Kudos to RCI itinerary planners

negc

Just learned that RCI has added a new port (Portland, Dorset, UK) to our 2012 westbound TA on Jewel of the Seas. This, after they had already added the Faroe Islands. They have also revealed a westbound TA for Brilliance of the Seas in 2012 from Copenhagen to Bayonne, a repositioning cruise from Bayonne to Québec City and a series of roundtrips from Québec City during the Fall of 2012. Certainly encouraging signs that RCI is looking for itineraries that are not the "same old, same old". Not sure how many, if any, other changes they have in store but it is certainly a positive move:)

Bill, I agree they've done a wonderful job.:) Hopefully they will keep adding great new ports on various cruises. My plans are set for this year and next but I'd like to see some new places in the future.

I'll be in Boston next fall BTW. I think you still owe me a drink.;)

I disagree. The itinerary planners don't know how to deploy their ships. They don't have anything along the gulf coast during the summer months, they don't have anything from California, they won't have any sailings to the Southern Caribbean in the summer of 2012 :eek:, and are deploying more than half of their fleet to Europe during the summers despite lower fares! Oh, and fares in Europe in the summer continue to fall.

However, Europe does have some higher fares (per night) compared to most other ships in the fleet during the winter months. But they decided to pull out one of only two ships scheduled to be in Europe this upcoming winter anyway, cancelling a year's worth of bookings for that ship (Navigator).

Thanks Royal Caribbean itinerary planners! Y'all are doing a great job! :rolleyes:

I disagree. The itinerary planners don't know how to deploy their ships. They don't have anything along the gulf coast during the summer months, they don't have anything from California, they won't have any sailings to the Southern Caribbean in the summer of 2012 :eek:, and are deploying more than half of their fleet to Europe during the summers despite lower fares! Oh, and fares in Europe in the summer continue to fall.

However, Europe does have some higher fares (per night) compared to most other ships in the fleet during the winter months. But they decided to pull out one of only two ships scheduled to be in Europe this upcoming winter anyway, cancelling a year's worth of bookings for that ship (Navigator).

Thanks Royal Caribbean itinerary planners! Y'all are doing a great job! :rolleyes:

I guess you would deploy their ships differently but since it is their job on the line if they are wrong, I guess they will have to face the consequences. Just because you would do things differently doesn't make you right and them wrong. Perhaps you don't fully understand the law of supply and demand or you think that they purposely disregard it when they decide where and when to deploy their ships.

Not all fares in Europe or elsewhere are continuing to fall much as you would like to believe it, but if they were to fall precipitously the lines have the ability to shift their fleet on short notice.

The examples that I cited indicate that RCI recognizes that we want more than the "same old, same old". That their decisions don't automatically coincide with your personal wishes is pretty much irrelevant.

By your measures, I guess they should leave more ships in the Caribbean when demand won't support them and in Europe in the winter when demand is lower than it is in the Caribbean. If I were still a stockholder with RCI I would not be happy with your decisions.

I have to agree that their European itineraries are giving us a lot of good choices. They have a short Norwegian Fjord cruise next year along with a 7 nt Scandinavian one that we have to decide on.

They can't put ships in every port. They have Celebrity cruises out of San Diego and San Juan.

I am sure their research and books showed that Celebrity sailings from these ports were more profitable than Royal, and the interest in European sailing has grown.

And after Brilliance comes over from Europe and does the Quebec itin, she repos to San Juan and sails from there as well as Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe. You all wanted something different, RCCL and Brilliance are doing it.

We've done two Brilliance southern Caribbean cruises, 11 nights and 13 nights, both outstanding! Will try to find time to do her again in the Caribbean.

Rick and Deirdra

And after Brilliance comes over from Europe and does the Quebec itin, she repos to San Juan and sails from there as well as Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe. You all wanted something different, RCCL and Brilliance are doing it.

We've done two Brilliance southern Caribbean cruises, 11 nights and 13 nights, both outstanding! Will try to find time to do her again in the Caribbean.

Rick and Deirdra

did not know that Brilliance is coming to the Caribbean. Wonder if Guadeloupe is to appeal to French passengers and other Europeons.

Archived