Are the Steakhouses on the ship worth the $

luvmysox1

We booked on Conquest for next year. I was interested in trying the steakhouse called The Point. Those of you who have tried it, Is worth the extra money? We have been satisfied with the regular dining room but an option is apealing. The other ships I've been on haven't had one not including the NCL cruise.

The surf and turf has my attention.:D Thanks for the input.

YES!!! It is so worth it. We have only been to the one on the Valor so far, but we will be trying out the one on the Dream very shortly. I had the surf and turf and it was to die for! Don't get me wrong, we love the dining room, but the steakhouse is just an extra special experience not to be missed! I'm drooling just thinking about it.:D

I didn't think so. MDR food is good enough for me. (Or so I thought.)

That is until we went our last cruise on the Spirit. It is well worth the extra charge. The only problem was that I had to miss my favorite dish in the MDR.

DD had the lobster ravioli, DH had the chop(?, it was the one with the bone in) and I had the lamb. Each came with what I would consider a side but we were encouraged to order sides. We couldn't make up our minds so we were able to get one of each and share. Desserts were very good. DD is allergic to nuts and they were able to tailor the chocolate sampler for her.

When our main courses came out the seas were heavy and my lamb fell over. The kitchen on the Spirit was 20' from our table with a mirror over the sauce/side station. I was able to watch them upright my lamb.

DD ordered the Ceasar Salad. It's made steakhouse style-at the table and anchovies on request.

The first night they throw in a free bottle of house chardonnay or house merlot. You are able to take it back to the cabin with you.

I ate at The Point last Thursday and it was wonderful!!!!! It was worth far more than what I paid. :)

If I look around, I may be able to find the menu. I'll post it if I find it. I still havn't even had time to unpack.

thanks that would be great.

If you consider going to places like Ponderosa, Outback or Longhorn to be a quality experience, then don't spend your money.

However, if you have a more discerning palate and are looking for something more, in addition to a much more personal and elegant ambiance, definitely give the Steakhouse a shot.

We went to the Steakhouse on the Liberty and it was worth every single penny. Not only were the steaks superb, but every side dish as well. Also, the more personal and elegant atmosphere made us feel as if we had stepped off the ship for a few hours, left behind the other 3,000 passengers, and walked into an intimate and polished restaurant back home.

Definitely try it. If for some reason you don't like it, at least you'll know it's not for you.

Nope. Tips are not included. And I was clearly told that the only pay the steakhouse employees get are tips.

However, I'm not certain about that. I did see a waitress from The Point working in the desert counter on Lido one day.

The $30.00 per person INCLUDES the tip....( some people leave extra )

This is stated right on the Carnival web page..

I have a few questions about the specialty restaurants. I've never been on one on a Carnival ship. How do you make reservations in advance? Can you do it on Carnival's website or do I need to call my TA? I'd like to book it on a night other than formal night. Not sure when that would be. Would Carnival be able to tell me? Last question.....Can you order two entries if you wanted to like you can in the MDR? Not that I'm going to, but I'd like to know. If you get surf and turf, can you get extra lobster? I'm just not sure how it works. I'm leaving in a week so I don't have much time to plan.

I have a few questions about the specialty restaurants. I've never been on one on a Carnival ship. How do you make reservations in advance? Can you do it on Carnival's website or do I need to call my TA? I'd like to book it on a night other than formal night. Not sure when that would be. Would Carnival be able to tell me? Last question.....Can you order two entries if you wanted to like you can in the MDR? Not that I'm going to, but I'd like to know. If you get surf and turf, can you get extra lobster? I'm just not sure how it works. I'm leaving in a week so I don't have much time to plan.

No. You can't get extra, but you won't need or want to. They bring you extra courses in between courses, that you didn't even order, compliments of the chef. You won't leave hungry, I promise, and you may need to be wheeled out. You can reserve on line ahead of time and if you go the first night, you get a free bottle of wine.

We went on the Splendor and my overall impression was negative. The food tasted great, fresh, great quality, and plenty of it. BUT wait staff was constantly interrupting our conversation with "is everything ok", the "sommelier" looked like he was 14 years old and was just there to sell the most expensive bottle of wine on the menu, there were too many waiters for the few customers there and so it all felt intrusive. I know I'm gorgeous, but stop staring ;-)

Well, I'll be on the Splendor. It sounds like I should probably pass on the steakhouse. I'm happy with the food in the MDR, but thought I'd take my Mom to the steakhouse for an early Mother's Day dinner. I'll probably just wait till we debark (on Mother's Day) and take her to a nice restaurant on land.

The steakhouse is certainly worth going to for the experience.

A "tip" is included but you are encouraged to tip more.

Since you have no way of knowing how much of a tip is included I think Carnival is being dishonest with us for not telling us how much but encouraging additional tips.

Than the steakhouse servers (not being dopes) will tell you that a tip is not included in the $ 30 service charge.

In other words tip if you feel it is appropriate but you are under no obligation to leave additional gratituities.

Archived