JS downgrade to two D1 cabins? RCCL tries to jack up prices.

I have 3 people originally booked in a D1 balcony and then decided to pay extra for a JS about a month ago. Now I noticed there are two connecting D1 cabins available and the combined total of the two D1s would be less than my JS -- including the single supplement fee. This would be ideal to give my parents some privacy while I also had my own room. I understand the new price rules don't allow for OBC or refunds after final payment and am not requesting any compensation for the lower priced cabins, but I don't understand why RCCL wouldn't let me change to this room configuration without trying to charge me another $900 on top of the amount I paid for my JS. These two D1s already cost less than what I paid for the JS to begin with.

The pricing for the D1 cabins are exactly the same as they were when I originally bought them, so it's not like I'm trying to secure lower D1 rates to make this happen.

The ship is already sold out on JS and they could easily upsell someone else to a JS -- I already know folks would want one on the roll call thread for my sailing.

There's so many available cabins on this ship and less than 10 days from sailing.

Why is RCCL trying to play hardball on this change with loyal Diamond members? Has anyone ever downgraded without getting hit with added fees (even when the downgraded cabin costs less)?

I have 3 people originally booked in a D1 balcony and then decided to pay extra for a JS about a month ago. Now I noticed there are two connecting D1 cabins available and the combined total of the two D1s would be less than my JS -- including the single supplement fee. This would be ideal to give my parents some privacy while I also had my own room. I understand the new price rules don't allow for OBC or refunds after final payment and am not requesting any compensation for the lower priced cabins, but I don't understand why RCCL wouldn't let me change to this room configuration without trying to charge me another $900 on top of the amount I paid for my JS. These two D1s already cost less than what I paid for the JS to begin with.

The pricing for the D1 cabins are exactly the same as they were when I originally bought them, so it's not like I'm trying to secure lower D1 rates to make this happen.

The ship is already sold out on JS and they could easily upsell someone else to a JS -- I already know folks would want one on the roll call thread for my sailing.

There's so many available cabins on this ship and less than 10 days from sailing.

Why is RCCL trying to play hardball on this change with loyal Diamond members? Has anyone ever downgraded without getting hit with added fees (even when the downgraded cabin costs less)?

I can certainly understand your frustration at the situation. But for some reason, cruiselines won't "downgrade" after final payment. Sometimes rules just don't make sense, as in this case. Maybe just keep pressing and move up the ladder and you may finally get someone who will see the light. But my experience is that if that's the rule, it's very hard to get the powers that be to make an exception.

I can certainly understand your frustration at the situation. But for some reason, cruiselines won't "downgrade" after final payment. Sometimes rules just don't make sense, as in this case. Maybe just keep pressing and move up the ladder and you may finally get someone who will see the light. But my experience is that if that's the rule, it's very hard to get the powers that be to make an exception.

Yea, I'm going to keep pressing this until I arrive at port. Ironically, if a higher category cabin was available at a lower price, they would upgrade you to that cabin if you request it. :confused:

just for the future, think 3 times pay once at final payment, very little you can do after you cross that line.

The way they conduct business reinforces people with flexible travel plans to book at the very very very last minute. I already booked somewhat last minute at 45 days prior to sailing.

It turns out that 3-4 weeks prior to sailing is the best window to book. On top of that, book on Mon (C&A members) or Tues for your cruise so you can take advantage of their Royal Sales Event. Which occurs every week. You can save a whole lot and get higher cat cabins great rates.

Yea, I'm going to keep pressing this until I arrive at port. Ironically, if a higher category cabin was available at a lower price, they would upgrade you to that cabin if you request it. :confused:

Your problem is you are trying to turn a "single" resi into 2;)

It turns out that 3-4 weeks prior to sailing is the best window to book. On top of that, book on Mon (C&A members) or Tues for your cruise so you can take advantage of their Royal Sales Event. Which occurs every week. You can save a whole lot and get higher cat cabins great rates.

You may be disappointed if you try that. As many times that you see great sales, you will find that most cruises go way up in cost as the cruise date approaches.

Not every cruise (not even close) is included in the Tuesday sales

I would assume that it all comes down to which cabins they can fill last minute easier and maximize their profits. If it is easier to fill the two d1 cabins as compared to your js then it would make no business sense to let you switch.

Because they can...I am a D+ and recently had some back issues....wanted to see if I could get another cabin without the bed close to the closet on Oasis....supposedly all they had was a suite....They wanted $2000.00 more...I was OK with it but I needed to get home and get my credit card....long story short, got back home spent 2 hours on the phone (1.5 hours on hold, disconnected 4 times) they now wanted $7000 more..no way...even insuiated that I was not telling the truth about my earlier call even though I had all of the details (cabin #, $, person's name I spoke to and the fact he had spoken to the revenue dept)...no problem...after this cruise I will take my 2-3 cruises to another cruise line!

Call and ask for the resolutions dept. They can be very helpful!

I called them up again this evening... they will only credit the 3rd pax towards the second cabin. If I downgraded from JS to D1, I wouldn't be able to apply the credit toward the second cabin. I originally was in a D1 to begin with before I upgraded to a JS.

I'm done with trying to deal with RCCL... it's all about them making a quick buck.

I called them up again this evening... they will only credit the 3rd pax towards the second cabin. If I downgraded from JS to D1, I wouldn't be able to apply the credit toward the second cabin. I originally was in a D1 to begin with before I upgraded to a JS.

I'm done with trying to deal with RCCL... it's all about them making a quick buck.

Do I understand correctly that you are trying to change your booking from 1 cabin to 2 cabins? You started out in one D1, you changed to one JS and now want to change to two D1 cabins. Two cabins would be 2 separate bookings. You would be making a new booking for one of the D1 cabins. Sorry, but I do not think RCCL is being unreasonable in this instance.

Do I understand correctly that you are trying to change your booking from 1 cabin to 2 cabins? You started out in one D1, you changed to one JS and now want to change to two D1 cabins. Two cabins would be 2 separate bookings. You would be making a new booking for one of the D1 cabins. Sorry, but I do not think RCCL is being unreasonable in this instance.

You are correct with what I'm trying to do. Considering that pricing stayed the same whether I booked the two D1s from the very beginning vs. doing it now, why should I be penalized for doing it now if they have availability and I'm not trying to take advantage of a "new bookings" only pricing, and I'm not requesting any refund or OBC as a result of a "credit" that would have resulted by this change. Instead, I'm supposed to fork over another $900 to make this change work.

If you went to book what I'm trying to do right now, it's cheaper than the JS I booked for 3 pax. Likewise, if I booked the two D1s originally, it would have been the same price as doing it now. No difference.

You are correct with what I'm trying to do. Considering that pricing stayed the same whether I booked the two D1s from the very beginning vs. doing it now, why should I be penalized for doing it now if they have availability and I'm not trying to take advantage of a "new bookings" only pricing, and I'm not requesting any refund or OBC as a result of a "credit" that would have resulted by this change. Instead, I'm supposed to fork over another $900 to make this change work.

If you went to book what I'm trying to do right now, it's cheaper than the JS I booked for 3 pax. Likewise, if I booked the two D1s originally, it would have been the same price as doing it now. No difference.

I am certainy no expert and I understand that you want those two D1 cabins vs the one JS with no additional charge but I can see Royal Caribbeans side here.

You want to move 3 passengers to two cabins because it is cheaper now to book that way even with the single supplement. I get it. Problem is Royal Caribbean can book those two D 1's with at least 4 passengers and possibly up to 8 passengers depending on the room capacity. Those extra passengers will generate more in gratuities and on board spending than your three passengers (on average anyway).

Once you make final payment you are locked in unless you upgrade. That is the way the new rule works. It was great under the old rules when prices went down but that is history.

My advice, either pay the $900 for the extra room, privacy and two baths or enjoy that JS.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I like cruising, but the unfair rules are beginning to get to me. If the general consumer population wouldn't stand for it, they wouldn't do it. I thought that the old rules were restrictive, but at least there was some accommodation after the magic 90 days.

Now, it feels like "We have your money, shut up and go away. We don't care if you feel like kicking us in the teeth the entire time you sail with us. No, it doesn't matter that we don't lose by this change. It breaks the rules! Sucks to be you! Have a nice day and enjoy your cruise."

I am seriously considering going back to land vacations. I cannot deal with the stress of a cruise anymore.

Dorie

I like cruising, but the unfair rules are beginning to get to me. If the general consumer population wouldn't stand for it, they wouldn't do it. I thought that the old rules were restrictive, but at least there was some accommodation after the magic 90 days.

Now, it feels like "We have your money, shut up and go away. We don't care if you feel like kicking us in the teeth the entire time you sail with us. No, it doesn't matter that we don't lose by this change. It breaks the rules! Sucks to be you! Have a nice day and enjoy your cruise."

I am seriously considering going back to land vacations. I cannot deal with the stress of a cruise anymore.""

seriously?

Breaking news here !!! They are in the business to make a quick buck. It´s what the shareholders expect them to do.

Ironic, isn't it?

I used to try to fight for my rights, but now I feel too old and tired.

I could try another line, but I have been happy with RCI for so many years that it is hard to think about changing. I think that most rules are the same industry wide. It is the inflexibility of following the rules, even in rare, unusual circumstances that troubles me. Where else is final payment 90 days before the reservation? Then they keep everything EVEN THE TAXES which they don't have to pay out if you cannot go. They also don't pay the travel agent if you can't go last minute. They keep everything, even the parts that weren't theirs!!

They will not transfer anything. This is just another case of "We must follow the rules. We must follow the rules. We must follow the rules." They don't even seem to know that there are people out there booking with them. People that sometimes make mistakes or need an adaptation of the general rules. Cruise lines don't give customer service. They provide customer handling: Customers are handled to meet the cruise lines needs. The cruise line does not provide service to meet the customers needs.

This is just my opinion, of course.

Dorie

I am seriously considering going back to land vacations. I cannot deal with the stress of a cruise anymore.

Dorie

Unfair rules? Seriously? I think the rules of the cruiselines have been the most generous and flexible in the past compared to other businesses. The fact they are tightening the rules a bit in a tough economy does not make the rules unfair. IMO the rules are just getting a little on the even side and not too much towards the customer anymore. Don´t get me wrong I enjoyed it as long as it lasted, but I never felt like it has to be like this forever and always expected a change at some point.

If you feel cruising is stress for you and a cruise vacation doesn´t fit your needs anymore. I totally agree it might be time to get back to land vacations. Nothing wrong with that.

Ironic, isn't it?

I used to try to fight for my rights, but now I feel too old and tired.

I could try another line, but I have been happy with RCI for so many years that it is hard to think about changing. I think that most rules are the same industry wide. It is the inflexibility of following the rules, even in rare, unusual circumstances that troubles me. Where else is final payment 90 days before the reservation? Then they keep everything EVEN THE TAXES which they don't have to pay out if you cannot go. They also don't pay the travel agent if you can't go last minute. They keep everything, even the parts that weren't theirs!!

They will not transfer anything. This is just another case of "We must follow the rules. We must follow the rules. We must follow the rules." They don't even seem to know that there are people out there booking with them. People that sometimes make mistakes or need an adaptation of the general rules. Cruise lines don't give customer service. They provide customer handling: Customers are handled to meet the cruise lines needs. The cruise line does not provide service to meet the customers needs.

This is just my opinion, of course.

Dorie

I have had my taxes and port charges refunded to my credit card when canceling a cruise at the last minute.:confused:

I think you'll like the JS better anyway even with 3 people. The bathroom is WAY nicer, so's the closet. There's so much more floor space and storage. Even with the sofa bed open, it's so easy to move around with all that space.

You'll all have double cruise points. You'll have a kettle in the room which we've actually begun using.

The only disadvantage is that 3 will be sharing a bathroom but if someone is desperate - go to a public toilet.

Maybe RCI is doing you a favor and you don't realize it yet.

Gina

I think you'll like the JS better anyway even with 3 people. The bathroom is WAY nicer, so's the closet. There's so much more floor space and storage. Even with the sofa bed open, it's so easy to move around with all that space.

You'll all have double cruise points. You'll have a kettle in the room which we've actually begun using.

The only disadvantage is that 3 will be sharing a bathroom but if someone is desperate - go to a public toilet.

Maybe RCI is doing you a favor and you don't realize it yet.

Gina

I really like this 'glass is half full' scenario. Thanks for your post - and I bet you are right. We've never had a JS - maybe some day!

Archived