stupid question on seasickness meds

tjevans

what exactly is motionmagique? Is it a medicine you take orally. What are the ingredients. The website did not exactly say.

Elation 4/04

Celebration 5/03

Legend 4/03

Victory 4/02

Sensation 7/96

Holiday 7/94

Celebration 6/93

Well I ordered it and it's a little packet of lambswool. I guess you stick it in your ear icon_confused.gif. I would assume it has to do with equalibrium. I haven't used it yet but was a little disappointed that it was just something I stick in my ear. I would think a piece of cotton would have done the same thing. I could be wrong.

sunset_gd_e0.gif

I was just thinking of ordering it as ih ave every other remedy just in case. but a peice of lambswool huh. with no instructions? maybe i will bring some cotton to put in my ear lol

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;07;04;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500First time cruise for our twentieth anniversary

Grandeur of the seas 7/4/04

"now thats what I call independence day!"

• 2 weeks later...

I would echo the warning about the patch. I cruised for the first time at age 19 with my grandmother. I had no idea I'd get seasick -- but I did, right away. The patches were hers -- I figured if they were OK for a little old lady, I'd be OK. I wore one the whole time. Didn't get sick, and had fun. But I did get a very dry mouth (tolerable), and blurred vision (could see fine, except to read).

For my next cruise (8/8), I'm going to go with Dramamine (nondrowsy) instead; that seems to work fine for me.

I get very motion sick, so took a lot of precautions before our last cruise. I took 1200 miligrams a day for one week prior to the cruise and every day on the cruise. I wore the patch without any side effects and brought Bonine just in case. I also wore ReliefBands on my right wrist. It's a bit annoying because you get a mild eletric shock every 30 seconds or so, but after awhile I didn't even notice it anymore. The only time I had to turn it off was during meals because the shock made my hand quivver, which made eating interesting.

I wasn't even the least bit queasy during the cruise and had a wonderful time. Ate and drank anything I wanted. It was wonderful!

I just recently went to my doc to get a script for the patch. She said to try it out before I go to see how I feel on it. She also suggested to do either the patch or bonine a day or two before I get on the ship so that it is in my system and I get adjusted to it. She said if you wait until you are already sick, it won't work very well or as well as it should.

Just thought I would pass that along!

DH and I both wore the patch when we cruised and we did fine. I felt nauseous the first day but I think some of it was anxiety about getting motion sick. MIL wore the patch in Alaska and she got really sick from it so she took it off and used bonine and was fine. She's a woman who got motion sick from EVERYTHING including being a passenger in the car when FIL was backing out of the driveway. This time we'll probably try the bonine and start a day or two early so that its in our systems prior to sailing. I may take the patches for good measure. Does anyone know if its safe to mix bonine and the patches?

DH and I both wore the patch when we cruised and we did fine. I felt nauseous the first day but I think some of it was anxiety about getting motion sick. MIL wore the patch in Alaska and she got really sick from it so she took it off and used bonine and was fine. She's a woman who got motion sick from EVERYTHING including being a passenger in the car when FIL was backing out of the driveway. This time we'll probably try the bonine and start a day or two early so that its in our systems prior to sailing. I may take the patches for good measure. Does anyone know if its safe to mix bonine and the patches?
Not sure about mixing the two since the patch is a prescription drug and the bonine contains meclazine which used to be.. check with an MD first, please:)

Don't forget the non-medical stuff too:

Book a mid-ship cabin on a low deck. If she starts to feel sick, go out for a breath of fresh air.

I am very prone to motion sickness in the car (especially if I read), but I had NO PROBLEMS on the ship. In fact, my husband and I agreed that we found it very nice to lay in bed and feel the ship move. I hope your finacee will be the same.

• 4 weeks later...
I've been on soo many and i'm used to the movements.

Hehe, its not about getting used to the movements. Being a severe sickness type person I know of which most of these people speak. I grew up and live in Colorado, and everytime we go into the mountains, my parents, friends, wife, eveyrone knows as soon as the windy roads are coming they better let me drive or else.

I am 25 years old and have been "getting used" to mountain driving that entire time and I still get sick as a dog if I dont drive. I have used Dramamine before on a flight from CO to FL and it didnt work too well for me(puked 3 times). So for our upcoming cruise im gonna give the Bonine(generic), pressure bands, and maybe even some cotton a try.

BTW, the website for that Motion Magic stuff is probably the worst thing I have ever seen in my life :D!

We are cruising 9/12/04 on the Mariner and taking our 8 year old daughter. I called her doctor today to see what I should take for her incase she gets seasick. He recommended Benadryl. Has anyone else tried this for children? If so, does it work? If not, what have you taken for your children?

Our cousin uses 1/4 or 1/2 patch when she arrives at the ship. She changes it every 3 days as indiated to the same extent. If she started to get seasick, or knew she was going into rougher water, then she might increase the patch. Based upon our itinerary on the Baltic cruise, there should be minimal need for a full patch.

Look closely at your cruise logistics, and plan accordingly.

Bon Voyage !!!

David and Judy

Celebrity Constellation 8/14 Baltics

Archived