Sydney Mid-May

We are arriving in Sydney on the Caribbean Princess for a short port stop the afternoon of May 19th. We are looking at three options:

1. The Louisbourgh Fort: But we have found out that the Fort is not totally open that early -- Is it still worth a visit?

2. As an option the tour to the Bell Museum.

3. Lastly, staying in town and visiting the historic houses and churches.

What do you local folks recommend?

I would recommend going to Baddeck and touring the Bell museum. Rent a car and enjoy a beautiful drive. You should have time to drive down to Iona and go back to Sydney another way. If you search for previous posts, you will find more details.

Doing research, it doesn't appear that much is open in May.

Louisbourg = June

Keltic Lodge = June

Cape Briton National Park = June

Highland Village at Bras D'or Lakes = June

So for 11 May, I have this tour booked through the cruise line .....

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=1265&portCode=YQY&destCode=N&requestSource=shoreExcursions

The tour description clearly states "not in May"....but I called HAL and they reassured me that this tour will go.

I don't get all this. As if the cruiseline is unaware that many attractions are not open in May.

I would trust the website for Fortress Louisbourg. I very much doubt they will have animators hired just for a cruise, and the experience is greatly diminished without them and without the restaurants open.

It is a lovely drive to Baddeck and on to Iona and back on another route.

I would trust the website for Fortress Louisbourg. I very much doubt they will have animators hired just for a cruise, and the experience is greatly diminished without them and without the restaurants open.

It is a lovely drive to Baddeck and on to Iona and back on another route.

Thanks for the feedback..

Apparently what will happen is that we can see the fortress without reenactors.

Life isn't perfect I suppose. It is unfortunate that attractions are limited for May, but I understand.

The website list something about open by prior arrangement....so I suppose this qualifies as a prior arrangement ? I would say so.

Thanks to this discussion, I now realize that we will probably only get a limited Louisbourg experience. We arrive on the Crown Princess on October 17th & it appears that is all we will get if we keep the tour.

The Fortress of Louisbourg is open and fully animated from June 1st to October 15th, and has reduced services May 15th to 31st and October 16th to 31st.

I'll call Princess tomorrow to get their input although might not get totally accurate info from them. :p

Any input, pro or con, that anyone has to share would be greatly appreciated to help us decide whether to keep this tour or to go for plan B? :confused:

Thanks to this discussion, I now realize that we will probably only get a limited Louisbourg experience. We arrive on the Crown Princess on October 17th & it appears that is all we will get if we keep the tour.

The Fortress of Louisbourg is open and fully animated from June 1st to October 15th, and has reduced services May 15th to 31st and October 16th to 31st.

I'll call Princess tomorrow to get their input although might not get totally accurate info from them. :p

Any input, pro or con, that anyone has to share would be greatly appreciated to help us decide whether to keep this tour or to go for plan B? :confused:

Oh I would keep your tour unless told otherwise. You should be just fine according to the Louisbourg web-site...sounds like full service in October...even late Oct.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/visit/visit3.aspx

I had booked the Forge & Military tour awhile back and yesterday received an e-mail telling me that it was cancelled, but I was able to book another Louisbourg tour. The difference seems to be....the reenactors. I'm the one out of luck, not you.

It sounds as if you will see much more on Oct 17, than I will on May 11.

If you do call Princess, I hope they can tell you more than HAL could tell me. The poor people answering the phone appeared out of the loop.

The info I got was from the the Fortress Louisbourg Association's website (http://www.fortressoflouisbourg.ca/) who operates concessions such as restaurants & shops. So if that's their definition of limited services October 16th-31st that's not a problem for me.

Princess said that like their other shore excursion tours sometimes providers will open for them only. They gave the example of Victoria's Butchart Gardens being closed to the public during their 1900-2400 port calls but are open for their tours only. The agent contacted their shore excursion department but they couldn't guarantee that it would be fully animated (whatever that means) but we will keep our tour.

So guess that's a definite maybe??? :p

Based on your input and a little more research, we have opted to skip the Louisbourgh Fortress on this early May cruise. It would appear to be much like visiting Williamsburg, Virginia without being able to interact with those who portray the settlers of the times.

The ship's tour to Baddeck and the Bell Museum strikes us as giving the best sample of the area for the short afternoon port call.

Thanks,

P&J

Roses2, I think you have made a good decision. You will have to come back here sometime on your own. Nova Scotia has so much to offer visitors. For just Cape Breton you have the Cabot Trail with its amazing scenery, walks and hikes, whale watching, and music. You cannot do this on a cruise stop. Louisbourg when fully open takes most of a day. Then you have Baddeck and the Alexander Graham Bell Museum and great shops and restaurants in a scenic setting, Iona and the Highland Village, the Glace Bay Miners Museum, and so much more.

Mainland Nova Scotia is a whole other story, even larger and with more to see and do.

It sounds like it would be far better to see Louisbourg off season...than never at all.

That's my option, if i skip Louisbourg on May 11, then chances are I'll never see it at all.

I've visited Williamsburg Virgina and was not been on the tour and it was still worth seeing.

The Louisbourg offical website states.....

Nov to 14 May = "Entry through Gate 2.

Guides and services by pre-arrangement, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., except on statutory holidays. "

My ship's tour is a "pre-arrangement" and on a Wednesday between 8-4.

I expect a great tour !

• 3 weeks later...

OK...I'm back from my cruise and did the tour.

The fortress does indeed open off season for tour groups..."special arrangement".

We had re-enacters who were in character. The only downer was the weather...rainy & cold.

Thanks so much for posting this, Thoth. Louisbourg can be cold and foggy even in summer as it is so exposed on the Atlantic coast.

people in the 18'th century had to be a hardy lot. Life was tough it seems.

In the original Louisboug, I guess that they had to be well prepared for winter. There was no going to the grocery store if one ran out of food. I ask about diet in the winter, and was told that the main source of vitamin C was juniper berries. Not a very tasty tea, but would prevent the scurvy.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there transportation or tours to this attraction that could be pre-arranged or do you have to rent a car? Would this be interesting to two 16 year olds? Sounds like it is a beautiful area and would like to see it-Going on the July 19th cruise. Thanks!:confused:

Is there transportation or tours to this attraction that could be pre-arranged or do you have to rent a car? Would this be interesting to two 16 year olds? Sounds like it is a beautiful area and would like to see it-Going on the July 19th cruise. Thanks!:confused:

Plenty of ship tours. My tour to Louisbourg was through Holland America.

If a 16 year old is interested in history, then they should he/she should enjoy Louisbourg. It is a living history program inside a fort so what could more "cool" than that ?

July 19....everything should be running and the weather is certain to be better than when I was there ...early May.

Archived