each of the ships (a "my horn is louder than your horn" game). Or is it just a once in awhile thing? Of course, it seems no one can beat DCL's horn... to the tune of "When You Wish Upon a Star" and "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"...very clever! I hope I get to experience it when I'm on the Destiny, so I took a peek at the port schedules on the dates I sail to see what other ships were at the same ports as Destiny. Maybe the Destiny will start one..or reciprocate.

agree about the disney horn.

we experienced a battle between the holiday and the jubilee in ensenada. i was filming at the time, and did not realize i was under our horn. that jolt of emotions was captured quite succinctly.

I would love to have that ring tone!! Where did you get it? Would you mind sharing? :)

I have an android phone. I did a market search on "Ship's horn" and found an app called "Horns and sirens". It's free and has several examples of just that: horns and sirens. The cruise ship horn is good and it along with all of the other examples can be saved as ring tones. Hope this helps.

On my westbound transatlantic on the Jewel of the Seas, we had to skip our port in Newfoundland due to rerouting to avoid a nasty Arctic storm.

As a result, we got to our port stop in Nova Scotia at about 4 PM on Wednesday instead of early Thursday morning. We couldn't dock because one of those "dam" ships :) was still docked. So we waited patiently out in the harbor, and as she sailed past us, the captains got into a little bit of tooting back and forth. We were out on our balcony, on the port side, so we got to wave at the folks on the HAL ship.

Archived