Galveston port insight

bertieboop1

HELP< I can't decide which one to go with! Dream Western or Magic Western ! What would you do? I want to book for Feb'12.

Used Port Canaveral and it was soo great and painless and just not sure about Galveston? we will be flying to Houston from Central Canada and there is not much info on shuttles etc, I would love any insight.

Been out of Galveston many times. Nothing to worry about on the embarkation /debark end.

They do have a waiting area with seats, although the seats can fill up reasonably fast - so if you plan to come early, come real early. Once they start the boarding process, it 's not a problem as seats will then open up.

Can't really speak to transportation from Houston airports. We always drive to Galveston. Hobby Airport is closest to Galveston, but many flights will come into Houston International. It's not like there would be a huge difference in transportation time between the two.

It's too far for taxi. Find a shuttle or book with Carnival for transfer service. Not certain what they charge for that.

Can't really speak to transportation from Houston airports. We always drive to Galveston. Hobby Airport is closest to Galveston, but many flights will come into Houston International. It's not like there would be a huge difference in transportation time between the two.

Unfortunately, there is quite a difference between Hobby and Bush Intercontinental. You'd probably be flying into the latter, which is 90 minutes to two hours from Galveston. There is a shuttle bus, but you'd have to wait a while until it fills up. Private transportation runs about $100USD per person each way. By contrast, Hobby is about 40-45 minutes away, a straight shot down I-45. You can get transportation for about $35-$45/pp. As much as I love cruising out of Galveston (it's a 45-minute drive for us), it would be a major inconvenience for you to fly into Intercontinental. FYI, the vast majority of cruisers out of Galveston drive to the port ... many of the remaining passengers fly into Hobby (Southwest, JetBlue, Frontier, Delta, AirTran and American, in descending order of inconvenience). It looks like you'd be better off cruising out of Port Canaveral. Have a great trip!

Al

Don't let jewopaho discourage you.

Intercontinental airport is 70 miles from Galveston, Hobby is 30 miles. There is transportation from IAH that is less than $100 pp. Hobby is more convenient and has several airlines serving it.

We found it takes just as long from Orlando to Port Canaveral.

Galveston is a great city, has an interesting history and a large collection of beautiful Victoriam homes. There is a lot to see and do here.

Travelers come fom all over the world to see Galveston and to sail from the port.

Come visit:)

Unfortunately, there is quite a difference between Hobby and Bush Intercontinental. You'd probably be flying into the latter, which is 90 minutes to two hours from Galveston. There is a shuttle bus, but you'd have to wait a while until it fills up. Private transportation runs about $100USD per person each way. By contrast, Hobby is about 40-45 minutes away, a straight shot down I-45. You can get transportation for about $35-$45/pp. As much as I love cruising out of Galveston (it's a 45-minute drive for us), it would be a major inconvenience for you to fly into Intercontinental. FYI, the vast majority of cruisers out of Galveston drive to the port ... many of the remaining passengers fly into Hobby (Southwest, JetBlue, Frontier, Delta, AirTran and American, in descending order of inconvenience). It looks like you'd be better off cruising out of Port Canaveral. Have a great trip!

Al

I appreciate your info because will be flying back to LA on 12/22/12. I read on a thread about Internet minutes that you're on the TA segment.

We're on the 32 day version sailing from Rome to Galveston & there's a roll call with those for either all 32 days, the 12 day Med or the 20 day crossing if you care to join it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1385530

Archived