Another cave tubing tour

mitsugirly

I've been trying to decide on which cave tubing tour to book and have read a lot of wonderful reviews with different booking choices. But, I was wondering if anyone has ever used cavetubing r us? Any good or bad experiences with them? Looking at their website-they look like they have a really nice "Greyhound" type of tour bus that you ride in.

Also, I've ask in another thread, but figured I'd ask here as well.

Do all of the cave tubing groups go to the same place? I've seen a lot of different pictures from different companies (especially the ones that show the people jumping off the rocks into the water) and for some reason they all look like the same place no matter what the tour company's name is.

Also is this like a river that you are going down? Is it fresh water? Some of the pictures that I've seen look like the water is brown, others look a pretty aqua color. I was just wondering.

I have never used that company but I can tell you from what I saw yes all the companies do go to the same spot.

We went on an independent tour with Major Tom at cave-tubbing(dot)net and had a great experience. Our group was smaller and I didnt feel like we were herded around like cattle. By the time we got to the caves the majority of the cruise ship tours had already gone so it was not congested getting in the water, plus you go further down then the other excursions and get to go through 2 caves. The hike through the rainforest was really nice and our guides gave us bits of information about the local plants and animals, even got to try termites(optional of course).

We went in January so the water was not very high but it was alittle chilly but clear.

Jumping off rocks is optional as well, my husband is not adventiorous at all so he didnt do it, but my 7yr old son who is a daredevil(gets that from me) did jump and loved it, infact he did a swan dive!!!!

We loved the tour and would highly recommend Major Tom as a choice

Just got back from cave tubing. We went with Cave-tubing.com. I have gone with them twice now and have had a wonderful experience both times. Yes the water is brown and water level is very low. If the water level is very high they do not take tours nor does anyone else. Every tour uses the same area. They do have nice greyhound buses they use and they throw in lunch. just the nicest group of people you would ever want to be with. Their main concern is your safety and making you sure you are back before the last tender and definitely alot of fun.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't used that company either, but can definitely give the thumbs up to Major Tom.

AFAIK the cave tubing is all done on the same stretch of river no matter which company you use. Some take your further up stream than others though so you get to see more caves and have a longer tour. I think they all come out of the river at the same spot.

The water is fresh water. It is very clear and cool.

Can someone tell me how long does it take to get there from the cruise port?

Also, anyone that has recently used .bz what type of transportation do they use to get you there?

I just returned from Belize, used cavetubing.bz and it was great! 2 guides (J&J) with us, in a cargo van that seats total of 10. Good information on drive to river, stopped halfway at supermarket for drinks and snacks. Total drive time about 1hr.

Got in the park before the cruise ship buses, nice casual walk with option to go further up river to do more caves or just go with the rest of crowd, timing was good, and everyone agreed to go further up. Water was low for us but makes the cave look so much larger. Freshwater was clear all the way, I have underwater shots of the fish. I think it has something to do if they got rain fall before you arrive.

We rode water all the way down to when we crossed river, cruise tours pull out early at end of cave and make you walk more. At this time we hung around some and was able to jump of the rocks if you wanted, of course I did.

Once back in vehicle we stopped to eat at Vitalino's place, then stopped at market again for liquor and souvenirs at local prices.

It was a great experience and we will do it again! Enjoy your cruise!

I just returned from Belize, used cavetubing.bz and it was great! 2 guides (J&J) with us, in a cargo van that seats total of 10. Good information on drive to river, stopped halfway at supermarket for drinks and snacks. Total drive time about 1hr.

Got in the park before the cruise ship buses, nice casual walk with option to go further up river to do more caves or just go with the rest of crowd, timing was good, and everyone agreed to go further up. Water was low for us but makes the cave look so much larger. Freshwater was clear all the way, I have underwater shots of the fish. I think it has something to do if they got rain fall before you arrive.

We rode water all the way down to when we crossed river, cruise tours pull out early at end of cave and make you walk more. At this time we hung around some and was able to jump of the rocks if you wanted, of course I did.

Once back in vehicle we stopped to eat at Vitalino's place, then stopped at market again for liquor and souvenirs at local prices.

That sounds awesome. How long of a walk was it? (Like time wise). Also what time did they have you back to the ship?

We used cavetubing.bz in March. Fantastic company with great guides. The walk through the forest took about 45 min which included a few quick informational stops. You get to go through two large caves, a lot of companies just do one. We stopped for lunch which was included and were still back in port about 90 minutes before the last tender. Enjoy

We used cavetubing.bz in March. Fantastic company with great guides. The walk through the forest took about 45 min which included a few quick informational stops. You get to go through two large caves, a lot of companies just do one. We stopped for lunch which was included and were still back in port about 90 minutes before the last tender. Enjoy

That sounds great. I'm in to photography and I'm going to love walking in the rain forest and (hopefully) seeing the wildlife and vegetation. I do remember seeing on the .bz website that they stated they take you threw 3 caves instead of 2 (unless you don't want to go on). Did you not find this to be the case? (Not that it's a real big issue with us, just wondering).

we went through two large caves on the tubing portion. You will be in the water for about a hour or so. After exiting the second cave many companies were getting out of the water. We went down the river for another 15 minutes or so which was nice. We did go into a couple of caves during the walk through the rain forest. I dont think you will be disappointed with .bz

Enjoy your cruise.

Here's the downside of pretty much all the cave tubing operations...

1) its about 1.5 hour commute EACH WAY to the caves! Meaning you're there less than 2 hours (half that on the water), they are all based along the same stretch of river;

2) truth be told, these aren't particularly spectacular caves by any means (the helmets and lights are hardly necessary [show; to see what?]);

3) since a drowning fatality (?? hard to imagine:rolleyes: a couple years ago - the water's shallow "Butts Up!") operators require that everyone float down hooked together;

4) it may be fairly crowded;

4) blood banks will reject your blood for a year (ok maybe that's good thing;)).

The lengthy commute is the biggest downside; on a bus for 3 hours viewing fairly non-descript countryside. The nice thing is that it is a pleasant cool freshwater river through undeveloped terrain and the walk upstream is easy and pleasant. I've not heard a bad thing about any of the operators from a congeniality standpoint (Belizeans are a friendly bunch). One can jump into the river from a 8-10 foot overhang at the end (if so inclined). The locals peddle some nice and interesting carved river stone at the end.

I enjoyed the day but it was a 'once is enough' experience (IMHO). I'm going back to Caye Caulker next time.

Here's the downside of pretty much all the cave tubing operations...

1) its about 1.5 hour commute EACH WAY to the caves! Meaning you're there less than 2 hours (half that on the water), they are all based along the same stretch of river;

2) truth be told, these aren't particularly spectacular caves by any means (the helmets and lights are hardly necessary [show; to see what?]);

3) since a drowning fatality (?? hard to imagine:rolleyes: a couple years ago - the water's shallow "Butts Up!") operators require that everyone float down hooked together;

4) it may be fairly crowded;

4) blood banks will reject your blood for a year (ok maybe that's good thing;)).

The lengthy commute is the biggest downside; on a bus for 3 hours viewing fairly non-descript countryside. The nice thing is that it is a pleasant cool freshwater river through undeveloped terrain and the walk upstream is easy and pleasant. I've not heard a bad thing about any of the operators from a congeniality standpoint (Belizeans are a friendly bunch). One can jump into the river from a 8-10 foot overhang at the end (if so inclined). The locals peddle some nice and interesting carved river stone at the end.

I enjoyed the day but it was a 'once is enough' experience (IMHO). I'm going back to Caye Caulker next time.

It really sucks that it takes that long to get there. Just the trip alone is going to eat up 3 hours of land time. :eek: Yikes!

At first when I was trying to decide what to do in Belize, I read multiple people suggesting the cave tubing. I really didn't desire to do anything like this...but some how pictured it different than what it is. We are only doing it because we really don't know what else to do on the island and we are already doing the beach, snorkeling, and zip lining at the other ports. So, we figured why not try cave tubing...just to say we did it. Some how I picture this as being one of those islands that we can just say, "well, we did that before" and that will be the end of it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I booked the full day of Zip Lining and Cave Tubing with Action Boys and Don Ramirez. I am 67 and he is 60 so we're not your typical action-seekers. Still we wanted to have this experience. IT WAS PERFECT. It's correct that everyone goes to the same spot for cave tubing and Don was careful to get us there before the crowds arrived so we had an undisturbed nature experience. Our wonderful guide did pull us through the low spots; the end of the dry seasons means lower water and butts up!! The caves are amazing. And no one else was with us so we got amazing personal attention. Then we went zip lining. Again, just the two of us and two guides: one to send you off the platform and one to receive you. I did 8 jumps off 10 platforms. I felt totally safe and in very competent professional hands. I cannot reccomend Action Boys and Don Ramirez enough. And I am very glad we did not book through Carnival. We had a very special and private experience we'll always remember!!

I don't want to 'dump' on Belize - or its activities - and last of all its citizens!

Belize is one of the few regularly visited ports that remains relatively undeveloped with an untouristy feel. No 'Diamonds International' or 'Colombian Emeralds' - no 'Margharitaville'; the bars here are the charming 'real deal'.

Cave tubing is unique to Belize so 'go for it' if you will be having your fill of beaches elsewhere. The Belize river front country is nice - but it takes a long time to get there... I just think that realistic expectations best serve travelers. Belize offers nice people and real handcrafts. I bought a carved rock for a daughter out at the caves and I wish I'd bought another. I recommend you opt for lunch if offered by your excursion operator - because much time is on the bus.

Belize is open undeveloped Central America but with English language (former British Honduras). Caye Caulker is a small coastal key with 'old Caribbean' village (unpaved steets) adjacent the mesoamerican reef. Belize isn't a great or abundant beach locale - but it has spectacular diving and snorkling (as does Roatan and much of the other areas). Several excursion operators go out to the reef then drop off snorklers on Caye Caulker for an hour or two before heading back to Belize City. Caye Caulker has some scuba 'dives' guesthouses... It's kinda cool (wood plank water tanks, etc.)

Belize is rustic and largely unpopulated. That's a nice change from most places in the Caribbean.

I don't want to 'dump' on Belize - or its activities - and last of all its citizens!

Belize is one of the few regularly visited ports that remains relatively undeveloped with an untouristy feel. No 'Diamonds International' or 'Colombian Emeralds' - no 'Margharitaville'; the bars here are the charming 'real deal'.

Cave tubing is unique to Belize so 'go for it' if you will be having your fill of beaches elsewhere. The Belize river front country is nice - but it takes a long time to get there... I just think that realistic expectations best serve travelers. Belize offers nice people and real handcrafts. I bought a carved rock for a daughter out at the caves and I wish I'd bought another. I recommend you opt for lunch if offered by your excursion operator - because much time is on the bus.

Belize is open undeveloped Central America but with English language (former British Honduras). Caye Caulker is a small coastal key with 'old Caribbean' village (unpaved steets) adjacent the mesoamerican reef. Belize isn't a great or abundant beach locale - but it has spectacular diving and snorkling (as does Roatan and much of the other areas). Several excursion operators go out to the reef then drop off snorklers on Caye Caulker for an hour or two before heading back to Belize City. Caye Caulker has some scuba 'dives' guesthouses... It's kinda cool (wood plank water tanks, etc.)

Belize is rustic and largely unpopulated. That's a nice change from most places in the Caribbean.

Thank you for that wonderful description. It helps put things into perspective for those of us that have not been here yet.

I just wanted to jump in here and ask something. With cavetubing.bz, were they easy to find once you got off the tender? I got the instructions by email but it looks like a long walk. Do you actually leave the port area to find them? Also, if you were on carnival how do you go about getting one of the earliest tender passes? I heard they let the people booked through Carnival go first, is this true?

Thanks for any help! Your tour sounded amazing!

Holly:D

I just wanted to jump in here and ask something. With cavetubing.bz, were they easy to find once you got off the tender? I got the instructions by email but it looks like a long walk. Do you actually leave the port area to find them? Also, if you were on carnival how do you go about getting one of the earliest tender passes? I heard they let the people booked through Carnival go first, is this true?

Thanks for any help! Your tour sounded amazing!

Holly:D

I don't think you'll have a problem. I can't speak to cavetubing.bz specifically, but I'll try to describe 'the port area'. Belize City has no deep water shipping (at least visible) from the main town piers. That alone gives it a different look and feel. The entire city is only about 80,000 (25% of the nation's populace) mostly spread out away from the municipal piers. The tenders area has been fenced in somewhat to control coming and going - but the whole place remains pretty informal. Fronting the marina style piers and docking are some drugstore/pharmacies, souvenir shops, and bar spots that stretch along this linear access controlled waterfront. This waterfront is maybe 100-150 yards long max. You will walk either to your left or right sort of naturally depending on your drop off - to a central ingress/egress walk though. Excursion operators tend to monitor the water front and consolidate at this access which cruisers end up naturally gravatating toward (as they orient themselves). It is pretty hard to miss or be missed by the excursion operators. Punctuality is always commendable, but tender ports inevitably experience slow starts and excursion operators are used to it.

The entry point here has a rough street fronting it where the cave tubers will have their buses awaiting. Directly accross this small street is a small pastel painted 'tourist village' consisting of a few shops and bars - open air and pretty. Some operators direct their quests there to consolidate. Down this 'drive through' street will be open air vendors hawking local crafts and whatnot. Most tube operators move their buses for pick up and drop off through here. A couple operators walk their groups out of the piers/tourist village access area to a municipal park a short block away for pick up where it is less congested. I would anticipate if that happens that you will be accompanied by some of the operator's crew. The tube operators seemed to be well organized and well coordinated with the local authorities. Congestion exists along this particular street but it didn't really impress me as being much of a problem overall.

Belize City has had a few minor incidents of crime however to get into a problem area I really think you'd have to do some extended walking out away from the piers and tourist village. The country is poor but the city is fairly spacious. The comparatively low population minimizes urban squalor.

Hope this helps.

Wow!Thank you so much!!!! That does help. I hope I can find that street you are talking about as I am pretty sure that's where they said to go. That is a very vivid description and I appreciate you taking time to write it!

Thanks & have a great day!!!

Holly :D

Gilberto Perez with Challenge Travel and Tours is the best guide anyone can ask for. I picked him because of several reasons. The 1st is knowing we would be tied together but not having someone's feet under my arms, 2nd was I wanted to stop and get some Cashew Wine/Belikin beer away from the port, 3rd was the price at $50 pp (compared to $110 NCL) and 4th was he offered free rum punch. He forgot about the rum punch on the way but got some from a friend for the ride back. We got to taste termites (minty) and learned about some bada** ants and poisonus trees. All the guides from the different services seem to watch out for each other so don't let the 1 death frighten you (not w/this company). Accidents do happen. I wish they would pave a portion of the trail to the river for the drop off as it is a long walk when hauling a tube but Gilbert saved my arm halfway by taking mine. These tubes were the best with netted bottoms. I hate wearing life vests so we were clear to take them off after losing site of the authorities a few minutes after getting in. Can now say, we've been there, done that!

These tubes were the best with netted bottoms. I hate wearing life vests so we were clear to take them off after losing site of the authorities a few minutes after getting in. Can now say, we've been there, done that!

Whether you hate wearing them or not, it's a safety issue. Why would you risk it? Most companies will insist on you wearing a life jacket because their number 1 priority is suppose to be your safety. :eek: :confused:

We just back from our vacation cruise and we had the most extraordinary time. We went with a very responsible couple Nacho and Cynthia of NCQ Belize Adventures Tours. :) WE had a blast! They made sure that we did. Well i got in contact with them via email.As i sent the email i got quick response. Nacho called us right away and we started to plan.

He had told us that we would be one of the first ones at the site and so said so was done. We felt very comfortable and we were told all about their country as we went to the caves.

We did cave tubing and zip lining. The guides were attentive to us. Cynthia made sure we were safe and had lots of fun. When we got to the site, they explained to us in detail what we were going to do and how long it would take. They made us feel like we knew them for ever. Zip lining was a blast . Inside the caves now the guides made us link to each other and pulled us and keep making sure we were good at all times. It was so great. Lets not talk about lunch it was very delicious all u can eat buffet. Then we made our way back to the City and had so many time to go shopping. Belize was one of the best times we had on that cruise.

Hey===I know you!

Archived